Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mr Kitty O'Shea - Captain Willie O'Shea - the Most Vilified Man in Ireland - Why ??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

CDfm wrote: »
    I was always under the impression that her aunt had left her money to cousins and she had no money and that was the reason for the divorce.

There is a reference here to a deal where Willie was to be paid £20,000 for a divorce and couldn't wait for the money

He had to divorce her to get his hands on her (and because of marriage his) inheritance. If he had just stayed away from her he would not have got any (?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

He had to divorce her to get his hands on her (and because of marriage his) inheritance. If he had just stayed away from her he would not have got any (?)

That of course does not mean he was not gotten to but if so - by whom ?

Edit - Johnnie - 120 years ago they were just as bad .

That of course does not mean he was not gotten to but if so - by whom ?

That is the question, perhaps more interestingly was O'Shea got to by Parnell's opponents or was it Parnell's own people? I suspect that would be pushing the bar out a bit much but their apparent glee at his downfall would make you wonder.

1119.jpg
    Kitty O'Shea

1117.jpg
    William O'Shea

1115.jpg
    Post-divorce cartoon showing Parnell using the fire escape to evade detection.

608.jpg
    Parnells funeral in Dublin (note Nelsons Column I think in background, whatever one thinks of its symbolism, it is certainly a more impressive feature than the spire!)

605.jpg
    Parnell addressing angry crowd in 1890 in Kilkenny, this epitomised the division in the party as his candidate went against the Home rule parties candidate.

http://multitext.ucc.ie/viewgallery/531

Katie's brother Field Marshal Evelyn Wood VC died in 1921 and this is his funeral on British Pathe news .

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIJpWpwc_jba6l71frE5C-BQf55HmhqBipH9XEFlDmi45E392BMg

He earned his VC rescueing an Indian Merchant who had been kidnapped and was about to be hanged

normal_00281-Funeral-of-King-Edward-VII--General-French--Sir-Evelyn-Wood--Lord-Roberts--Lord-Kitchner.jpg

Here he is in 1910 with Kitchener, Roberts etc at King Edwards Funeral.

Katie's father was a one time Royal Chaplain.

It is just speculation, but she may not really have been an Irish Nationalist.

• Advertisement

Here is something that might put things in perspective. Politics at that time was full of intrigue and here is an extract from Wilfred Swawen Blunts diary.

He was a diplomat and mover and shaker at the time.

There is more of the diary here in e-book format & the extract is from page 12

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/wilfrid-scawen-blunt/my-diaries-being-a-personal-narrative-of-events-1888-1914-volume-1-nul/page-26-my-diaries-being-a-personal-narrative-of-events-1888-1914-volume-1-nul.shtml

have consequently telegraphed to Bell
    to say he must get Parnell's consent. I believe, if
    I chose to do it, I could get returned in some Irish
    division, even without Parnell's leave, but that I
    would not do.

" This morning Parnell and Justin M^^Carthy made
    each a statement of their interviews with Lord
    Carnarvon. I have no doubt Parnell's account is
    correct; and T. P. O'Connor tells me that the man
    at whose house it was originally proposed that
    Carnarvon and Parnell should meet was Howard
    Vincent. This Howard Vincent, I remember, asked
    me to meet the Prince of [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Wales[/COLOR][/COLOR] at his house four
    years ago, and is something of a professional go-
    between, having been Inspector-General of the
    Secret Police. He seems to have gone on a secret
    spying mission last autumn to Ireland, and poor Dr.
    Croke complained very bitterly of his having come
    to him with letters from Cardinal Manning, and of
    having been afterwards betrayed by Vincent. Vin-
    cent's wife wrote rather an absurd account of Dr.
    Croke in the ' Pall Mall,' and of his cat and dog,
    which offended him more. Vincent declared for

Dr. BligJi of Liverpool

Home Rule at the elections, and got returned by
    the Irish vote; yet, when I met him in the Lobby
    three months ago and asked him whether he was
    still a Home Ruler, he denied that he had ever had
    any connection with the idea.

"In the afternoon to Liverpool for an Irish
    meetine, havinor first lunched with Mrs. Howard,
    who is rejoiced that I have at length taken my
    name off the Carlton Club. I committed this happy
    despatch to-day.

''June 13. — I slept last night at the North-Western
    [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Hotel[/COLOR][/COLOR], but moved to-day to Dr. Bligh's house, where
    I occupy ' Mr. Parnell's room.' Dr. Bligh is a
    Catholic, the head of the National League in Liver-
    pool, and a capital fellow. In the morning we went
    to Mass, and afterwards down to the quays, and at
    three we had our meeting in the Hall in Nelson
    Street. The audience, chiefly Irish, received me
    very well, and listened throughout, though I spoke
    for nearly two hours. It was one of the best speeches
    I have made. In it I declared my severance from
    the Conservative party, and my intention to support
    Mr. Gladstone at the coming elections. Afterwards
    I was much urged to stand for some division of
    Liverpool or the county. I like these Liverpool
    Irish amazingly, and such of the Liberals as I have
    seen. Back by night train to London.

