Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Gareth: Tues 12 /Weds 13 March 2019 (Orange Warning for NW)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Maximum gusts (kph) at Irish stations up to 2300 UTC on 11th Mar 2019

Belmullet 108
    Malin Head 97
    Finner Camp 94
    Roches Point 94
    Sherkin Island 90
    Cork Airport 90
    Mace Head 90
    Casement Aerodrome 90
    Valentia Observatory 87

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like the heaviest part of that squall line feature is heading towards Cashel / Clonmel area and possibly on towards around Kilkenny after.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

That is one huge storm system

8-C7-D993-A-6410-44-D4-A082-0-CF8-DE5-F8196.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Wind very bad here in south dub

Winds seems to be picking up ahead of this squall line. It’s still a bit away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ICON's latest run 21z showing stronger winds then earlier , very winy overland also but ARPEGE 18z not as strong as it's earlier runs ?

Still meed to see what the morning runs produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

antodeco wrote: »
    That squall line really is a thing of beauty!

475246.jpg

Passed through with some almighty gusts. Interesting temperature rose to a balmy 11c @ (before squally bit ) and then when wind direction changed away from ssw temperatures dropping fairly fast.

Right on the doorstep now.

73117-B34-23-E7-4912-A7-D9-F4-A37-F34-CE3-F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Winds have increased here dramatically in Palmerstown, west Dublin in the last 5 minutes after a brief easing. Radar showing the squall is approaching and over me in the next 20 minutes or so. No point in going to bed. May as well see what it brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Heavey rain and wind here in north kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Waste of time. Nothing dramatic. Goodnight

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Squall currently going through here like a b@stard. D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭emo72

Lucan squall incoming. Epic

And it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Just hitting Dublin 16 now. Nothing remarkable so far......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Wtf is a squall? On this forum a few years now never heard that word

A storm. Often involving a lot of rain.

Very windy in Dublin 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

My god nthat was fierce down in North strand D3

Decent enough squall went through in Kildare with hail and setting off alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

A squall - I think it's a white woman kidnapped by Indians and used for cooking and things!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This isn't a squall line, it's just the cold front. A squall line is a specific type of line of thunderstorms formed through convective processes, but this isn't one. It woke me up a while ago with rain bashing against the window but it's gone quiet now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

denartha wrote: »
    A storm. Often involving a lot of rain.

Very windy in Dublin 18.

Its not that.

This isn't a squall line, it's just the cold front. A squall line is a specific type of line of thunderstorms formed through convective processes, but this isn't one. It woke me up a while ago with rain bashing against the window but it's gone quiet now.

Just a squall so ? I didn’t realize a squall line had to contain convective characteristics.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its not that.

Then please educate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

tis windy and also somewhat rainy in dublin x)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

For those considering/asking 'was that it?', the orange warning for high winds (for the NW) only comes into effect at midday today.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

KingJeremy wrote: »
    Nothing from Graces7 in a long time :(. I miss her descriptive weather updates from the Mayo offshore outpost. I hope she’s ok and has the hatches battened down in preparation for Gareths arrival

i am here... having a very bad time healthwise so down to bare essentials...not been offisland etc since before christmas and keeping myself and cats fed etc is the main thing..

and of course I logged on when the storm was announced. where else but boards ie weather to get real info.. ;) I mean really !!!

Has been a long had battle this month weather wise. These are far beyond our usual winter gales. seems almost always at night...one blew out the door and a window of the old house alongside ... a bit of the roof hit my window hard.

Last night the orange marine hit us hard. Loud and obnoxious after a day of marble sized hailstones.. Y'day the door got away from me; slammed hard against the house and took every last bit of strength i had to get it closed again. Raw energy.... when it gets light will put turf and other soft heavy stuff behind it. not a power to be taken lightly.

else all prepared here. Looks to be going to be a bad one. will be around today all being well and I am praising westnet, our local internet server as never a flicker and the dish is on the exposed north gable end.

stay safe, please.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    For those considering/asking 'was that it?', the orange warning for high winds (for the NW) only comes into effect at midday today.

coastal and offshore have had orange gales last night. still roaring out here. hoping for a brief lull before Gareth breaks in. a little quieter just now but keeps breaking into sudden hail storms.. west mayo offshore outpost

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This will be a long duration event for exposed areas of the northwest but the peak appears to be around 7 to 10 p.m. from gradients on most guidance. However, these things usually build up in waves so it won't be that straight-forward.

This will be a long duration event for exposed areas of the northwest but the peak appears to be around 7 to 10 p.m. from gradients on most guidance. However, these things usually build up in waves so it won't be that straight-forward.

Getting whiles of total silence, then sudden growls and snarls. and yes in for a long haul today. deeply thankful for good forecasting as i got extra turf etc in ready. Very rare to have fires lit in mid march.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

silent in Portarlington, except the wife has just got up so won't be for much longer.

Advertisement