Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice/help required. 09 Renault Laguna

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

rex-x wrote: »
    The problem with that is if the timing is off then the valves may be open at tdc skewing the test results. Timing should always be reset first and then leakdown/ compression after

Surely you’d only ever get a false negative though in that situation, which would lead to more investigation - not a false positive which would tell you to plough on.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Surely you’d only ever get a false negative though in that situation, which would lead to more investigation - not a false positive which would tell you to plough on.
    Marty.

Yes but the next step is head off, who pays for that if all that was wrong is incorrect timing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Yes but the next step is head off, who pays for that if all that was wrong is incorrect timing?

That would be jumping the gun surely... who’d take the head off an engine without checking the timing hadn’t skipped a tooth or 2.

Edit - I see you’d basically said the same. But yeah... get the timing in the right place using the old belt for now if it’s ok... before doing the leakdown test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

The problem with that is if the timing is off then the valves may be open at tdc skewing the test results. Timing should always be reset first and then leakdown/ compression after

Thought that went without saying, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LP64

Sorry about the late update. Got swamped with other problems so i havent talked to the garage yet. i talked to other garages in the area. 4 different mechanics to be exact and they all told me. if the car wasnt running well, they would have seen it before changing the timing belt. if they changed the timing belt the car was ok. if the car as problems now it's more likely they messed up the timing belt. i've been advised to go there and tell them i'm not accepting to take the car back and pay until they fix it. so wish me luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Good luck, and bonne chance !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

It looks like your workshop screwed you. Like I understand the car did not stop after the alternator belt trouble. They could read the wrong timing marks. Not every single marking are for timing belt/chain. 1 tip for you too. If you order the timing belt/chain replacement, then please ask to replace the tensioner and/or idler pulley too. Yes it cost money but you do not need to worry about these bearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I wonder did they mis-time the engibe swapping the belt. If they bent valves, it wouldn't run at all. There's no keyway on the crank so it's supposed to be locking tools to do the belt on that engine. If it was retimed, it might be ok....

I wonder did they mis-time the engibe swapping the belt. If they bent valves, it wouldn't run at all. There's no keyway on the crank so it's supposed to be locking tools to do the belt on that engine. If it was retimed, it might be ok....

Not sure there are interference or not. Some engine timing belt/chain can break without any damage for valves, some not.

I think it is time to reveal the workshop/mechanic name. If they do not fix their mistakes, everyone should avoid them and put out from the business. We living on the internet age and we share and communicate the information. If I screw something accidentally (expect the old fragile plastic parts) then I repair my mistakes. The information moves so fast to social media, it is incredible (or nightmare). No fix - no money, you brake it - you fix it should be the standard on that industry.

w211 wrote: »
    Not sure there are interference or not. Some engine timing belt/chain can break without any damage for valves, some not.

I think it is time to reveal the workshop/mechanic name. If they do not fix their mistakes, everyone should avoid them and put out from the business. We living on the internet age and we share and communicate the information. If I screw something accidentally (expect the old fragile plastic parts) then I repair my mistakes. The information moves so fast to social media, it is incredible (or nightmare). No fix - no money, you brake it - you fix it should be the standard on that industry.

That Renault 1.5 diesel engine is most definitely an interference engine and an aux belt becoming entangled around the crank is a known method of distruction with them. That has already been said previously in this thread.

My point is that it is possible to mis-time some engines when doing a timing belt and end up with poor / rough running as a result,but critically, without suffering internal damage. I have seen this happen. The cam and crank can be out fractionally resulting in this. The engine needs to be rechecked by someone familiar with it. If I'm right, it could result in a straightforward fix.

As for naming and shaming, the court of popular opinion sometimes operates without hard fact. Nobody here for certain knows whether the mechanic / garage have a case to answer or not. We don't know if the car was damaged by the belt, or if the garage did indeed screw up. I'm sure the mods will step in if names are mentioned.....

• Advertisement

Here's a video of a belt swap on that engine fitted to a Qashqai

https://youtu.be/H8941kD0nuo

Here yes modes can stop to telling the truth about bad workshop, but on facebook it is 100% allowed. They really likes there the drama, unfortunately. I do not want to see the blood, just the clear result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

The engine will run with bent valves no problem unless its well and truly mangled inside

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The bottom timing belt wheel may not be "keyed" to the crank on your car

If they undertightened it or overtightened it, it will slip

Y8nliil.jpg

IquM8fW.jpg

pAPxbfk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

LP64 wrote: »
    Sorry about the late update. Got swamped with other problems so i havent talked to the garage yet. i talked to other garages in the area. 4 different mechanics to be exact and they all told me. if the car wasnt running well, they would have seen it before changing the timing belt. if they changed the timing belt the car was ok. if the car as problems now it's more likely they messed up the timing belt. i've been advised to go there and tell them i'm not accepting to take the car back and pay until they fix it. so wish me luck
    Good luck boy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

gctest50 wrote: »
    The bottom timing belt wheel may not be "keyed" to the crank on your car

If they undertightened it or overtightened it, it will slip

Y8nliil.jpg

IquM8fW.jpg

pAPxbfk.jpg

Minefield

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭chicorytip

How was he able to drive the thing at all with a broken belt? There would be a complete loss of electrical power so the car would just stop dead in the middle of the road. He is obviously mistaken with regard to what the actual problem is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

chicorytip wrote: »
    How was he able to drive the thing at all with a broken belt? There would be a complete loss of electrical power so the car would just stop dead in the middle of the road.

Not until the battery died, which could be quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

chicorytip wrote: »
    How was he able to drive the thing at all with a broken belt? There would be a complete loss of electrical power so the car would just stop dead in the middle of the road. He is obviously mistaken with regard to what the actual problem is here.

:o

Advertisement