''June 14. — To the British Home Rule Associa-
    tion. Joseph Cowen takes a gloomy view of things,
    which I share. He thinks that Ireland is farther
    away from Home Rule than ever, that it will be at
    least ten years before she gets her wish, and that the
    present elections will go strongly against Gladstone

Blunt was a bit of a character and his personal life a bit soap operaish. This Wiki extract gives an idea

In 1869[3], he married Lady Anne Noel, who was the daughter of the Earl of Lovelace and granddaughter of Lord Byron. Together they travelled through Spain, Algeria, Egypt, the Syrian Desert, and extensively in the Middle East and India. Based upon pure-blooded Arabian horses they obtained in Egypt and the Nejd, they co-founded Crabbet Arabian Stud, and later purchased a property near Cairo, named Sheykh Obeyd which housed their horse breeding operation in Egypt.[4]
    In 1882 he championed the cause of Urabi Pasha, which led him to be banned from entering Egypt for four years.[5] Blunt generally opposed British imperialism as a matter of philosophy, and his support for Irish causes led to his imprisonment in 1888.
    Wilfrid and Lady Anne's only child to live to maturity was Judith Blunt-Lytton, 16th Baroness Wentworth, later known as Lady Wentworth. As an adult, she was married in Cairo but moved permanently to the Crabbet Park Estate in 1904.
    Wilfrid had a number of mistresses, among them a long term relationship with the courtesan Catherine "Skittles" Walters, and eventually moved another mistress, Dorothy Carleton, into his home, an event which triggered Lady Anne's legal separation from him in 1906. At that time, Lady Anne signed a Deed of Partition drawn up by Wilfrid. Under its terms, unfavourable to Lady Anne, she kept the Crabbet Park property (where their daughter Judith lived) and half the horses, while Blunt took Caxtons Farm, also known as Newbuildings, and the rest of the stock. Always struggling with financial concerns and chemical dependency issues, Wilfrid sold off numerous horses in order to pay debts, and constantly attempted to obtain additional assets. Lady Anne left the management of her properties to Judith, and spent many months of every year in Egypt at the Sheykh Obeyd estate, moving there permanently in 1915.[6]
    Due primarily to the manoeuvring of Wilfrid in an attempt to disinherit Judith and obtain the entire Crabbet property for himself, Judith and her mother were estranged at the time of Lady Anne's death in 1917, and thus Lady Anne's share of the Crabbet Stud passed to Judith's daughters, under the oversight of an independent trustee. Wilfrid filed a lawsuit soon afterward. Ownership of the Arabian horses went back and forth between the estates of father and daughter in the following years. Wilfrid sold yet more horses in his control, mostly to pay off debts, and shot at least four in an attempt to spite his daughter, action which required intervention of the trustee of the estate with a court injunction to prevent him from further "dissipating the assets" of the estate. The lawsuit was eventually settled in favour of the granddaughters in 1920, and Judith bought their share from the trustee, combining it with her own assets and reuniting the stud. Father and daughter briefly reconciled shortly before Wilfrid's death in 1922, but his promise to rewrite his will to restore Judith's inheritance never materialised.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfrid_Scawen_Blunt

I think according to Tim Pat Coogan's Micheal Collins, Healy was under secret investigation before Collins's death as having been a British spy in bringing about Parnell's down fall and the disastorous consequences for the Home Rule Party.

A bit off topic -I knew I saw an article somewhere on a spy - this article sheds some light on it.
    Keeping the lid on an Irish revolution: the Gosselin–Balfour correspondence

61_small_1246599209.jpgArthur Balfour, chief secretary for Ireland from 1887 to 1891, with whom Major Nicholas Gosselin corresponded. (Multitext Project)

The Gosselin–Balfour papers show that by December 1887 a member of the Irish Party was employed by British intelligence to report on its internal difficulties, many of which were financial. For example, in June 1888 Gosselin’s agent reported that Sir T. G. Esmonde, a Catholic member of the landed gentry and Irish Party MP, had just donated a huge sum of money to help keep the party afloat. Nevertheless, four of its recently elected MPs for Ulster still had to resign owing to financial difficulties, and almost half the party’s MPs were perpetual absentees from Westminster because they could not afford to live away from their homes in Ireland. Although a frequent absentee himself, Parnell criticised these men, stating that he ‘will have no more impecunious members’ who could not support themselves. Yet Gosselin’s informant reported that Parnell himself was experiencing financial difficulties.

