Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Manual or automatic?

Options
  • 19-06-2019 8:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I’ve been learning to drive on and off for about the last 8 or 9 months. As of yesterday I’ve done 17 lessons. However, that’s all I’ve done. I don’t have anyone who can accompany me so I’ve been unable to get any practice outside of the lessons.

My first 13 lessons were in a manual diesel but my instructor at the time advised me to go automatic instead. He said that the diesel clutch was very forgiving and that the way I was driving it would not work well with a petrol. So I took three lessons in an automatic and it felt great. I had more of an opportunity to focus on the road ahead of me and less time fretting over what gear I was in or whether I’d stall the thing.

However, it has been suggested that my work could provide me with a car if I pass the test and I’d assume that this is reliant on me handling a manual. So I rearranged two lessons in a manual to see if things have changed at all. Yesterday, the instructor suggested that I drive home to Drogheda from where I work in north Dublin! Went along the old N2 and then across through Duleek and Platin. I could see why my previous instructor said the diesels are more forgiving as I must have stalled it about 10 times on the way. This time, my current instructor said he could see that I’m more nervous in the manual and that my observations are suffering.

I don’t know what to do. If it weren’t for work, I’d just say feck it, do the automatic and accept the code 78 on the licence. What do you think; should I slog away with the manual?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Go for the manual, it will take more practice, but it will be worth it. If you get your manual licence you can still purchase an automatic, but if you get an automatic you will never learn to drive properly. Plenty of practice is all it takes, and one day it will just click.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Ask the new instructor to take you somewhere quiet and master the control of the clutch. If you’re having trouble with it trying to master it in traffic when you’re anxious about it isn’t going to help. Work on moving off and stopping countless times until you’re getting it automatically. Use an estate like Rathmullan Park or even Donore Rd along by Funtasia.

Watch this video too. https://youtu.be/8ofUKNQyYBg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

My first 13 lessons were in a manual diesel but my instructor at the time advised me to go automatic instead. He said that the diesel clutch was very forgiving and that the way I was driving it would not work well with a petrol.

That sounds like a bad instructor to me, why not teach you better rather than advise you against.
    You would be far better to learn manual as gives you far more flexibility driving others people cars and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

Petrol/diesel cars are being phased out by 2030 and all electric cars are automatic. Just something to keep in mind.

If getting an auto licence will get you on the road earlier you could always sit the full test a few years down the line.

However, auto cars are less plentiful so you'll have less choice in the 2nd hand market

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Switch to an automatic, it's what my wife did and she was far more comfortable on the test with less to worry about.

No need to worry about flexibility, cars are moving towards electric, hybrid and other fuel sources, all of which have automatic transmissions.

Also the majority of rental cars across the world are automatic so you'll have no issue when traveling. Anybody that says different isn't moving with the times...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

You’ll get a split of opinion here and really the only opinion that matters.....is your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The problem here is not manual or automatic but the fact that you're not getting to practice outside of lessons. You'll find it extremely hard to build confidence without practice.

Any instructor telling you to abandon manual because it's not forgiving enough is an instructor that's not worth paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 just4klix

From what you say driving seems a big chore for you, so go for an AT. The additional cost/rarity of AT cars is a quirk in the Irish region, elsewhere you will be just fine.

Also, dont just assume that your Co wants you to drive an MT. Unless you are driving some kind of van/cargo vehicle, they wont even bother whether your license has restriction to drive only AT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Manual is dying, it was a technology that was good in the 70/80's. Automatic is a better technology

US etc phased out manual in over 90% of cars years ago.

People say to keep manual in case you need for something, not sure what? even new tractors these days are automatic.

The market is moving to hybrid/electric and they only come in automatic. Buy an automatic and it holds it value better.

Go for the manual, it will take more practice, but it will be worth it. If you get your manual licence you can still purchase an automatic, but if you get an automatic you will never learn to drive properly. Plenty of practice is all it takes, and one day it will just click.

Why?

I don't understand this, what exactly is not driving properly with automatic?

