Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Road Trip - Version 11.1

Pretty good, MPG, €/Litre, €/KM, KM/Day stats...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

Bling rhino, I traded my 330 back in for a 520d m sport after a year as I didn't rate it and couldn't live with what I perceived were it's shortcomings.
    I had a 520 before it and went back to one. They are a great blend of quality,performance, frugality in my opinion. There is a good reason there are so many out there.
    A golf r will be a much faster, driver orientated car. It is great value too and I doubt you will be disappointed.
    You most definitely are not mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kearneyrob

Hey guys, coming from an A5 quattro 2.0 tdi (170bhp) and test drove a 420d a couple of weeks ago before I ordered the GTD. 420d looks good but not impressed overall - would prefer A5 / GTD over 420d any day (tech an cabin superior). 5 series is a super car but too big if you are in it 95% of the time on your own (like me). Considered Mercedes A class but only for the looks - tech and cabin way behind both Audi and current Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Has anyone got their build week confirmed for their GTD / GTI / R?

I was told today that my GTI is confirmed for Build Week 4 (Changed colour to CSG a couple of weeks ago).

Apparently, it should be in Ireland a couple of weeks later. So looking at first or second week in February for pick up apparently.

My car was confirmed build week 3 but I was told to expect march delivery.
    Why the colour change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 kearneyrob

I have build in week 7 so March delivery at best.

I saw a couple of Limestone Grey Golfs (non-GTI) in a dealers and then went back to view the CSG GTI in MSL Ballsbridge.

Having seen it in the flesh again, I thought it was a better match to the GTI. Maybe that's slightly unfair given that the others were not GTI's but for me, it's the "safer" decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Allow anywhere from as little as 10 days to 5-6 weeks from your build date to actual delivery. This has been my experience. I'd say 3-4 weeks would be about average.

The car actually only takes a matter of hours to build but your car may literally just "miss the boat" to Ireland and there might not be another ship going to an Irish port for a few weeks after that. Then when it does eventually land in Dublin (after being at sea for 2-3 days!) it could be a few days before it's transported to your dealer and then they have to PDI, register it, etc etc.

My current car took about 4 weeks but that suited me as I wanted to wait for the July 1st reg change. The previous car landed in the dealers barely 10 days after the build date.

Thanks Joe.

I'm not in a mad rush for it anyway. Easy to say that now though. I'm sure that come the end of January, i'll be mad to get my hands on it!

I remember my Dad bought a Mark 4 GTI in 2001 from Bradys in Castleknock. 22 weeks lead time if I remember correctly.

His first and only new car he ever bought - and he let me drive it out of the showroom!

wow!
    that brings back memories to me. My first brand new car was a black golf gti 1.8T mark 4 in 1999. I ordered in February and got it in July.
    I remember it was 150bhp and generated 155lbs of torque and at the time I thought it was a rocket. 0 to 60 was 8.5 seconds I think.
    It came with a glass roof but you could delete the roof and pay a reduced amount to get manual a/c. Who in Ireland would be bothered with air conditioning when you can have a sunroof I thought!
    I think it was about 21000 pounds to buy which people told me was mad money for a golf...

• Advertisement

carsfan wrote: »
    wow!
    that brings back memories to me. My first brand new car was a black golf gti 1.8T mark 4 in 1999. I ordered in February and got it in July.
    I remember it was 150bhp and generated 155lbs of torque and at the time I thought it was a rocket. 0 to 60 was 8.5 seconds I think.
    It came with a glass roof but you could delete the roof and pay a reduced amount to get manual a/c. Who in Ireland would be bothered with air conditioning when you can have a sunroof I thought!
    I think it was about 21000 pounds to buy which people told me was mad money for a golf...

Haha, yeah, the standard spec on Irish VW's used to be truly shocking. I remember pricing MK4 Golfs in the early '00's and remote Central locking could only be gotten as part of a "tech pack" costing £700 (punts!) or something crazy like that.
    Early MKV GTI's came with standard sunroof too. Aircon could be spec'd instead - at a cost of course.

It's great that VW are finally spec'ing the cars properly.

Good memory. I had that tech pack which was the remote central locking and a trip computer I think.

Yeah it was pricey enough at the time. I think he paid 22400 pounds as he added the recaro leather seats which were expensive!

They had stopped putting in the recaros for the cloth seats and had replaced them with VW ones unless you spec'd leather.

Yeah I had the recaro seats which were a lovely feature.
    The car itself was a mixed bag. The engine was lovely I remember but handling was poor enough. I recall having trouble keeping up with a ford focus 1.6 petrol one evening over twisty roads. I could catch him on the straights but around the bends the focus could cling on where I struggled. The chassis on the mark 4 was not a strong point.
    I trade the car in in 2001 and got about 17000 pounds for it such was the demand for them.