You can read more here

http://www.historyireland.com/volumes/volume15/issue6/features/?id=114155

When Katie met Charles
    By a strange trick of faith Parnell had been speaking prior to the 1880 general election and won his seat but also elected at that election was a minor Clare landlord named captain William O’Shea. It so happened that his wife, Catherine had gone to hear Parnell speak on that day in Ennis. She was near the platform and more than once caught his eyes as he glanced in her direction. Apparently Charles had an eye for more than a beautiful landscape for he never forgot the woman he had seen near the platform in Ennis.

Catherine O’Shea was now 35 years old. She was a beautiful woman, with a mouth expressive of sweetness and tenderness with sultry eyes and a head of well kept glossy black hair. She had been married to the captain when she was 21 and they now had three children, a boy aged ten and two daughters aged seven and five. She visited the London Parliament some time later and met Parnell for the first time. Some time after she told a friend “When he came out I saw a tall man, looking gaunt and deadly pale. He looked straight at me smiling and his curiously burning eyes looked into mine wit a wondering intentness, that threw into my brain the sudden thought, this man is wonderful and different.” That summer Parnell and Catherine O’Shea met several times in the House and when he took her for drives in the country.

Meanwhile, back in Ireland, the power of the land league was increasing every day and the British government under Gladstone was determined to act. On Wednesday 3rd of November 1880 while Parnell was at lunch in Dublin a plain clothes police officer approached him and handed him an indictment for conspiracy nineteen counts. Thirteen other land league members also were indicted on much the same accounts. The trial camp up, the jury disagreed, and the charge came to nothing.

At this time Parnell had been deeply involved with Katie O’Shea but if her husband knew he said nothing about it. Yet Katie told a friend that he knew well what was going on and that he knew Parnell stayed with her during her husband’s absences

When did Willie find out of the affair especially as he believed the child Sophie who died in April 1882 was his ?

At this time Parnell had been deeply involved with Katie O’Shea but if her husband knew he said nothing about it. Yet Katie told a friend that he knew well what was going on and that he knew Parnell stayed with her during her husband’s absences. This may have been true but on 12th July 1881 O’Shea wrote to Parnell challenging him to a dual because what was happening. Apparently O’Shea had returned and found Parnell’s suitcase in the house. After a fierce row with his wife he had gone back to London and wrote the letter. It appears that O’Shea later accepted Parnell’s word that nothing was going on and there was no more about the dual. On 13th October 1881 Parnell was arrested and brought to Kilmainham jail. The Land League was finally suppressed some time later. Parnell was in the jail for six months and while he was there Katie gave birth to their first child, a baby girl, on 15th February 1882. A healthy baby at first the child began to sink later, and when Parnell, on parole due to the death of a nephew, visited Katie in Eltham in England he found the baby seriously ill. He and Katie were along with the child when the baby Sophie died. Captain O’Shea was not aware that he was not the father of the child and wrote on April 25th. “My child is to be buried at Christchurch this afternoon.” On the day of the funeral Parnell was back in prison but was released along with Davitt on 2nd May 1882. Katie got her divorce and married Parnell. He was in Eltham with Katie when he read of the murder of Burke and Cavendish in the Phoenix Park. Katie maintained that Parnell was never the same man after. The strength of the Land League followers was now greatly reduced and although Parnell travelled the country the ‘Parnell Split’ which followed the news of the Parnell-Katie O’Shea affair had taken its toll and there was no road back.

I mean if you buried a child you thought was yours and suddenly discovered they were not -you would be a tad upset.

http://archives.tcm.ie/carlownationalist/2006/05/31/story28210.asp

Willie is listed living in London in the 1901 Census but lists no occupation other than the Army.

http://www.1901censusonline.com/results.asp?wci=person_results&searchwci=person_search

I have seen a listing somewhere that he owned 800 plus acres somewhere in Co Clare in the 1870's

So I wonder how he lived.

For those interested in the origans of Parnells family this is a very interesting articleof a man who grew up in the ruling classes .

Miss Frances Power Cobbe, in her Life from which quotation has already been made, has the following passage:
    “Mrs. Evans, née Sophia Parnell… and a great-aunt of Charles Stewart Parnell… often spoke to me of the Avondale branch of her family, and more than once said: ‘There is mischief brewing! I am trouble at what is going on in Avondale. My nephew’s wife’ (the American lady, Delia Stewart) ‘has a hatred of England, and is educating my nephew, like a little Hannibal, to hate it too!’”URL="http://www.irishhistorylinks.net/Historical_Documents/Parnell_Family.html#27"]27[/URL
    The octogenarian Mrs. Parnell, when she tried to account to Mr. O’Brien her son’s singular antipathy to the race from which he had sprung, omitted to inform him that she had deliberately misshaped her son’s mind, and had reared him and his brothers and sisters in a rage which could not end otherwise than in the ruin of those whom it racked

Here is another interesting snippet
    he lady’s second son, Charles Steward Parnell, a young militia officer, who bluntly asserted that the patriots were tramps. His disgust with them was such that he used to lie in wait for them behind the hall door, and, directly it was open, make a rush for them and kick them down the steps.URL="http://www.irishhistorylinks.net/Historical_Documents/Parnell_Family.html#1"]1[/URL His dislike of the Fenians was as strong as his sister’s affection for them, and since his temper was quick and fierce and sometimes uncontrollable, he caused dismay among the patriots who thronged about his mother’s door. This house was so divided against itself that the Fenians had to be careful how they approached it in search of sustenance and charity.

http://www.irishhistorylinks.net/Historical_Documents/Parnell_Family.html

The whole article is worth a read and I am struck by the similarity between Oscar Wilde's mother and Parnell's.

Is it just me or can anyone else spot the similarities with Katie and Delia his own Mother.

Hangs out at the Viceregal Lodge yet is very outspoken and strong willed.

To quote Wilde
    All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.

• Advertisement

I want to revisit the divorce papers - which went uncontested but there are some nuggets in there

http://books.google.ie/books?id=c-syAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=captain+gerard+o%27shea&source=bl&ots=Xidzue5_d0&sig=YxLiGwa6daT9-H7Wm8aXZMIcXzk&hl=en&ei=QKEDTbqwGMqwhQeZ8ZXuBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAzg8#v=onepage&q=captain%20gerard%20o%27shea&f=false

Katie had accused Willie in a cross petition of having an affair with her own sister a Mrs Steele. She appeared as a witness and denied it. It is likely that she was one of the people who contested Aunt Ben's will and sued Katie.

All I can say here is wow - the gloves were off.

Willie & Katie's son had written a letter to his father in 1887 ? about Parnell's presence

Parnell denied the affair in writting to Willie on Commons notepaper in 1884.

So there is a lot of reason to believe that it wasn't until 1887 that Willie and Katie were estranged.

That affair was eventually to yield three daughters, all of whom were passed off as the offspring Captain O'Shea as she slept with both men.

So here are the facts
    However, Katherine did more than warm Parnell's bed for him. She used her family connections to get private audiences with Gladstone, the Liberal Prime Minister, and to carry messages from Parnell to him about Home Rule.

She attended debates at the Commons, watching her lover speak with "fire and passion" about his beloved Ireland. She also watched for a signal from him with his hanky, indicating that the coast was clear for a late night tryst, either in her home or at Parnell's accomodation.

Always paranoid about his privacy, Parnell never revealed where he stayed in London even to his closest political colleagues who had no idea that he was bedding Mrs O'Shea. The couple ran enormous risks to be together. Parnell was instantly recognisable and he took to arriving at Mrs O'Shea's in disguise and to calling himself "Mr Stewart., Knowing that she was pregnant with her first child by Parnell, Kitty cooly resumed her sex life with her husband in a bid to convince him that the child was his. She told Parnell what she was doing and he was full of admiration for "the unwanted attentions you have to put up with".

If having a child not fathered by her husband was a mistake, neither Kitty nor Parnell learned from it. Their first baby, a daughter called Claude, died within weeks of birth, and within a year Katherine was pregnant again.

It is clear from this fascinating book that Wille O'Shea must have been either stupid or indifferent, or else connived with his wife's adultery to further his own political career.

O'Shea was away a lot and an absentee husband suited Kitty just fine. She and Parnell were able virtually able to live together, even though Katherine's three older children by O'Shea were also in the house with them.

Astutely Katherine used ongoing financial support from an aunt and the possibility of a substantial inheritance as a way of getting Willie to turn a blind eye.

But on one occasion their cosy domestic arrangement very nearly came unstuck when Captain O'Shea turned up unexpectedly and almost caught his wife and her lover in the act. Parnell and Katherine had locked the doors and Parnell just had to time to get out no a fire escape. He re-appeared at the front door some minutes later to call on Captain and Mrs O'Shea

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/bookworm-235758.html

"In his final desperate appeal to his countrymen, he begged them not to throw him as a sop to the English wolves howling around them. It redounds to their honour that they did not fail this appeal. They did not throw him to the English wolves; they tore him to pieces themselves."

