Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I got the
    water
    ending in SH2 and i read it was kind of the 'bad' ending but it fit the story so perfectly, i didn't want to unlock the others. What a goddamn masterpiece in psychological horror.

Had the exact same experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd prefer a collectathon for getting the "true" ending than having to play the game exactly a certain way at a difficulty that's not enjoyable. I know people didn't like the Riddler stuff in Arkham for the proper ending, but I prefer that than the above mentioned lengths you have to go to (and wouldn't have a clue about in general) to get it.

If there's anything that will spoil my enjoyment of a game it's an arbitrary collectathon. It's just padding for the sake of padding with absolutely no substance to it. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I'd prefer a collectathon for getting the "true" ending than having to play the game exactly a certain way at a difficulty that's not enjoyable.

Two endings is cool but anything more is too many. I remember completing Abes oddessy back on the ps1 and getting the bad ending.. always felt bad about not saving my friends.. eventually went back to save them all for the good ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Speaking of endings, never thought I'd get so irritated by watching someone chosing all the worst dialogue options in the Witcher 3 :D it's painful!

I feel I got a good enough ending in that, had to back track a few times to earlier saves because I realised I'd messed up after a certain event or whatever. I don't know if they guy I was watching was purposely choosing the worst options to get the worst ending [maybe it's their 3rd/4th time playing through] but it had me sighing a lot, had to switch off

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I played the first Marvel Ultimate Alliance and there are multiple story missions with all endings revealed based on what you did during the missions.
    From my playthrough the world was destroyed a couple times, but also I managed to save the world. and that was from a single playthrough.
    So multiple endings are one thing, but having multiple contradicting endings all at the same time, that's an achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Nothing to play so reinstalled Sleeping Dogs.

Brilliant game. Better than GTA5 every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

J. Marston wrote: »

It's so ****ing cool. Sickened the sequel got cancelled, badly needs a next gen version.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Don't forget to eat pork buns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

A man who never eats pork buns, is never a whole man!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I thought that game was a bit of craic but the driving is shocking bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I thought that game was a bit of craic but the driving is shocking bad.

It took some getting used to, but I don't remember it being that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

**** knows where to put this, but in any case, this is the crossover we all deserve...

https://twitter.com/doctoroak/status/1309427869538545664

Looks like the love goes both ways too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

gizmo wrote: »
    **** knows where to put this, but in any case, this is the crossover we all deserve...

https://twitter.com/doctoroak/status/1309427869538545664

Looks like the love goes both ways too...

that's figuratively awesome.

• Used to love Archer but it got a bit too bonkers and it stopped watching it a few years ago.

Used to love Archer but it got a bit too bonkers and it stopped watching it a few years ago.

It has been a bit hit and miss with the theme changes , but the last couple do some interesting stuff with takes on sci-fi, noir , classic adventure themes, before reverting back to where it began with an unexpected reveal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thought that was the Parasite house on a first glance!

Ubisoft are partnering with Amazon on their Luna game streaming service. Could end the speculation of UPlay coming to game pass?

https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/news/amazon/153961-amazon-luna-gaming-streaming-service

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm one of those casuals who rarely finishes a game these days. I jump in for the entertainment alone, make no promises to myself, and when it becomes a chore I'm out. I have completed many games over the years but I don't set out with that as my target now, it's more get as far as I can while still enjoying the ride; before it becomes stale [to me] - I find I'm enjoying this gamer side of me more

Same as myself, time constraints makes me just want to jump in and have fun and not invest hours into progressing, so I tend to reduce the difficulty levels a bit too.

Ubisoft are partnering with Amazon on their Luna game streaming service. Could end the speculation of UPlay coming to game pass?

https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/news/amazon/153961-amazon-luna-gaming-streaming-service

ubisoft have always been open to appearing on any and all platforms that would have them. Its actually no surprise that they were one of the first to be announced!

Ubisoft are on board for everything. I mean if a console launch hasn't got a ubisoft launch title is it even a console launch?

• Advertisement

I'm playing this now and I'm loving it. Pork buns, massages, knock off clothing in the markets...all good :)

Anytime I play GTA or Sleeping Dogs and I end up driving into the water, well once I exit the vehicle I wait and watch it sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hurrache wrote: »
    Same as myself, time constraints makes me just want to jump in and have fun and not invest hours into progressing, so I tend to reduce the difficulty levels a bit too.

I refuse to buy an SP game until I finish one of the many many many games I have.