I have manual license, but I would never drive or buy a manual again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rabbidpeach

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Chopping and changing gearbox and instructors isn’t a great idea, when I learned to drive the first dozen or so lessons was all about clutch control and moving up and down the gears and it eventually becomes second nature.
    Practice more in the manual and then you will have the best of both worlds when you pass the test
    The problem here is not manual or automatic but the fact that you're not getting to practice outside of lessons. You'll find it extremely hard to build confidence without practice.
    Yeah, about that, I don't have family nearby and my other half is still on N plates so can't accompany me. I did my first 13 lessons in Drogheda and Dundalk with the same instructor but was only able to do them once a week, if even, at weekends. I have a very long commute by bus during the week so just had no time to do lessons in Drogheda. My 13th lesson went terribly and I almost packed in driving altogether.

So after a few months of doing nothing I decided to try again in Dublin with a new instructor where I could get two or three a week during lunch or after work. But as the last lesson went so badly, I wanted to try automatic to get my confidence back somewhat.
    just4klix wrote: »
    From what you say driving seems a big chore for you, so go for an AT. The additional cost/rarity of AT cars is a quirk in the Irish region, elsewhere you will be just fine.
    It does feel very daunting for me, in all honesty I never really wanted to do it, but needs must now.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I agree with you 100% , I had no practice outside of lessons and it took me 40 lessons to get test ready for the test, I was a complete noob at my first lesson

More than 5 years ago, I did my 12 EDT lessons + about 20 additional lessons. Even then, I failed my first test as I had no practice outside of those lessons.

Had given up until earlier this year. Bought a car, did 10 lessons with a different instructor, went out for practice between the lessons (with a mate from work accompanying me) and two months later I passed the test.

@OP
    I was no stranger to the clutch thanks to those lessons from years back, but inspite of that, I was stalling during the lessons/practice sessions this year. It takes quite some practice to really get used to it.

I was always nervous through all my lessons/practice and a bit even after passing the test. There were days I would wish for the lesson to get cancelled.:D But it kept getting better with practice.
    At no point did my instructors ever say anything to suggest that the nervousness affects my driving and that it will stay that way.

However, if you do feel like you would be more comfortable doing an automatic, I would check with your work if an automatic is also an option in what they can provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I went with auto, never a problem and I drive a hybrid anyway so there's no manual version. As for driving 'properly'... a car is a car. Autos are much more relaxing to drive and leave more mental capacity for looking outside.

Yeah, about that, I don't have family nearby and my other half is still on N plates so can't accompany me. I did my first 13 lessons in Drogheda and Dundalk with the same instructor but was only able to do them once a week, if even, at weekends. I have a very long commute by bus during the week so just had no time to do lessons in Drogheda. My 13th lesson went terribly and I almost packed in driving altogether.

So after a few months of doing nothing I decided to try again in Dublin with a new instructor where I could get two or three a week during lunch or after work. But as the last lesson went so badly, I wanted to try automatic to get my confidence back somewhat.

It does feel very daunting for me, in all honesty I never really wanted to do it, but needs must now.

Go automatic, don't mind the manual conversation. It's not like you can't buy an auto second hand, they have every price range in auto now.....you will be a lot more confident with auto

Clutch and gears....so old school :pb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Learn in a manual because if you do the test in an automatic you will only ever be permitted to drive an automatic. That won’t happen if you learn in a manual

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Gael23 wrote:
    Learn in a manual because if you do the test in an automatic you will only ever be permitted to drive an automatic. That won’t happen if you learn in a manual

In a few years there won't be manual cars.

Gael23 wrote: »

So?

As above manual is dying out. In electric/hybrid you don't have a manual option.

If I was 17/18 now and starting lessons I wouldn't even bother getting a manual license.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A manual gearbox isn't driving "properly" anymore than driving a car without a choke or starter handle isn't.

The days of manual cars for majority are dwindling day by day.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So?

As above manual is dying out. In electric/hybrid you don't have a manual option.

If I was 17/18 now and starting lessons I wouldn't even bother getting a manual license.

I still would, but only because for the next 3-5 years I would probably be buying a cheap, manual ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Find out if your job would provide you with an automatic car if that's all your licence is for.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    I still would, but only because for the next 3-5 years I would probably be buying a cheap, manual ICE.

