Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dehumidifier or CarCoon/Bubble

• 24-05-2019 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Recently bought an MG BGT and have garage storage for it. However after looking at things that I've left in the garage over the last year I can see bits of black mould so there's obviously plenty of damp in the air. I'm starting to plan for Sept/Oct when I'll need to worry about keeping the car dry. I'm hoping to still bring her out for a spin when the weather permits over winter. I think I'll need a breathable cover to keep it clean and a dehumidifier to keep it aired and dry. I think it'd need to be an industrial dehumidifier (€250-€450 from a quick browse) as the garage is quite long. A CarCoon type thing would do both jobs and it says somewhere it'd be cheaper to run than the dehumidifier. A place in Donegal on DoneDeal and Adverts.ie seems to be the only place for those types of car bubbles here. Any advice or experiences appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Dehumidifier will cost quite a lot if you need it to run 24/7 in a large humid unheated space like a garage

You could go the cheapo route: damp traps from Dealz (2 for €1.50)

Linky

That's what I use, they work great. But I don't have a garage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

unkel wrote: »
    Dehumidifier will cost quite a lot if you need it to run 24/7 in a large humid unheated space like a garage

You could go the cheapo route: damp traps from Dealz (2 for €1.50)

Linky

That's what I use, they work great. But I don't have a garage

They look good, thanks. Definitely an option to just stock up on them and leave them around and see how quickly they fill. With regards to the dehumidifier, the garage feels dry and I thought it'd be fine so isn't very damp. I would have thought running the dehumidifier once a week for a few hours would be enough to keep the level low enough.

They look good, thanks. Definitely an option to just stock up on them and leave them around and see how quickly they fill.

That's the idea. My Porsche (convertible) suddenly had one filled very quickly a few months ago. While it is normally really water tight. Turned out my passenger window mechanism had failed, leaving a small gap between glass and roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I'd go for the CarCoon. I bought one years ago and it was well worth it. I had zero problems with mould, etc afterwards. It runs on two small fans (that look like two computer fans) and charges the car battery also (and uses the car battery as a backup power supply if you loose electicity). Running costs were negligible, filters were replaced every few years.

The CarCoon is in two halves, a floor sheet that the car drives onto and the top/side part that lies on the car while it's inflating. I got a tad lazy with regards to the top cover (and also to stop it resting on the paint) I hung Guy Ropes from the ceiling of the garage. These were affixed to the loops on the top cover meaning I could lift the top half of the CarCoon up out of the way. It made it much easier to get the car in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tom petty

Carcoon bubble covers are awkward to use if you wish regular access to your car requiring deflation , removal and then recovering and inflation afterwards.........
    I bought an Airchamber 21 years ago and it is the best money I ever spent on my classic cars.
    Twin fans circulate air through the chamber but frankly they are not required , I last used the fans several years ago. My garage is well insulated but on a cold damp day with the doors open condensation quickly forms on the outside of the chamber but the inside is always warmer than the garage ambient. It's been dismantled and re erected and used in three countries over those years and still is as good as new with no wear or tear . Access is superb with access flaps on both sides and rear of the skeletal structure and you can drive the car in or out in moments.
    www.airflow-uk.co.uk

• Advertisement

Your E24 looks spectacular, Tom. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

tom petty wrote: »
    Carcoon bubble covers are awkward to use if you wish regular access to your car requiring deflation , removal and then recovering and inflation afterwards.........
    I bought an Airchamber 21 years ago and it is the best money I ever spent on my classic cars.
    Twin fans circulate air through the chamber but frankly they are not required , I last used the fans several years ago. My garage is well insulated but on a cold damp day with the doors open condensation quickly forms on the outside of the chamber but the inside is always warmer than the garage ambient. It's been dismantled and re erected and used in three countries over those years and still is as good as new with no wear or tear . Access is superb with access flaps on both sides and rear of the skeletal structure and you can drive the car in or out in moments.
    www.airflow-uk.co.uk

That looks that absolute business. Would definitely choose that over the carcoon for practicality of getting in and out. Now it's just about deciding which way to go based on cost! Thanks for the advice folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

The original CarCoon is awkward for access alright. That's why I hung the top half from the rafter using guy ropes. That way I could lift it up and it was hanging from the ceiling when not needed.

Also, CarCoon also have a rigid CarCoon now that has poles to make it rigid making it easier to get in and out.

Word to the wise, sometimes CarCoon are a tad slow to respond. I had that when ordering replacement filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I met a guy a few years ago who stored his car (something from the 1920s - big money too I think) in a Brian James race trailer. He reckoned it was perfect for storage. Has anyone else ever tried this?

Advertisement