Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Hannah : Fri 26 - Sat 27 April 2019

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

EURO 4 was showing lower wind speeds this morning ( post 49 ) , higher on the 12Z .

The main thing is that projected wind speeds have been maintaining if not rising slightly in most models for the last few runs.

1CAUuXo.gif

u75GAgv.png

Zwh4eLm.png

CrCZ3Kv.png

jo0qLrR.png

sSDDi2T.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The arpege 18z also looks like a slight upgrade this evening though I find it hard to view on mobile.
    I suppose, and rightly so Met Eireann will wait until the morning to make a final call between red and orange. It isn't an easy call but safety would probably sway them to red

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

This is ICON - Flash 1 day Hi Res model said to ' adapt to rapidly changing weather situations ', just runs to 30 hrs so in this case 22.00 Fri night, will keep an eye on it to see how it fares.

A39SLLu.gif

8yDMOot.gif

8wM97y2.png

UpmPJS8.png

5vlZ2dM.png

P1yFQMY.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Red not going to happen based on those. Met will just not issue based on such localised and brief potential for >130kmh at the surface

Those 140 150 160 spot figures are mountain tops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

sdanseo wrote: »

Those 140 150 160 spot figures are mountain tops

That's my house appearing in an episode of the wizard of Oz then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I wouldn’t like to be on top of Gaurrantohil at the height of the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,409 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There seems to be people staying on the great blasket island for the next couple of months. I mean it’s a lovely spot but I wouldn’t like to be there on that island tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

A wild night tomorrow but no need for Red Alert. Its not in peak time for work or schools...

High Level Orange very dangerous winds stay in bed and out of the pub!

ARPEGE 18Z just rolling out and would agree with JanuarySnowstor that it is another upgrade.

Showing winds gusting 140 km/h widespread in Kerry and 140 km/h overland as part of the stripe of wind ( of which a large area showing to be gusting to 130 km/h ) running from roughly Kilrush area to around Middleton.

Well , even if it is overestimating it a bit it is still showing serious severe wind gusts . ARPEGE one of the better models.

anim_lrr2.gif

anim_akh9.gif

7492_gvx7.png

3099_wab7.png

8751_ckk1.png

3123_ffv9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cork airport TAF issued now and valid until midnight Friday giving max gusts of 60 knots between 8pm and 10pm. Certainly enough to disrupt flights. Winds increasing from 3pm onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Shannon Airport forecasting max gusts of 62 knots between 8pm-10pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Graces7 must be batting down the hatches no sign of her on this thread hope all's well

I hope the AROME is wrong or I will be getting gusts 150 km/h+ just above sea level here in Kerry !

anim_qse8.gif

1996_ktr6.png

6167_vup3.png

1277_pxb7.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Lovely heavy rainfall now

Well looking at the 00z icon looks like yet another small upgrade. We've had minor upgrades on almost every run which is remarkable so close to the event.

The 00z gfs is a fraction further North but splitting hairs really with previous run.

Gem looks severe certain red for the southwest.
    Of course it's not one of the most prominent models. Ukmo hard to judge as it's first frame is 24hrs rather than 18.
    If it was me I would go red for Kerry and Cork as being the correct call. Particularly as trees are now in leaf and more damage is likely.
    Reading the morning text from Met Eireann they mention the word 'damaging gusts' quite a bit which tells me they are thinking red aswell

EDIT: Changes now to the orange alert with Tipperary and Waterford added

The local munster forecast on Met Eireann now updated and advising extreme caution for West of the province. That's got Red written all over it so would expect an updated warning very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The local munster forecast on Met Eireann now updated and advising extreme caution for West of the province. That's got Red written all over it so would expect an updated warning very soon

Thanks for the early updates. Forecast looks quite severe for Kerry/West Cork. Might be a warning update later this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 must be batting down the hatches no sign of her on this thread hope all's well

i am here; listening to a wild fierce wind and deluging rain out here..
    What met says re Connaught is way off beam.

"A damp or wet start to the day with outbreaks of rain but drying out for a time later this morning. Wet and breezy weather will develop this afternoon, in freshening southerly winds, strong to near gale on the west Galway and southwest Mayo coast. Cool, with top temperatures of 8 to 10 degrees."

Seems to be way ahead here. Wet and breezy already; hoping this does not mean the storm is ahead of schedule .

Have to bring seed trays in is all. Again! Stay safe folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Eh the warnings have disappeared from the met Éireann site....they are updating methinks!!

leahyl wrote: »
    Eh the warnings have disappeared from the met Éireann site....they are updating methinks!!

Well spotted so early in the day!

Back up again and still orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Well spotted so early in the day!

Back up again and still orange.

Ah I was sure from reading the last few posts here that they were gonna go red!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

I have never seen met eireann produce anything with so many variants of extreme written on it!! Now the big question, stay in Macroom or head to the city.

aisling86 wrote: »
    I have never seen met eireann produce anything with so many variants of extreme written on it!! Now the big question, stay in Macroom or head to the city.

Yeah I think they will go red for Cork/Kerry. They usually update those warnings around 10am or might be waiting on their own latest model run.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Hate to be one of those posters but I am driving home from Dublin to South Kilkenny tonight. Leaving Dublin around 8ish usually I go down the M9, am I best off to leave it till tomorrow morning or go down the coast road (M11)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Put up a trampoline Easter weekend. Have spent the last few days weighing it down and tying it to trees. Fingers crossed. Near Kinsale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭prunudo

Jpmarn wrote: »
    I wouldn’t like to be on top of Gaurrantohil at the height of the storm.

Bar the obvious danger element I've always thought it be great to be on top of a mountain during a storm. Just to observe and feel the sheer power and rawness of nature.

Been out to rescue seed trays. The sky to the south /west is dramatic. No mountains but a solid wall of deep dark blue clouds.
    Ominously shuddering..

met ie are catching up a litttle

But they keep changing the wind direction?

west mayo offshore island

• Advertisement

jvan wrote: »
    Bar the obvious danger element I've always thought it be great to be on top of a mountain during a storm. Just to observe and feel the sheer power and rawness of nature.

we get that out here too; west mayo offshore and it is where we live and have to cope also with the everyday things of life.

Advertisement