Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colours for this season

Options
  • 22-09-2016 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

I need some new clothes, fed to bits with all my old ones.
    Some skirts, tops, warm jumpers for this Autumn/Winter/
    Also leggins/tights/boots.

Thing is, I'm not very skilled at picking up the Zeitgeist. Prefer my own quirky taste which is focussed towards shape, colour, fabric and comfort (and very feminine) (no mannish drab for me!)

What colours should I get? fabrics? is there a distinctive look for this season, or is it just the usual bundle-up-against-the-wind look?

You up-to-date fashioneers, I would gladly welcome your advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I love layering different shades of grey in lovely luxurious faberics in winter. Then buy your staples (boots, coat) in black so everything goes.

I also love that winey colour thats around a lot at the moment. Also camel is pretty timeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Wine and grey and black, all good, thank you!

I wouldn't touch camel, because neutral colours render me completely colourless.

But great idea, re, layering fabrics; thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Lots of lovely greys around this year! M&S have a silver grey cashmere sweater I really like but will check TK Maxx etc first. Wine and mustard are my favourite colours that I'm seeing everywhere this year, and that lovely forest green.
    Totally agree with the poster above re layering pieces in the same colour, always look expensive!
    From what I gather from a quick flick through a few of the fashion mags, it's all about mixing texture this winter, so fake fur, velvet, boucle, super-soft knits... this is what I love generally so it looks like, for once, I'll be inadvertently fashionable AND will be spoilt for choice in the shops :)
    Very embellished bags seem to be the order of the day too - I'm declaring myself out of that one, I prefer a simple leather bag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Yes, lots of lovely wine clothes around this season. Lots of mustard too. Now I like mustard, but sadly mustard does not feel the same way about me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Mustard can be tough to carry off but I'm ginger with freckles and have found some items to suit my skin tone, there's hope for us all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

GingerLily wrote: »
    Mustard can be tough to carry off but I'm ginger with freckles and have found some items to suit my skin tone, there's hope for us all.

I'm a pale brunette. I might get away with mustard in a skirt though but as a top it's a definite no sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I thought the same but found a few pieces with shades that suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Wading back in, got to say I hate mustard. As also, any colour that recalls Porridge, Urine, or Old Bleached Wallpaper.

eg NOT a fan of Orla Kiely! I prefer to look dressed, not coated in dead leaves.

Yes, I'm a cranky old grouch, LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Metalics and velvet. Burgundy, red, loads of black, dusky pink... A lot of floral 90s/70s dresses (not my favourite). Space type prints. Knee, over the knee boots.

Oversized Vetements aesthetic is still very much around. Genderless clothing, interesting jeans oversized quilted jackets/coats. Scandinavian parred back look. I don't think it's great time for femine clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Have to say that Autumn is my favourite season of the year to dress for. Summer in Ireland is too cold for summery clothes, winter you just hide under a coat for 4 months! But with Autumn you can wear weather appropriate clothes that can actually be seen. Love being able to wear opaque tights and get some wear out of my skirts, especially my leather and my suede minis which I'm not confident enough to wear bare legged. Plenty of cardis in my press and layering of clothes. Love the burgundy/wine colour. Shades of grey that look so soft! I like a bit of navy myself, I'm trying to get away from too much black and I think navy is a slightly warmer colour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

meeeeh wrote: »
    Metalics and velvet. Burgundy, red, loads of black, dusky pink... A lot of floral 90s/70s dresses (not my favourite). Space type prints. Knee, over the knee boots.

Oversized Vetements aesthetic is still very much around. Genderless clothing, interesting jeans oversized quilted jackets/coats. Scandinavian parred back look. I don't think it's great time for femine clothing.

Oh yes, velvet is very in this season (take a look at Zara) and metalics are always fun with a palate of blacks and greys.

One of my favourite winter outfits is my black leather skits, black tights, ankle boots and an oversized cashmere jumper. So comfy. I bought a pair of silver brogues in folkster recently that will give me an alternative option just by changing the shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fashionblogger

Hi there

We have a boutique with lots of great casual pieces. Browns, navy, orange are very much in this season along with purple. Let me know if you need help with any picking and choosing. Love helping out with styling especially Autumn/Winter as there are always great pieces around!

Nina :)

Advertisement