I find that works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I refuse to buy an SP game until I finish one of the many many many games I have.

I find that works for me.

I think I'm suffering some kind of stress-related indecision. I'm currently mid-game in Factorio, Oxygen Not Included, Satisfactory, AOW: Planetfall, Portia, and something else I can't remember. All started in the last two weeks. That's not counting my new addiction to Rocket League, and a random bizarre detour into Mu Cartographer last night. I just can't focus on anything long enough to get into it for more than a couple of hours at a time.

Have you even played an old game were the themes have really dated and made you feel uncomfortable?

I'm playing Deus Ex and really enjoying it. I've tried to play it before and always been distracted and forgot about it but I'm in Hong Kong now and fully invested in beating the game this time.

One thing that really bothers me (other than some slightly dodgy Chinese accents) is the whole conspiracy theory theme. Back in the 90's just after the X-Files conspiracy theories seemed like a fun bit of nonsense. The talk of the illuminati running the world and secret organisations was a bit of fun nonsense. however with the rise of conspiracy theory nutters like anti-vaxxers, the anti-mask muppets, climate change deniers and QAnon and how much damage these people are doing to the world at the moment, well it's kind of uncomfortable playing a game that's having fun with conspiracy theories. Especially hits home as I just watched a documentary about these conspiracy theories groups and the read about the damage they do, even destroying families that get caught up in them.

Other things that haven't aged well are Hong Kong as free market haven for hackers and enterprise when it looks like it will be another part of the authoritarian hell hole that is the rest of China.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I find it hard to juggle any more than a couple of games at a time; especially with games that encourage exploration or new horizons, I tend to get tunnel vision with one of them & play it to completion (not 100% completion, just whatever's a middling sense of "right" ending). So that has enforced a vague degree of restraint on my purchases, that given the intensity with which I play them, I wanna be very sure I wish to play it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    is the whole conspiracy theory theme.
    Deus Ex is still a cult classic and I see it referenced many times because of these things. They've kind of immortalised it. Deus Ex feels like a prophecy in a lot of the things it brings up. Aside from the obvious 9/11 'prediction' that was based on RAM restrictions it caught things like France's 'meme war'

9MecPYi.jpg

The best video I'd recommend on this is Ross's game dungeon:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have you even played an old game were the themes have really dated and made you feel uncomfortable?

I'm playing Deus Ex and really enjoying it. I've tried to play it before and always been distracted and forgot about it but I'm in Hong Kong now and fully invested in beating the game this time.

One thing that really bothers me (other than some slightly dodgy Chinese accents) is the whole conspiracy theory theme. Back in the 90's just after the X-Files conspiracy theories seemed like a fun bit of nonsense. The talk of the illuminati running the world and secret organisations was a bit of fun nonsense. however with the rise of conspiracy theory nutters like anti-vaxxers, the anti-mask muppets, climate change deniers and QAnon and how much damage these people are doing to the world at the moment, well it's kind of uncomfortable playing a game that's having fun with conspiracy theories. Especially hits home as I just watched a documentary about these conspiracy theories groups and the read about the damage they do, even destroying families that get caught up in them.

Other things that haven't aged well are Hong Kong as free market haven for hackers and enterprise when it looks like it will be another part of the authoritarian hell hole that is the rest of China.
    The word you're looking for is prescient.

*Alexa, play The X-Files theme*

gizmo wrote: »
    The word you're looking for is prescient.

*Alexa, play The X-Files theme*

No, this isn't MGS2 which would be prescient. these conspiracy theories are pure fantasy and while Deus Ex treats them as fantasy and has fun with them, today we have groups that believe these modern fairy tales are true and doing enormous amounts of damage because of their misguided beliefs.

It's a bit uncomfortable and not really the games fault. It's hardly 'Birth of a Nation' (although that was pretty much reviled on release apparently) or Bioshock Infinite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think Deus Ex has aged fine, it's more than its target of theorising - the aforementioned Illuminati - feels quaint compared with the "astroturf" movements that more come to define international cultural chicanery. Equally, the idea that Corporations might rule the world from the shadows remains relevant but again, the difference being that there's nothing secret about their attempts.

Deus Ex suggested this may all happen unbeknownst to us all, whereas in reality the Amazons etc. of this world want us to embrace their dominion over our lives as something benevolant - sometimes wrapped up in superficial concern for once legitimate social movements. Hashtag culture being a particular toxic form of this shallow manipulation.

Advertisement