Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ex-UK military classic import registration

Options
  • 30-05-2018 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭

Thoughts please.

Importing an ex-military Landrover from the UK. It's 1977 vintage, but has a '82 registration from the DVLA (the vagaries of how the DLVA allocated regs on decommissioning).

It's obviously a classic reg either way, but I wanted to ensure it got a reg corresponding to it's actual age - to avoid any need for NCT/DOE tests once it's registered. So, I'd look to have it registered with the actual age applied. To that end I've got official historic certificate of age, and the Landrover factory data on the release to the military, to confirm the age of the vehicle.

So... Has anyone managed to get a classic registered with a year other than the one indicated on the UK plate, on the basis of evidence of a different age? I've tried going the DVLA route, but they'll amend the V5C with a note on the age, rather than change the reg itself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

If you can get it with a MOT post 20th May you can get a 2 year NCT. Then when that is up it will be NCT exempt anyhow.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

80sDiesel wrote: »
    If you can get it with a MOT post 20th May you can get a 2 year NCT. Then when that is up it will be NCT exempt anyhow.

It's been sorned for a couple of years. With the '82 reg, it would be due another test in 2020 - it wouldn't be '40' until 2022.

I know the worst case scenario is it'll have to do two tests on it's '82 reg, but it's bound to be a headache - it's a forward control 101 ambulance, partial camper conversion, and bound to be a bureaucratic nightmare to test.

Following up on my original post with an outcome, for general info.

Finally (after two failed attempts to make registration appointments - thanks a bunch to the jobsworth in Arklow who wouldn’t entertain me after a red diesel checkpoint meant I was 10 minutes late for my appointment - and not another sinner in the place at the time) got the 101 approved for registration this week. Paying on Sunday. The registration office gave it a thorough going over, and accepted my certificates of build and delivery dates along with the (later registration date) certificate of export (V5C had been lost). A decision on what category and age to register it at were passed on to another office, and they got back two weeks later. 1977 it is. It’s already insured as a vintage vehicle.

So a positive outcome in the end. They didn’t bother levying a fine for the delayed registration - which wouldn’t have amounted to much anyway, given the low vintage VRT rate.

Sadly, the swapped engine in the thing isn’t going to cut it, so it’ll be a while before it’s ready for the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

all good then. :-)

as a comment after the fact, they go on the date on the V5C (when it isn't lost...) rather than the date on the plate.

Date on the V5C was the year of civilian registration - which I definitely didn’t want it registered as. I’d got a replacement V5C that had it flagged as a historic vehicle, but it was sent to an older holder address, and the seller refused to follow up with Swansea.

But all good in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement