Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Not such thing as an NCT or equivalent in the USA.
    Some states have smog tests, but basic safety/steering/brakes etc?, nope.

I don't know they have what is called inspections and some states are stricter than others and some states have none and they do check emissions state depending they also check the OBD II ports for faults and have done for years which only just came in here. And you can have 2 faults stored if the car is older state depending of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I don't know they have what is called inspections and some states are stricter than others and some states have none and they do check emissions state depending they also check the OBD II ports for faults and have done for years which only just came in here. And you can have 2 faults stored if the car is older state depending of course.

Have you ever watched the "Vise grip garage" channel on YouTube?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

AMKC wrote: »
    Surely no car if it on the roads should be NCT avoidable. In fact the older it is the more important it should be that its tested.
    I doubt it would be like that in the UK with there equivalent test or even in America.

"Surely" doesn't come in to it, that's the way it is!
    It's saved many a classic to be fair. There's no hope my 52 year old BMW would pass an NCT by today's standards, and neither should it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

AMKC wrote: »
    Surely no car if it on the roads should be NCT avoidable. In fact the older it is the more important it should be that its tested.
    I doubt it would be like that in the UK with there equivalent test or even in America.

It’s the same in the UK, cars are tax and MOT exempt after 50 years. Most states in America have no test at all for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Not in Ireland obviously, but these are nice to see.

556809.jpeg

556808.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Ennis
    bZ0tcvw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

Lurching wrote: »
    "Surely" doesn't come in to it, that's the way it is!
    It's saved many a classic to be fair. There's no hope my 52 year old BMW would pass an NCT by today's standards, and neither should it.

Why wouldn't it?? Pre 1994 doesn't need a cat so emission targets are very high.

Brake/Suspension tests are straight forward and a quick visual on the lift.

I know it all depends on the tester, But no reason any old car shouldn't pass the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Anyone like to age this LHD Sierra?
    Cavan town today.
    3WGbV84.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Ford Mustang

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Honda Civic 1990

• Advertisement

Bentley

dvcireland wrote: »
    Ford Mustang

For some strange reason I'd say that was sold by malahide motors.

The amount of stickers they stuck on it.

For some strange reason I'd say that was sold by malahide motors.

The amount of stickers they stuck on it.
    it's parked outside their location

1991 Merc

Got a little spin in the diver's seat of this for an hour on Wednesday. 93 I think

51269456742_3af7198bce_z.jpg

51271229465_c4e1d38e62_z.jpg

51269456542_96f3de7548_z.jpg

51270200066_48240c36a3_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Have you ever watched the "Vise grip garage" channel on YouTube?
    :D

I'll be dipped, this one has brakes.....probably not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

E36Ross wrote: »
    Why wouldn't it?? Pre 1994 doesn't need a cat so emission targets are very high.

Brake/Suspension tests are straight forward and a quick visual on the lift.

I know it all depends on the tester, But no reason any old car shouldn't pass the NCT.

I have a list of things mine would fail on, none of which would be a safety concern, more inconvenience.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Got a little spin in the diver's seat of this for an hour on Wednesday. 93 I think
    Jaysus Duke, you were lucky you came away in one piece, what with the steering wheel being on the wrong side. :eek::D Great to see one still in service.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Jaysus Duke, you were lucky you came away in one piece, what with the steering wheel being on the wrong side. :eek::D Great to see one still in service.

I’m doing alright with the LHD, it’s two months now and I’ve somehow managed to keep between the hedges. This was the first manual though, took a few minutes to adjust but was grand.

I’m just afraid I’ll land back in Ireland and end up like one of those American tourists you see on the news for going the wrong way around the airport roundabout or something :pac:

I’m just afraid I’ll land back in Ireland and end up like one of those American tourists you see on the news for going the wrong way around the airport roundabout or something :pac:

That happened my father once. Early on a summer morning so it was bright and the roads were quiet. He came around a corner and some American came straight for him. A few polite words spoken about driving on wrong side and they both went on their way on the correct side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

206768427_2978738732448728_6326964416532437956_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=OWYLXdeNmhIAX9opUO6&tn=8VLxRSaSELn-DI3o&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=92316d51781aea1088cf81588d5716c2&oe=60DA415B
    206647350_2978738762448725_346367181508450887_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=FtoA_bgGtnAAX9kmrA2&tn=8VLxRSaSELn-DI3o&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=f60f5b47ef0fc7fb541014f749581e72&oe=60DB2259

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It's so hard to post the oldest car I saw on the road today, because most of the time it's my own :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

If you're driving it you won't have seen it on the road. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

In front of me this morning in Limk City. Early 80s?

tBdkybnl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fidoodles

Comhra wrote: »
    Early 80s?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam
    OMVWn80.jpg

EV7eEiw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I was passing one red Mini around Naas today and only then realized how tiny they are. Haven't seen one in a year.

Super tiny. You can park one sideways in a wide parking spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Immaculate looking Corolla GTI just quietly minding it's business :cool:

556986.jpeg

556987.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Spotted in Tuam recently

cbXpHa0l.jpg

A1XXTcnl.jpg

OkU1pI7l.jpg

vIzZIv5l.jpg

Kinvara today

ESEjyu5l.jpg