Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Current wait times for licences

• 16-06-2019 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

What’s the current wait time like when you apply for a new driving licence/learner permit? I know there were delays a few months ago because of everyone exchanging their UK licences but I believe that’s died down now.

I applied on Friday 7th June so I presume I can expect to be waiting until at least the 24th to receive my licence. Has anyone got their licence recently? How long did it take to get the dispatch text/receive it in the post?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

I applied on the 1st of June, I did a walk in at my closest NDLS centre. Got a text on the 12th to say it was dispatched and would take 3-5 Working days. No sign of it this morning before I left for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Vologda69

I applied last Monday. Got a text today to say it was posted. Think she said allow up to 5 days to receive it after you get the text message.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Would it be so awful if with all the proper paperwork you could walk into a post office and get a licence, why do the have to be 'Sent away' their talking of sending people to mars why is there wait list's in this day and age?

Or why can't they just take your photo and process it in the testing centre as soon as you pass? This could apply to both theory test and practical test stages. So annoying! Especially now with the new novice rules, legally you're still classed as a learner after you pass your test until you have the physical full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

GRACKEA wrote: »
    Or why can't they just take your photo and process it in the testing centre as soon as you pass? This could apply to both theory test and practical test stages. So annoying! Especially now with the new novice rules, legally you're still classed as a learner after you pass your test until you have the physical full license.

Because that would require the machines to print them in every NDLS center. I cant imagine those machines are cheap. Cheaper for them to centralise the printing.

• Advertisement

I guess they could take the picture and review your documents in the test centres, it could then be electronically forwarded to a centralised office/print centre. Which is what I think happens anyway as in the NDLS centre they just make a file and send it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

So for a full licence renewal but I would guess similar wait times :
    • NDLS appointment on Tue June 4th
    • Text to say dispatched Wed June 12th
    • Arrived in post today, Tue 18th
    So 2 weeks start to finish. BTW the letter that came with the licence was dated June 11th so matches a dispatch of June 12th but for the life of me I dont know why it takes almost a week for delivery when most places in Ireland have next day delivery.

Are they printed outside of Ireland and so shipped to some intermediate depot first ? Envelope it comes in has a PrePaid Irish mark and return address is Cork.

Advertisement