Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tyre recommendations for bmw F10 M Sport

Options
  • 24-06-2019 7:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, need to swap out the rear tires on the car (front are at about 60%) but dealers are charging mad money - 275/35/19 runflats

So 2 questions:

Anyone get a source for rubber?
    And has anyone here swapped out RFs for regular tyres? (would like a less firm ride on our roads)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Try camskill. But 275 for 19 inch will never be cheap. You'll be looking at €200 plus per wheel I reckon and you still need someone to fit them. Firm ride most likely comes from the sports suspension? You can change for non run flats, but then you may be stranded when you have damage. Not sure about the 5 series, but my 3 has no room for a spare wheel, hence the runflats.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not DIY, moved to main forum

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Steamed Clams

I recently ditched RFTs on my F10 530d (255 rear 225 front 18s rather than 19s), and honestly can't find a difference in ride comfort or body control. Maybe a small bit more refined coming off large speed ramps, that's about it.

Car came with 4 mismatched ditch finder RFTs, replaced with Yokohama Advan Sport V105 for 115e a corner, front and back. Much more grip available, and quieter motorway road noise, but I'm not sure how much of that is attributable to RFTs or ditch finders. I sourced mine through tyreleader.ie, fitted locally for 15e a corner. They took about a week to arrive. Still saving almost 50e a corner compared to what the fitter could do for the same rubber.

I had a rear RFT get destroyed within 15 km (literally separated into two halves as I pulled into the fitters) from a regular screw puncture in the central part of the tread, so I don't really put much faith in them.

I put a plug kit off ebay and 12v compressor into the boot for punctures. Given my experiences with RFTs, I'd have more confidence in the plug kit keeping me going until I can get the tyre replaced. Any puncture that makes the tyre irreparable would probably do the same for an RFT, so either way you're waiting for your friendly neighbourhood mobile tyre fitter at the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Stick with the runflats op. On the F10 there is minimal difference to non runflats for comfort or handling, unlike the E60. Yes they are more expensive, but you'll be left stranded if you get a flat on non runflats unless you buy a spare wheel which will take up most of the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

https://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=148336

Your talking about €500 for a pair delivered.

If you are going non RFT then you will need to replace all 4 tyres, it's not advisable to mix RFTs and non RFTs together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

Thanks for the input lads. All much appreciated. I’ll stick with the RFTs as advised. Local fitters were charging 360 a corner for Michelin’s assy 3. Thought it was mad.

I have also been looking for a full set of 351s with tyres as mine need a refurb but finding a mint set with good rubber is proving very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

450 for 2 Falkens runflat xls on Oponeo. Or some lovely minervas for 77/tyre (dont buy minervas)

https://www.oponeo.ie/tyre-finder/s=1/summer/t=1/car/r=1/275-35-r19

dodzy wrote: »
    Thanks for the input lads. All much appreciated. I’ll stick with the RFTs as advised. Local fitters were charging 360 a corner for Michelin’s assy 3. Thought it was mad.

I have also been looking for a full set of 351s with tyres as mine need a refurb but finding a mint set with good rubber is proving very difficult.

Brand new set here with Dunlops http://www.4wheels.ie/p255/Genuine-Set-(4)-19%22-BMW-5-Series-M-Sport-351-Alloys-BRAND-NEW/product_info.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

Yes not cheap, but about €1750 cheaper than buying from BMW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Advertisement