Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jaguar Land Rover cutting 4500 jobs in UK, Ford cutting jobs in Europe

• 12-01-2019 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭

Big news from the uk during the week jlr cutting 4500 jobs in the uk alone and ford cutting jobs in Europe slow down in sales in a lot of markets also china.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Brexit is like pneumonia or MRSA. You might be suffering with something else but they'll be what finish you off.
    Both companies have their distinct problems(China for JLR and poor model line-up for Ford) but BREXIT is pushing management over the line to pull the trigger.
    Vauxhall ex GM plants are being wound down as quickly as PSA management can do it politically.
    Ford lost a transmission plant in the UK in this round. It isn't as though they are loosing out to low cost countries because they can't give away the Ka and Ecosport. Fiesta and Focus both went to Germany and are ticking away nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Ford didn't build cars in the UK for many years.

Isambard wrote: »
    Ford didn't build cars in the UK for many years.
    That is not the point I'm making and if I know that powertrain/transmission plant is being shut down then you should understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

There had been talk of some steep discounts available on an XJ in the UK recently.

Brexit may have been a factor, but it is the third of three reasons given by JLR. It isn't so much that there are job losses that amount 10% of the workforce, it is the situation where it is difficult to know how or when the jobs being lost here would be coming back to the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

rivegauche wrote: »
    Brexit is like pneumonia or MRSA. You might be suffering with something else but they'll be what finish you off.
    Both companies have their distinct problems(China for JLR and poor model line-up for Ford) but BREXIT is pushing management over the line to pull the trigger.
    Vauxhall ex GM plants are being wound down as quickly as PSA management can do it politically.
    Ford lost a transmission plant in the UK in this round. It isn't as though they are loosing out to low cost countries because they can't give away the Ka and Ecosport. Fiesta and Focus both went to Germany and are ticking away nicely.

No idea of official figures but to my anecdotal eyes they sell truck loads of ecosports over here

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    No idea of official figures but to my anecdotal eyes they sell truck loads of ecosports over here
    where is here? It isn't where I am and carsalesbase.com says the captur is selling well between 100 and 150% more.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They sold 274 Ecosports here in 2018, Renault sold 1578 Capturs and Toyota sold 2505 CHRs (the Toyota is a lot more expensive though) and Dacia sold 1957 Dusters (Same price bracket as eco sport)
    Even the Opel Mokka which is dogdirt outsold the ecosport 3:1

I wouldn’t be basing anything on ecosport sales, it’s basically an Indian market car sold at a huge margin and is just being used to tick a box in Fords lineup.

rivegauche wrote: »
    where is here? It isn't where I am and carsalesbase.com says the captur is selling well between 100 and 150% more.

UK, Essex. Although I pickup on some weird Ford loyalty from older generations over here (I think) due to Dagenham not being a million miles away where lots would have had family work

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They sold 274 Ecosports here in 2018, Renault sold 1578 Capturs and Toyota sold 2505 CHRs (the Toyota is a lot more expensive though) and Dacia sold 1957 Dusters (Same price bracket as eco sport)

I wouldn’t be basing anything on ecosport sales, it’s basically an Indian market car sold at a huge margin and is just being used to tick a box in Fords lineup.

can I ask what experience you have of the Mokka?

I drove 2 versions of it at an Opel launch and had one as a rental. It’s seriously outdated at this stage. I was probsbky a bit harsh on it there, but my point is that it was nowhere near a class leader 5 years ago, and has the Crossland X to compete with within the Opel brand, but still manages to vastly outsell the ecosport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

There was a major thread about opel here recently that will answer any questions i drove one once and hopefully never again anyway jlr they wer doing nicely until the diesel scandal love the xf seriously tempting second hand in the uk

I drove 2 versions of it at an Opel launch and had one as a rental. It’s seriously outdated at this stage. I was probsbky a bit harsh on it there, but my point is that it was nowhere near a class leader 5 years ago, and has the Crossland X to compete with within the Opel brand, but still manages to vastly outsell the ecosport.
    thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Good post. I’m no Mokka fan but I’d have one every day of the week over an Ecosport or a Duster.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Jaguar Land Rover to slash 4,500 jobs as part of £2.5bn plan to reverse losses
    The British carmaker has been hit by falling sales in China, waning demand for diesel cars and Brexit uncertainty.
    https://news.sky.com/story/jaguar-land-rover-to-slash-4500-jobs-as-part-of-25bn-plan-to-reverse-losses-11603631