4 grand depreciation in two years!

Not too shabby! I'd take that on the mark 7 :)

Quick question for those that already have their gti/gtd and may have this feature.
    Does high beam assist work by just turning on and off the high beams when required or is it the more advanced "dynamic" high beam assist that actually keeps the high beam on but moves the light down not to dazzle other road users?
    I tried to find this info online but am none the wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have high beam assist on my BMW. There is a button at the end of the stalk to activate/deactivate it. When activated it meaning that it switches between high beam and low beam automatically when it senses other vehicle lights ahead or street lighting. No need to set the full beams to on first at all. I'd imagine VW's system is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Quick question for those that already have their gti/gtd and may have this feature.
    Does high beam assist work by just turning on and off the high beams when required or is it the more advanced "dynamic" high beam assist that actually keeps the high beam on but moves the light down not to dazzle other road users?
    I tried to find this info online but am none the wiser.

VW offer both options on the new golf. Wouldn't bother paying extra for non dynamic assist.

I have the high beam assist on my current bmw. It has moved beyond just switching between high and low beam and actually moves the high beam around other road users to give you max light but not dazzle.
    What I would like to know is what way the vw system works.
    It does appear they have two versions, dynamic and a more basic version.
    I am getting a car with the technology pack but it doesn't tell what system that has.
    Anybody know?

I have the high beam assist on my current bmw. It has moved beyond just switching between high and low beam and actually moves the high beam around other road users to give you max light but not dazzle.
    What I would like to know is what way the vw system works.
    It does appear they have two versions, dynamic and a more basic version.
    I am getting a car with the technology pack but it doesn't tell what system that has.
    Anybody know?

You are getting the basic version. The dynamic light assist is much more complex and a fair bit more expensive. A friend of mine has it in his GTI. It includes a camera built into the rain sensor in the windscreen (which will recognise traffic road signs in conjunction with the Nav) and the headlamps themselves have different internals. Impressive stuff but I'm not sure I'd pay the extra for it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info joe.
    I suspected as much for the price of the tech pack.
    Still looking forward to the car any how
    Dealer rang me the other day to say car brought forward and will be here sooner than thought.

Thanks for the info joe.
    Dealer rang me the other day to say car brought forward and will be here sooner than thought.

Exciting times!

Thanks for the info joe.

What is your new build week as a matter of interest?

Apparently I had build week 5 which was moved to 3 and now 2.
    Don't understand why this is the case but I suppose the sooner the better.
    Maybe vw not getting as many orders as anticipated.
    Dealer says that cars ordered for customers get moved up over cars built for general stock.
    Your car will possibly be something similar as I think you ordered around same time.

I'm still build week 4 based on my last phone conversation with my dealer a few weeks ago.

I'll give them a call in the new year to see if it has changed.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

The high beam assist and rear camera were part of the package that vw were offering in November when I ordered the R. I presume it's also the basic version ?
    I had it on a BMW in 07 and must say I found it brilliant .

My dealer says " february" when he ordered it November 24th so that would be build week 6 or 7 ?

blingrhino wrote: »
    The high beam assist and rear camera were part of the package that vw were offering in November when I ordered the R. I presume it's also the basic version ?
    I had it on a BMW in 07 and must say I found it brilliant .

My dealer says " february" when he ordered it November 24th so that would be build week 6 or 7 ?

I ordered on 28th November and was told bw 4. The dealer said it could arrive in the country as soon as 2-3 weeks later (depending on when it makes it onto the ship) and then I'd be looking at mid to late February for collection.

Assuming you have a similar build week (bw 3 - 5), then when your dealer says february, it could mean collection rather than build week.

My order was 28th of November too so you might have gotten bumped up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Ah jesus, was expecting that it would be the dynamic one, I don't see it on the options list either as I would of specced if I knew it was different.

That mean we wont have the traffic sign monitoring or the lane assist then...slight disappointment.

Popping into my local dealer tomorrow (blackwater) if ye have any questions you want to ask?

• Advertisement

Damo86
    I checked my price list given to me by the dealer and it doesn't list dynamic light assist anywhere just high beam assist. I would have paid a bit more to get dynamic if I'd known it wasn't what we were getting as part of the tech pack. I should have done more research..
    Would appreciate if you could ask about this. I also don't have the traffic sign or lane assist option on my price list and I checked the configurator where there is no sign or no dynamic light assist either so maybe these features aren't on the irish spec.
    Why? I don't know as people would spec them if available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement