Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I drive a newly purchased second hand car from a garage before it's taxed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

lalababa wrote: »
    Till be a sad fecking day when you can't go into a garage/private sale and drive out the gap an hour later. But tis heading that way. You can still do it now . However I think insurance wise it must have an NCT booked? Am I right?
    Law of the land wise AFAIK it needs tax and NCT? The gaurds will give leeway for tax but will they for NCT?
    I'd imagine going strictly by law, a car cannot legally be drivin without tax or NCT?
    That is probably the case, cue lots of towing and transporting of cars from NCT centres.

The OP is trying to avoid a months back tax so that is why they are having issues.

There's no lee way with the NCT. If the car has no NCT it's not road worthy so can't be insured, not that the NCT guarantees roadworthiness but without an NCT it can't be road worthy. You can't tow a car without an NCT as its using the road, its has to be trailered or on the back of a recovery wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

No I wasn't trying to avoid any tax, I just wanted to collect the car from the garage and have it in my driveway while I sort out the tax disc, if this was possible.

But then later on I discovered that it's better to tax it from 1st July to avoid paying for June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

mrcheez wrote: »
    No I wasn't trying to avoid any tax, I just wanted to collect the car from the garage and have it in my driveway while I sort out the tax disc, if this was possible.

But then later on I discovered that it's better to tax it from 1st July to avoid paying for June.

But the vlc will have the date of purchase on it and youll still have to pay for june regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    But the vlc will have the date of purchase on it and youll still have to pay for june regardless

Interesting, ok so I'll pay the balance on 1st July :D

Only deposit is down

Or, well, do the transfer before 1st, and then garage "accepts" the payment on the 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mrcheez wrote: »

What's the annual tax and how much will you save by "buying" it next month? For a modern low CO2 car I can't see any benefit in registering the change of ownership next month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement