Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When was the last 3 completely dry days in a row in the Northwest?

• 06-01-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭

I was driving home and the road was dry and I asked myself this question.

When in fact was the last time there was ONE completely dry day in the Northwest. In fact does anyone know how many days it has rained in a row at Finner or Malin.

All answers welcome.

I was thinking April myself but maybe July, though on those days there was mist in Donegal.

It has been miserable. Will someone let me know so that I can at least have a dry day to look back on.

(oops thread title should read - when WERE the last 3 completely dry days in a row in the Northwest)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I can't help you on the figures but it seems like there were certainly no more than two days dry in a row since april, it has been a truly miserable year. I have quite a lot of lawn to cut and getting the oppertunity to get at it was rare, and gave up in september and it looks really crappy.

The ground is so saturated I am having problems with a few young trees where they have been blown back and forth by recent storms that the ground is liquefying and am needing to stake them again after removing them 2 years ago.

I will be interested in the figures if someone comes up with something, I would love to know the total rainfall here last year, I must invest in a weather station.

seems like we havn't had a reasonable summer up here since 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i have 11 dry days recorded from the 13/04 to 24/04 :rolleyes:

edit: just noticed your request for historical dta (only had my weather station since xmas 2010)

but the rainfall in nov and dec was pretty bad, i'm further north so we prob had more than you did

anyway my stuff is here http://www.edcoconsulting.com/weather/start.html

if you click on the little green arrows you can click through monthly data (some of it is missing so if nothing changes it prob isnt there ....one day i'll fix that !)

187369.jpg
    ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

April was the only dry spell of note we had in the whole of 2011 from my memory, and even then we were choked by smoke from the wildfires all week so it wasn't exactly enjoyable. Truly has been an awful year for sunshine

Did we manage 3 days in a row in late September/early October? That's the only other good spell I can think of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Harps wrote: »
    April was the only dry spell of note we had in the whole of 2011 from my memory, and even then we were choked by smoke from the wildfires all week so it wasn't exactly enjoyable. Truly has been an awful year for sunshine

Did we manage 3 days in a row in late September/early October? That's the only other good spell I can think of

I think there was a period in mid to late September where we did get some dry warm weather here in Sligo but I don't remember for how long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

pauldry wrote: »
    when WERE the last 3 completely dry days in a row in the Northwest)

Going by stats from Markee Castle in Co. Sligo only, the last time there was 3 consecutive dry days in a row at this station occurred between the 13th & 15th November last.

Below is a chart showing when 3 or more consecutive days when less than 0.1mm was recorded since April last at Markee Castle and also Casement, just to show a comparison with an east coast station:

187406.jpg

Another chart containing more rainfall stats for both Markee and Casement for the same period:

187418.jpg

And just to complete, monthly totals at both stations since April last, up to yester:

187405.jpg

Sorta wetter in the northwest alright..

All data used above C/O Met Eireann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

While my station had thrown up some quite interesting blimps in terms of total rainfall...(sorry keep meaning to get around to fixing those but my procrastination finger keeps growing longer :pac:)... at the present time my station happily informs me onn a daily basis that I have a new record of rainy days... its up around 47 or 48 by now :( By the looks of things I should have gone to Markree for a day or two in November for a break ;)

EDIT: I just see that its saying there is no rain today... well I am pretty sure that is wrong, it might be just to misty to catch a reading, but take it from me, its miserable. Might have to check me bucket this evening, just in case the spiders took refuge from the storm in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭pauldry

wow. the amount of information people provide when you ask a question that you dont think you are going to get an answer to is unbelievable.

well done all.

trying to remember that spell in November DE. I do remember going for one or two walks alright in November. Was there a Southeasterly for a couple of days.

Last year seems to be W NW winds for most of it blowing a spray of mist to the West and North even on dry days elsewhere.

Well the rainfall in Sligo town since November 1st is 292mm though now I look back on it when I reset my rain gauge it was near the start of November and it didnt rain for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Glad to see the back of 2011 myself - an utterly forgettable year weatherwise with a particulary unpleasant summer for all:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Glad to see the back of 2011 myself - an utterly forgettable year weatherwise with a particulary unpleasant summer for all:(
    Not for all :)
    While the summer here was cool, it was driest summer since 2006 and the year as a whole was dry, driest since 2002.

Very much off topic as I'm in east and there is often an east west bias, very evident last year

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Currently on day 54 of rainy days in not so sunny Ballybofey

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

For God's sake lads! - if NW Tourism catches sight of this thread ye'll all have to emigrate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It was a great summer for grass, though an interesting statistic was in this weeks Farmer's Journal.
    Mayo had it's wettest year in 25 years.
    Johnstown castle had it's driest year in 40 years.
    Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow, Laois and Kildare suffered from a drought on more than one occasion which affected grass growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I was a at home there over Christmas and my dad, who has lived there all his life, was as down as I had ever seen him about the weather. He was pining for the cold weather we had last year. He said he couldn't remember the last time we had a few days together of good weather and the number of "storms" in the past few months had been higher than normal.
    Sometimes there are benefits to living on the east/south coast but usually only when it comes to the weather.

It seems the wild weather stirs some weather gene - it seems like a huge proportion of the active weather posters here come from NW of a line from roughly Galway to Derry.

Relative to population the difference between, say, Donegal and Dublin must be humongous.

Anyone got any analysis of that? :)

Wild Bill wrote: »
    It seems the wild weather stirs some weather gene - it seems like a huge proportion of the active weather posters here

come from NW of a line from roughly Galway to Derry.

Relative to population the difference between, say, Donegal and Dublin must be humongous.

Anyone got any analysis of that? :)

thats cos we get weather ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

My station is showing longest dry period 2 days to the 15th november (have only been able to record this data after a recent cumulus software upgrade) Have my station up and running since july 2011, total yearly rainfall since then is 1334.7mm:eek: based in east mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Going by stats from Markee Castle in Co. Sligo only, the last time there was 3 consecutive dry days in a row at this station occurred between the 13th & 15th November last.

Below is a chart showing when 3 or more consecutive days when less than 0.1mm was recorded since April last at Markee Castle and also Casement, just to show a comparison with an east coast station:

187406.jpg

Another chart containing more rainfall stats for both Markee and Casement for the same period:

187418.jpg

And just to complete, monthly totals at both stations since April last, up to yester:

187405.jpg

Sorta wetter in the northwest alright..

All data used above C/O Met Eireann

Deep, where did you get the info for Markee castle? I don't see it on met.ie. Would be handy as its only up the road from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

How was the weekend and today? 3 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭John mac

yup so far so good. best 3 days for a looooon time. :)

Joe Public wrote: »
    How was the weekend and today? 3 days?

yep if it makes it through this evening ! (didnt it rain fri evening ? - yep between 4 and 5pm on friday)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Dry here now since the 12th of January. No rain recorded.

http://www.tylercollins.co.uk/weather/record.htm

Dry here now since the 12th of January. No rain recorded.

http://www.tylercollins.co.uk/weather/record.htm

Ditto.

Though I'm Northwest of Bray :D

Advertisement