You can buy a cheap auto no problem. You can get an auto Yaris etc no problem. They also hold value better than a manual as the market for auto is growing.

You can buy a cheap auto no problem. You can get an auto Yaris etc no problem. They also hold value better than a manual as the market for auto is growing.

Which proves the point that a manual will be cheaper.

Resale value has never been an issue for a car bought for a learner!

Which proves the point that a manual will be cheaper.

Resale value has never been an issue for a car bought for a learner!

Depends on budget, you can buy a auto starting at 1k.

If you had lets say 5k for first car, buy a manual, maybe a 2009 just for example. Keep 3 years and it would be worth what? 500 quid

Buy a auto which might be a 2008, but sell 3 years time and you get 1500.....

The years above are just for a reference, ok you might need to drop a year to buy an auto but when you try to sell on you will end up with a better product to sell.....

Driving around Dublin for 1-2 months and you will soon see the advantage of an auto....changing gears every 10 seconds gets very boring very quickly

Depends on budget, you can buy a auto starting at 1k.

If you had lets say 5k for first car, buy a manual, maybe a 2009 just for example. Keep 3 years and it would be worth what? 500 quid

Buy a auto which might be a 2008, but sell 3 years time and you get 1500.....

The years above are just for a reference, ok you might need to drop a year to buy an auto but when you try to sell on you will end up with a better product to sell.....

Driving around Dublin for 1-2 months and you will soon see the advantage of an auto....changing gears every 10 seconds gets very boring very quickly

Oh Im all in favour of automatics, but learners are often buying cars for €500 to start, nevermind being worth that 3 years later.

Oh Im all in favour of automatics, but learners are often buying cars for €500 to start, nevermind being worth that 3 years later.

€500 quid? not anymore....The Tiger is back.

The average for people spending on a car at the moment is 30k. That includes all cars. Most people getting a new car will take out a loan and probably spend at least 5k on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Switch to an automatic.
    My wife couldn't handle a manual car. She never looked back 12 years driving an automatic.
    My 3 daughters are all driving an automatic and I also switched to an automatic.
    All cars in 2030 will be automatic. Life is much easier driving automatics and they aren't as thirsty on fuel the way they used to be ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Your learning so learn a manual and do the manual test.

Otherwise you’ll have a licence restricted to automatic cars

• Registered Users Posts: 26 edora91

I have a full (manual) license, but I wouldn't bother with a manual unless I have to. It's too much of a distraction for me. Luckily, work let me pick my car, so I went for an automatic. Realistically, (automatic) hybrids and electrics are the future, only time when you would need a manual are the first few years. Having said that, manuals are cheaper to buy and more plentiful on the market, so doing the manual test can save you some money initially.
    As for getting a car from work, I'd check what are the options. Most hybrids would be automatic :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rabbidpeach

So I had another lesson today and it made up my mind for me. I'm going to do automatic.

I'm still having a lot of trouble setting off. Today, while at a T junction turning right, I was first in the line of traffic. Stalled and missed the light. On my second attempt I stalled again and the person behind me blew me out of it. Which made me even more anxious and annoyed. I don't want to deal with that sort of thing.

At the end, my instructor said that everything is going great except the gears. He feels I'd be ready for the test with another 3 or 4 lessons in automatic but couldn't give me a figure with manual. Considering that I have no chance to practice outside lessons, I think automatic is the better option for me.

• Advertisement

So I had another lesson today and it made up my mind for me. I'm going to do automatic.

I'm still having a lot of trouble setting off. Today, while at a T junction turning right, I was first in the line of traffic. Stalled and missed the light. On my second attempt I stalled again and the person behind me blew me out of it. Which made me even more anxious and annoyed. I don't want to deal with that sort of thing.

At the end, my instructor said that everything is going great except the gears. He feels I'd be ready for the test with another 3 or 4 lessons in automatic but couldn't give me a figure with manual. Considering that I have no chance to practice outside lessons, I think automatic is the better option for me.

Were you in a clearly marked instructor car?

Some people are just idiots, we were all there, just try to ignore them!

Advertisement