This is from end of Joyces essay on parnell. He explains how Parnell was treated in summary form with good reference to his entry into parliament after being cleared of charges made in relation to the Times forged letters. Text of it is here: http://books.google.ie/books?id=vdhWenAcwCUC&pg=PA191&lpg=PA191&dq=the+shade+of+parnell&source=bl&ots=sTSGje14ZH&sig=EUp66bRxGxQ89yJ4s7mBBLV-mcg&hl=en&ei=uZYETbLsJsq2hQeBkPTtBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=the%20shade%20of%20parnell&f=false

"In his final desperate appeal to his countrymen, he begged them not to throw him as a sop to the English wolves howling around them. It redounds to their honour that they did not fail this appeal. They did not throw him to the English wolves; they tore him to pieces themselves."

This is from end of Joyces essay on parnell. He explains how Parnell was treated in summary form with good reference to his entry into parliament after being cleared of charges made in relation to the Times forged letters. Text of it is here: http://books.google.ie/books?id=vdhWenAcwCUC&pg=PA191&lpg=PA191&dq=the+shade+of+parnell&source=bl&ots=sTSGje14ZH&sig=EUp66bRxGxQ89yJ4s7mBBLV-mcg&hl=en&ei=uZYETbLsJsq2hQeBkPTtBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=the%20shade%20of%20parnell&f=false

A nice read, but don't you think it sounds a bit like Mark Anthony in Shakespeares Julius Caesar. A huge ego killed the man.

Everyone knew that the Divorce case would ruin Parnell, perhaps except Charles and Katie. The accusation ,made against Willie and Mrs Steele was downright nasty.

The British did not treat him any differently than they would have treated one of their own.

His own party, well , they had a value system too as had the electorate -no different to that of England.

Timothy Healy refered to him as an "arrant liar" and trust is either 100% or zero, there is no I trust him a bit. He had promised to defend the case and did not .So, in their eyes ,he was not an honourable man.

From what I can see here, Willie O'Shea does not come out of this badly -while Katie and Charles do.

There is little info to go on to atack Willie, the Catholic Church or the British public cannot be be blamred.

John Parnell - Charley's older brother was of the opinion that what drove/inspired Charley was the American Civil War.

John Was a Peach Farmer and Fruit Dealer in the US for several years and here is an extract of an account of those years. This also gives a good account of the American connection & his grandfather the US Admiral Charles Stewart

The Parnell Peach Farm

An interesting venture in the current Valley, AL area was the John Howard
    Parnell cotton and peach farm. Parnell was from a very wealthy family in
    Avondale, Wicklow Co., Ireland, and came to the area in 1867, to purchase
    a "plantation." The 1870 and 1880 census of Chambers Co. (pg. 21/203) shows
    that he was born ca. 1845, and would have been about twenty-two years old at
    the time of his arrival. However, the book, Charles Stewart Parnell, A Memoir,
    that he wrote around 1905, shows his birth date as 1843.

His mother, Delia Tudor Stewart, an American, was the daughter of Admiral
    Charles Stewart, U.S. Navy, who had served in the Revolutionary War and the War
    of 1812, and from 1813-1815, was Captain of the USS Constitution, known as "Old
    Ironsides.” He was also referred to as the "American Nelson." John Parnell's
    uncle, Charles Stewart, who lived in America, had advised him that after the
    Civil War that great fortunes were to be made here, and advised him to come to
    America. Parnell had just inherited some money and his uncle told him that he
    had the chance to double it. He decided to come and purchased 1,482 acres of
    land from Col. George W. Huguley on July 11, 1867, for $12,000, after seeing it
    advertised for sale in the New York newspapers (Chambers Co. deed book 14, pg.
    768). As the story goes, he took a train from New York to West Point and met
    with Col. Huguley on the front porch of his home. After a few minutes of
    conversation and negotiation, he bought the land for cash in the form of gold
    coin. This land was located on the old Columbus-Berlin road, about eight miles
    south of West Point, near Glass, AL. According to his book, he originally
    purchased this land for growing cotton. Later, he started a peach-growing venture on part of the property

The full text is here

http://files.usgwarchives.net/al/chambers/history/parnell.txt

John also wrote a memoir on his brother on which a lot of biographers rely upon " Charles Stewart Parnell" and I have found the full text of it on-line . Here are the opening paragraphs and a link to the full text

The Avondale Tea-House.

I BEGIN the life of my brother, Charles Stewart
    Parnell — or, as I cannot help calling him, Charley
    — in a small cosy room in the old tea-cottage on
    the banks of the Avonmore, near the Meeting of
    the Waters on my brother's demesne at Avon-
    dale.