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Rarely see one and they are second rate rubbish. Hopeless against the competition. Ford have been going decidedly down market of late

road_high wrote: »
    Rarely see one and they are second rate rubbish. Hopeless against the competition. Ford have been going decidedly down market of late

As you've rarely seen one, I assume you've no experience of them, so your opinion is rather suspect.

road_high wrote: »

Seen more of them in town today, brand new one parked outside the swimming pool, I just assumed they were as popular everywhere. Actually, iirc the was a euromillions winner in town a few months ago and I read that he even mentioned that he'd just bought one as his first purchase. Anyway, this is OT, just surprised from what I read earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

There had been talk of some steep discounts available on an XJ in the UK recently.

Brexit may have been a factor, but it is the third of three reasons given by JLR. It isn't so much that there are job losses that amount 10% of the workforce, it is the situation where it is difficult to know how or when the jobs being lost here would be coming back to the midlands.

A new €1Bn plant and 3000 new employees in Slovenia tells you the answer to that question.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭road_high

As you've rarely seen one, I assume you've no experience of them, so your opinion is rather suspect.

I could have only seen one once to form an opinion. Do you have to see cars hundreds of times before you can make a call on them or not?

BBC show "Top Gear" always placed the Range Rover/Disco out front in the Clarkson years as being "best of British". Leaving this aside even, I'd say they got a lot of sales through the years from purely the "British" aspect.

With that aspect going/gone, they'll need to stand on their own two feet as a dependable, reliable luxury brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The Ecosport is Brazil-designed and engineered for that market. A market in which Dacia’s are marketed as Renaults.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Philb76 wrote: »
    There was a major thread about opel here recently that will answer any questions i drove one once and hopefully never again anyway jlr they wer doing nicely until the diesel scandal love the xf seriously tempting second hand in the uk

It wasn’t really the diesel scandal though: a combo of a fall off in Chiba sales, an overambitious attemp to challenge the 3 series, and an inability to build on its strength and brand history - failure to create a mass market crossover. Lots of U.K. job losses as the Bratislava plant gears up to assemble cars as well as components.priducing

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

All of the above also said in there statement fall in demand for diesel though could be attempting to justify the switch to eastern Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

BBC show "Top Gear" always placed the Range Rover/Disco out front in the Clarkson years as being "best of British". Leaving this aside even, I'd say they got a lot of sales through the years from purely the "British" aspect.

With that aspect going/gone, they'll need to stand on their own two feet as a dependable, reliable luxury brand.

Best of British lol ....for the last 10 years they're a subsidiary of Tata

It's fantastico

i67TWM9.jpg

Tata saved them. The same way Geely saved Volvo. The biggest criticism I’d have of Jaguar is that their non performance lineup is dull. I was a big fan of the older evolutionary stuff and I get that they needed a new direction - but the XF XE and F Pace look like Hyundai’s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

brand new one parked outside the swimming pool...iirc the was a euromillions winner in town a few months ago and I read that he even mentioned that he'd just bought one as his first purchase

If I won Euromillions I would not personally choose Ecosport as my first purchase. What a grim thought. Dang.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

No one likes to see anyone lose their jobs no matter where it is but its more than Brexit. The problems in no order from my reading around a bit are imo:

Brexit
    Diesel
    China
    Pricing
    Reliability
    Customer service

samih wrote: »
    If I won Euromillions I would not personally choose Ecosport as my first purchase. What a grim thought. Dang.

Yeah, I found the story again last night, t'wasn't the Euros, just 9ish million on the normal lotto so you can't blame him really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Tata saved them. The same way Geely saved Volvo. The biggest criticism I’d have of Jaguar is that their non performance lineup is dull. I was a big fan of the older evolutionary stuff and I get that they needed a new direction - but the XF XE and F Pace look like Hyundai’s

Maybe Tata should have left it die or put it out of its misery and started making Tiagos or something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

What about the bigger longer-term picture, regarding the all-important 'sales to china'.

Surely these days China will aim to start satisfying their own domestic needs, by themselves.
    Whether it's replica/knock-offs or just on price/incentives alone, it makes sense in light of a looming trade war.

Read somewhere they're aiming to replace their entire rolling stock of airlines (6,000 or so passenger planes),
    with their own boeing/airbus replacement - similar specs but cheaper.

Advertisement