Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CHEAPO-ECO-MANIACS (sub-500euro)

• 26-04-2019 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

I'd like to start a new thread for cars 500euro or less with an indate NCT. Also I added eco as using & maintaining these cars thus saving them from the scrapheap is defo ecofriendly. Preferably economical cars but any car will do! Let's have at it!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd expect anything worthwhile to be few and far between. A lot I've seen advertised, were clearly becuase the owner felt insulted by the price from a scrap yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-hyundai-accent-1-3/21573038

I'll get the ball rolling with this yoke, 6 months NCT and enough change from €500 to fill the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

That's a very good car /milage /nct for the money. A bit ugly for me but should go for another good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭selectamatic

A good idea for a thread but doesn't the bangernomics thread already cater for this? And I'd certainly welcome more super cheap cars posted there.

A couple of posters (myself included) post sub €500 cars every so often. Just last week
    duke o'smiley sold a very clean liftback e11 corolla for €450 on the thread.

I've recently bought a perfectly running e11 saloon as a run about with a years test for well below this price mark too.

IMO the sweet spot for value, reliability, simplicity and finding well minded gems always seems to be late 90's cars.

If you're in a position to insure such cars cheaply it's very easy to get motoring for peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

ZDQ1NTU1MDZjZjQ2Njk0YTAzYzNhMGMyMzhhNDE3NjHjb-xxG0FuKFmwva7HChjPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjMzMzA5NzB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT for almost a year
    Road Tax paid until end of September
    1.4 Automatic
    Asking €590, probably buy it for 500 even

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

A good idea for a thread but doesn't the bangernomics thread already cater for this? And I'd certainly welcome more super cheap cars posted there.

A couple of posters (myself included) post sub €500 cars every so often. Just last week

I've recently bought a perfectly running e11 saloon as a run about with a years test for well below this price mark too.

IMO the sweet spot for value, reliability, simplicity and finding well minded gems always seems to be late 90's cars.

If you're in a position to insure such cars cheaply it's very easy to get motoring for peanuts.

While the e11 is an excellent car that can be bought cheaply it's just too old nowadays and difficult to get insurance on.

That hyundai is far newer than any e11 so it should be much easier to insure. While late 90's cars were simple with no complexity, those accents were in the same boat.

They weren't as good as an e11 but they do make a decent run around. They are reliable enough, easy on fuel, suprisingly nippy and they aren't unpleasant to drive.

Some do burn a drop of oil and things like wiper motors and window regulators can fail but overall they aren't too bad.

If I could go over €500 id go for a tidy mid 2000's civic or corolla instead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Most bangernomics posts are too over priced, with big tax on them,
    Proper banger should be bought with cash that's in your pocket all the time, not haveing to go to the hole in the wall.

Keep this thread to a 500 limit, with test, an it will appeal to me personally, what ever about anyone else

This comes from me who buys 98 corollas, for in around 350 euro and drive the test out and goes again, all redundant corollas are left in a yard of mine for a good scrap deal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Good idea for a thread. Personally I think it could be kept in the bangernomics thread but I know not all will agree with me on that. The beauty of bangernomics is that it offers a seat for every backside. Splinter threads just add unnecessary layers..

In my opinion this thread (or this idea) is best suited to those whose own car has blown up or failed an NCT or something, they can just transfer their existing insurance over to one of the offerings here and drive on until it stops/the NCT is up etc etc. No point in folks complaining that everything is too old to get a new quote on etc.

Anyway

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/clio-with-long-nct/21706970

NDdlMDE3ZmFkOWUyNWEyNTNjOWI3YTI3MTM5YWY1OGbhhAUWv8c02qyNEC37JToiaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjMzOTg1NTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT till 2020, looks tidy enough, you cane lucky owner no. 10 for €350

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-306-with-nct/21681132

YjM5MmZkOGQwOTE0ZTY1ZGZkODRlODIyM2YxMDJmNjh9H83r6qhkpxrXOHqaKh6SaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjMyMTEyODJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT till mid July, €200

Cheaper than a rental car for the summer!?

• Advertisement

N2QxNDU1YjJiZThhNGU4MTY3ZTEwNWYyYzhiZTIxMDV6MAzitS6r15c3zUTdTOviaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjM0MzEzMTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

62,000 miles
    NCT until Feb next year
    Looks like its been same owner for last 7 years
    €500

Whats the consensus on high tax offerings? Such as cheap diesel Octavias etc

Whats the consensus on high tax offerings? Such as cheap diesel Octavias etc

Throw them all in here! High tax, insurance maybe's etc. That's half the reason a lot of them are such bargains, and at the end of the day, like you said above, even if they are only a temporary car to switch insurance to for a few months, at least the option is there if people want to choose them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Great thread OP, thought about making it myself a few times, thanks.