This cottage took the place of the historical tea-
    house, of which two rooms are left in a somewhat
    mined state. The old tea-house stood on the
    same spot two hundred years ago, and was then
    the rendezvous for all the Wicklow nobility and
    gentry, who came there to drink tea when on a
    visit to the Parnell and Hayes families. I re-
    member specially that Lord and Lady Wicklow
    used to drive round there to recall old memories
    on their way to visit my mother. My brother
    Charley always called in there on his daily walk
    down to the sawmills.

4 CHARLES STEWART PARNELL

While the original tea-house has practically dis-
    appeared, the old trees and shrubs all remain, as
    well as young trees planted since by my brother
    during his ownership. One feature is the im-
    mense old silver firs — the largest in Ireland.

As I write this [in 19051] on a fishing visit, they
    stand there, looking as if they kept lonely guard
    with their funereal plumes, sorrowing, as it were,
    for the departed tea-drinkers and the ancient
    associations of Avondale.

This cottage is built on the banks of the beauti-
    ful River Avonmore, about half a mile from
    Charley's old home of Avondale. The road from
    Avondale winds in and out along a charming
    wooded valley, with the demesne meadows be-
    tween the woods and the cottage, and is looking
    its best on this beautiful spring day.

The full text is here

http://www.archive.org/stream/charlesstewartpa00parn/charlesstewartpa00parn_djvu.txt

Here is the contents page

CONTENTS

FOREWORD
    Vii

^ BOOK I

\ EARLY DAYS

CHAPTER PAGE

I. HOME AND FAMILY

\ II. IN THE NURSERY - - - - - l8

• III. CHILDHOOD - - - - - 26

"^s IV. WARDS IN CHANCERY - - - - 38

"^ V. AT WISHAW'S - - - - - 47

^) VI. NEARING MANHOOD - - - - 54

^:i •

BOOK II

ij STEPS TO THE THRONE

\ I. THE FENIANS - - - - - 67

II. NEARLY MARRIED - - - - 73

III. CHARLEY IN AMERICA - - - - 82

IV. ADVENTURES IN THE COALFIELDS - - - 89
    V. THE RAILWAY ACCIDENT - - - - 96

VI. BACK TO EUROPE - - - - - IIO

VII. Charley's entrance into politics - - 119

VIII. FIRST BLOOD - - - - - 133

IX. IN parliament ..... 141

X. OBSTRUCTION - - - - - 1 49
    XI. A TRIUMPHAL TOUR - - - - . I56

XII. LEADER AT LAST - - - - - 1 65

V

vi CONTENTS

BOOK III
    IN POWER

CMAPTEB PACK

I. MY brother's personality - - - 171

II. THE RIGHT TO LIVE _ . _ - 183

III. IN PRISON

IV. THE PHCENIX PARK MURDERS - - - 1 99
    V. THE ARREARS ACT

VI. A SUCCESSFUL CAMPAIGN - - - - 2X1

VII. THE PIGOTT LETTERS - - - - 221

BOOK IV
    A LOSING FIGHT

I. THE DIVORCE AND AFTER - - - - 23I

II. THE GOD FROM THE MACHINE - - - 24 1

III. Charley's betrayal - _ _ . 246

IV. AFTER THE DEATH
    V. A VISION

APPENDICES

A. Charley's superstitions - - - - 263

B. Charley's influence in America - - 268
    c. avondale industries - - - - 277
    D. where the tribute went to - - - 286
    e. a friend's appreciation - - - - 290

F. THE manifesto OF 1890 - - - - 294

G. - - - - - - - 302

Back to the divorce, How much money was involved

This gives us a clue.
    Then, late in 1889, Willie filed for divorce. He had just discovered, he claimed, that Parnell was sleeping with his wife. The scandal did in Parnell politically, wrecked the power of the Irish National League and, what really matters, sabotaged hopes of Home Rule for Ireland. By discrediting the parliamentary route to national independence it encouraged the most violent Irish nationalists. Because the divorce stirred such high passions, Kee suggests, history has made more of a mystery than need be about when and why finally Willie blew their collective cover.
    Quite simply, there was a ton of money involved. Katie's Aunt Ben, most properly Victorian in her views, contributed the equivalent of 160 thousand modern pounds to the O'Sheas each year, including rent on Willie's London flat. She had, moreover, made Katie sole heir to a fortune equivalent of 7 million of today's pounds, tied up legally so that Willie, who was a spendthrift, could never touch it. Had she known the true situation, both the yearly income and the bequest would have been out of the question. Aunt Ben lived to age 96. By the time she died in 1889 Willie no longer needed Parnell's help. He realized that there was no longer need to keep up appearances. Besides, if he discredited Katie with a divorce he might help her other relatives to break the will, and get a good deal of money. So he did that.
    Katie and Parnell married the instant the divorce laws set them free. He died only months later of a heart attack. To his credit he had offered years before to give up his career entirely if she would only come away with him openly. Had she agreed - or ifhe had given her up - the history of Ireland from that day to this might have been very different. But it was already a great deal better because he had lived at all.

http://footenotes.net/Pages/Laurel.htm

As to the children - I cant find any reference to Gerard , son of Katie & Willie after the book & play.

