Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The White Christmas Thread 2014

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not snow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Not a good run

15864774199_584a8c04b4_b.jpgxmas

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Place a bet that by sunday the synoptics will have changed. We are still in the realms of F1. So lets not draw to conclusions too quickly. I still think we have a potential surprise in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Villain wrote: »
    Not a good run

15864774199_584a8c04b4_b.jpgxmas

I no we are still in fi but I don't think that will happen at all. Just can't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Place a bet that by sunday the synoptics will have changed. We are still in the realms of F1. So lets not draw to conclusions too quickly. I still think we have a potential surprise in store.

not a hope

dull & dreary is how it will be

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    not a hope

dull & dreary is how it will be

Baaaaaaaaahhhhhhhaaha! !!!!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Once these things start to go pear shaped, well I don't ever recall it being pulled back, at least not here.
    Oh well, plenty of time for reloads, this roller coaster isn't done yet!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,793 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Might as well move your money to a stake on the Queen abdicating at this stage....

This party's over, I'm going.......out to another party.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looking unlikely for snow on the 25th, still a bit early to say, if anywhere will have a chance its high ground in the northwest, but not looking great at the moment.

After the 25th still looking interesting but a long way to go.

Not a mild Christmas Day on the 12Z GFS. -2 in Leinster at 6pm.

150-580UK.GIF?19-12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It may feel a bit like a white Christmas if there's a thick frost in the morning, at least you'd be looking out on something white although not snow. Slight chance from current guidance of a few light flurries in parts of the northwest perhaps, but things are very uncertain past about mid-day 23rd at this point, would not want to write off chances altogether yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

mt nobody has a clue about the weather these ridiculous threads should be closed down, them models "predicting" snow at 5 30 pm on jan 21st or whatever are a load of crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

Not aimed at you btw mt i know you do good short range forecasts which are a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

mt nobody has a clue about the weather these ridiculous threads should be closed down, them models "predicting" snow at 5 30 pm on jan 21st or whatever are a load of crap.

Christmas is on the 25th of December is it not? This is the white Christmas chat thread remember... 6 days away not over a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

hey jack o shea ill never forgive you for the cr&p was you made Mayo play when you managed them. Snow or no snow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

also i do NOT think Xmas day will have snow but like you say MT it will be cold so frost and a dry day in general wouldnt be too bad.

A lot of the FI snow gets pulled back once the date arrives and on previous runs the 26th to 28th were looking a snow fest, now just the 27th. In Ireland when we get snow it tends to be for a few hours or a day or two since Climate change kicked in big time.

With the exception of 2010 of course. A truly exceptional year in terms of snow. It would be a lot to expect a repeat

Close the door on hour way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Well, 4 days out its pretty much set in stone that Christmas day will be cold with frosts to start and end the day (will be an ice day in North facing areas methinks). With the possibility of snow in the days that follow I must say I'd be very happy with that any Christmas.....

See:-

ECM0-96sjv7_mini.png

and

gfs-1-108eym8_mini.png

Very seasonal.

In fact, according to MT, there might be a few, generally in the NW, who could even get an official White Christmas. Will keep an eye on that....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Well, 4 days out its pretty much set in stone that Christmas day will be cold with frosts to start and end the day (will be an ice day in North facing areas methinks). With the possibility of snow in the days that follow I must say I'd be very happy with that any Christmas.....

In fact, according to MT, there might be a few, generally in the NW, who could even get an official White Christmas. Will keep an eye on that....

VIgrqQc.gif

ECM showing a slight chance of wintry showers in Donegal early on Christmas morning. Should be a dry day pretty much everywhere else though.

141221_1200_90.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

not a snowball chance in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Anyone else put any money on a white xmas. I put a 5 note on 3 months ago at 40-1/ Looks not very good :pac:

Doesn't look good at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

rilz wrote: »
    Anyone else put any money on a white xmas. I put a 5 note on 3 months ago at 40-1/ Looks not very good :pac:

Doesn't look good at all

At least you got good odds. 40-1 is in fact very generous - up North I suspect you get a technical white Christmas every decade anyway. You sometimes hear of guys getting 3-1 and the like!

In any event, I wouldn't 100% rule out some snow during the 24hr period in question in your neck of the woods.....

Advertisement