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    N2QxNDU1YjJiZThhNGU4MTY3ZTEwNWYyYzhiZTIxMDV6MAzitS6r15c3zUTdTOviaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjM0MzEzMTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

62,000 miles
    NCT until Feb next year
    €500

Those Fiestas are great cars. They drive so well and the Ghia isn't bad at all on the inside. Can't keep the rust off them though. I used to buy them for €50 (or €100 if it was particularly nice) and they'd generally go through a test with relative ease.

IMO that one needs to be about half price..

Those Fiestas are great cars. They drive so well and the Ghia isn't bad at all on the inside. Can't keep the rust off them though. I used to buy them for €50 (or €100 if it was particularly nice) and they'd generally go through a test with relative ease.

IMO that one needs to be about half price..

Bought a 2000 one about 2 years ago at auction, and swore never again!
    Cost 120 quid, but between NCT and retest, and 2 broken springs, suspension bushes and a couple of small bits, I think it stood me around 430 by the time I got it through the NCT.

Ended up finally getting 400 quid for it, but to be fair, buying it at auction was a BAD move especially for a car that was never gonna make money anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Wonder does the fiesta racing championship have anything to do with the strenghtening of price on them ole girls. They're great craic to drive for sure.

Great thread idea, love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Mad_Mike wrote: »

62,000 miles
    NCT until Feb next year
    €500

And that car is a hoot to drive. In fact it's the best fun car I've ever driven. Pity it's a bit low on power. 100bhp would suffice.

NmUxYTBkZWE1ZWNmNmIxOGZmNWQxODk2YWZkNGYzNmHJNJ1Zl1fmFKCEIswO5jYbaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjM0NzgyMzd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT to July and taxed until end of the year
    €450

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-307-cabriolet-new-nct-beautiful/21633050

YmNmYjdkMThmMWMxZDFmZTZlNDVmZjhmYzUwNDk0Nzb6AsZ_uYAkl1Ph9VLJppIraHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjI4ODcxMjZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Provided you can live with a noisy release bearing this is alright! Years test, nice leather, small miles €500

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-307-cabriolet-new-nct-beautiful/21633050

YmNmYjdkMThmMWMxZDFmZTZlNDVmZjhmYzUwNDk0Nzb6AsZ_uYAkl1Ph9VLJppIraHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjI4ODcxMjZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Provided you can live with a noisy release bearing this is alright! Years test, nice leather, small miles €500

Added this to my watchlist last night!! Its been dropping slowly for last week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's silly really at that price.

The temptation is rife on a daily basis in this thread.

OTYxYzdiNjg0ODIyNzc5ZmIxZjg0ZDdlOTI2ZTc0OTbUoLHYuL0LDEURBA7ARNH2aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjM2MTkxNjV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

A bit rough around the edges, but it's a 04 Audi A4 diesel with a few months NCT and a bit of tax
    Probably drive it home for 500 quid as he's asking €550

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

Should be gettable for €500:
    Fiat Panda
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda-2005/21661599

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Ian OB

Disclaimer:- My Car

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mitsubishi-spacestar/21650384

Comes with a half a tank of petrol 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

That Audi has some paint peeling . Is that very much a reaction to sunlight overtime...some types of red paint seem to be v. subceptable to fade and peel?
    Would there be any good in a good rubbing compound and a bit of clear coat over it? Or what?

lalababa wrote: »
    That Audi has some paint peeling . Is that very much a reaction to sunlight overtime...some types of red paint seem to be v. subceptable to fade and peel?
    Would there be any good in a good rubbing compound and a bit of clear coat over it? Or what?

It has more than just a bit of paint peeling. Seems to be rough enough in a couple of spots, hence my comment about it being rough around the edges, but also why it's a 04 Audi for that kind of money.

Don't know what you would do really. I had a Fiat Cinquecento in red a few years back and was faded also. I buffed it up and used compound and it came up like new for a while, but went back dull eventually. Maybe I should have tried a clear coat on top

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I said Id ask for a friend, any chance of a small van in this price range with tax/nct etc? Ill ask in the other thread aswell if the mods dont mind...

ODE3MDQ5MmQ4ZjdlMzYxYmYzODk2ODgzMTViYWM2NjgDZ7BBhj8ctZBfIqf0XZlOaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjM3ODg4NDJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT until middle of June
    Low miles, and coming in at a fiver under our limit

• Advertisement

Seller is all over the place with this
    Went back up to €999 yesterday and seems that the release bearing is sorted
    Today it's at €850

Advertisement