Katie's daughters by Parnell Clare married a doctor but Katie
    Katharine O'Shea, b. NOV 1884, d. 1947 . She married Arthur Moule, East Lancashire Regiment posted to West Africa.
    Living in some poverty in the 1930s.
    Died in an asylum in 1947.

1937 had her selling her story for money
    BIOGRAPHY: Ireland's Misfortune: The Turbulent Life of Kitty O'SheaBy Elisabeth Kehoe Atlantic Books, 608pp. £19.99
    IN NOVEMBER 1937 the following headline appeared in the Sunday Dispatch: Boarding-House Keeper Says 'I was Parnell's Favourite Daughter'. Katie Moule, the youngest child of Katharine O'Shea and Charles Stewart Parnell, by then reduced to living in the attic bedroom of a house in Mornington Crescent in north London, sold her story, as she freely admitted, because "my money has gone". Her mother, the daughter of a vicar, the wife of Captain Willie O'Shea, the mistress of Charles Stewart Parnell, "that English whore", "the uncrowned queen of Ireland", had done
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2008/0503/1209717334134.html

Back to the divorce, How much money was involved

This gives us a clue.

The link is an interesting newspaper report that detailed some background to the case, the case & verdict, and the start of the contestion of the will. There are some more nuggets from the courtcase in this. The first paragraph calls William O'shea "a guileless innocent" and notes that his charachter has been cleared "at the cost of his intelligence". Also noteworthy is that this newspaper report is from a New Zealand paper from the time- Good news travels fast.
    http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=NOT18910115.2.20&l=mi&e=
    10--1----0--

Reference Aunt Ben & contested will
    Rumours of Katie’s affair with Parnell were rife (more in Ireland than England) but Katie had
    become a great friend and companion to Aunt Ben, who changed her will to make Katie the sole
    beneficiary. The rest of the family fought back claiming that Ben was insane and bribing doctors
    to have her so certified but Katie had PM Gladstone’s doctor certify that she was quite sane and
    her new will therefore valid. But Ben died in May 1889 and Willie filed for divorce; Katie tried to
    buy him off in order to protect Parnell from career-destroying scandal. Sadly probate had not yet
    been granted and she was unable to buy off the venal Willie. After Aunt Ben’s death Katie found
    Eltham intolerable and they moved first to Mottingham a mile away and then to Walsingham
    Terrace, Brighton.
    The probate action regarding Aunt Ben’s will remained unsettled and Katie’s personal well-being
    suffered from her consequent lack of money (having no income for two-and-a-half years). Also at
    stake was the custody of two of Katie’s daughters who were in Willie O’Shea’s control. The case
    was decided in March 1882 when the Wood family acquired one half of Ben’s estate and Katie the
    other half, minus the court costs. Most important to Katie was that she assumed custody of the
    two girls. Sadly much of the wealth was lost to a dishonest trustee and an unfortunate investment
    and, in desperate financial straits, she published her memoirs in 1914 but she was ‘in a period of
    delusion’ and her son Gerard edited and doctored them.

http://www.theelthamsociety.org.uk/articles/Kitty_OShea_talk.pdf

The link is an interesting newspaper report that detailed some background to the case, the case & verdict, and the start of the contestion of the will. There are some more nuggets from the courtcase in this. The first paragraph calls William O'shea "a guileless innocent" and notes that his charachter has been cleared "at the cost of his intelligence". Also noteworthy is that this newspaper report is from a New Zealand paper from the time- Good news travels fast.
    http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=NOT18910115.2.20&l=mi&e=
    10--1----0--

Your link

imageserver.pl?oid=NOT18910115.2.20&area=1&width=435&color=32&ext=gif&key=
    imageserver.pl?oid=NOT18910115.2.20&area=2&width=426&color=32&ext=gif&key=
    imageserver.pl?oid=NOT18910115.2.20&area=3&width=437&color=32&ext=gif&key=
    imageserver.pl?oid=NOT18910115.2.20&area=5&width=425&color=32&ext=gif&key=
    imageserver.pl?oid=NOT18910115.2.20&area=6&width=432&color=32&ext=gif&key=
    imageserver.pl?oid=NOT18910115.2.20&area=7&width=433&color=32&ext=gif&key=
    imageserver.pl?oid=NOT18910115.2.20&area=8&width=431&color=32&ext=gif&key=

• Advertisement

I have found a genealogical link for all Katies children giving dates of death and marriage details
    > > Children of KATHARINE WOOD and WILLIAM O'SHEA are:
    > > i. GERARD WILLIAM HENRY11 O'SHEA, b. 1870, Brighton,
    > > England; d. Aft. 1936, in ?; m. CHRISTABEL BARRETT-LENNARD, ?
    > > ii. MARY "NORAH" O'SHEA, b. January 1873, Chelsea, England; d.
    > > 1923, in ?.
    > > iii. ANNA MARIA DEL "CARMEN" O'SHEA, b. August 1874, Chelsea,
    > > England; d. 1921, in ?; m. (1) EDWARD LINGUARD LUCAS,
    > > Aft. 1914, in ?; m. (2) ARTHUR HERBERT BUCK, ?.
    > >
    > > Children of KATHARINE WOOD and CHARLES PARNELL are:
    > > iv. CLAUDE SOPHIE11 O'SHEA, b. 1882, Eltham, Kent, England;
    > > d. 1882, Eltham, Kent, England.
    > > 33. v. CLARE GABRIELLE ANTOINETTE MARCIA O'SHEA,
    > > b. March 04, 1883, Eltham, Kent, England; d. 1911, in ?.
    > > vi. FRANCES "KATIE" FLAVIA O'SHEA, b. November 27,
    > > 1884, Eltham, Kent, England; d. 1947, in ?; m. LOUIS D'OYLEY
    > > HORSFORD MOULE, July 1907, in ?.
    > >

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/WOOD-ENG/2000-10/0971388700

If you look closely here you will see that Gerard married a cousin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett-Lennard_Baronets
    Barrett-Lennard married Emma Wood, daughter of Reverend Sir John Wood, 2nd Baronet, on 18 January 1853. They had eight children:

# Anna Cristabel Barrett-Lennard (d. 1945), married Lieutenant Gerard Henry William O'Shea in 1895;

So it appears that the O'Sheas stayed close to their Wood cousins.

I read in John Parnells memoir that Katie did not get on with the Parnell family ,and had broken off contact with them all except John, and they met once after Charles death and contact with him fizzled out.

Anna Maria -married Sir Edward Lucas - a Baronet

So there would seem to be decendants knocking about and they got on in society.

There are a few things I would like to know the answers to.

When Parnell died what were the state of his finances as it is mentioned in Johns Memoir that he subsidised MP's out of his own pockets. That would put the " who is the master of the party" comment in a different light -as in i.e. I have bought you and paid for you.

The issue of MP's salaries did not become law until 1911 - so MP's who were not wealthy or were not appointed to a position of responsibility were owned. So getting a spy would have been a reasonable thing to do.

He was a very allof man. Did he have "friends" within the IPPP.

After his death, his brother John seems to have gotten Avondale - had he made any provision for his wife and childsren.

So did Charles make any provision for Katie and the children - and what was Katie's life like following his death.
    Parnell came from a wealthy Catholic family of eleven children

He was the eldest son and inherited the family estate in Avondale when his father died.
    The remainder of the lands and properties went to the other sons. Anna and Fanny, two of the Parnell sisters in the family received a very small allowance which was at the discretion of the brothers. They were disgusted at the injustice of this. Anna Parnell was a painter who had studied in Paris and England and Fanny Parnell was a poet.

The rift between Parnell & his sister Anna over the Ladies Land League was caused when Parnell refused to pay off a sizeable overdraft incured by ladies and which they had raised funds for and deposited with the Land League.

He would not pay over the money they raised unless they disolved the Ladies Land League.

3649711_f520.jpg

Anna Parnell was heart broken

The men once again took over the running of the Land League.
    They made it impossible for the women to continue to work alongside them. The money that the women had collected was now withheld from them. They continued on by getting an overdraft from the bank but when this reached £5,000 the bank demanded payment. They assumed the men would now hand over the money that they had raised.
    But Parnell refused to pay the bank unless the women agreed to dissolve the Ladies Land League. The women tried to continue with their work under very difficult conditions and held out for a few more months until September, but in the end they had to give in. Anna Parnell was heart broken.

Anna boycotted Charles for the rest of his life.

'
    Anna Parnell never spoke to her brother Charles Stuart Parnell again.

While all this was going on Anna Parnell had to deal with the sudden death of her sister Fanny, who died on 20th July of a heart attack. By this stage she was completely worn out and could not accept the betrayal of her own brother. Charles Stuart Panell had broken his sister's heart and she was never to forgive him. She never spoke to him again.
    If she met him by accident she would ignore him completely.
    On 6 October 1891, Charles Stuart Parnell died at Brighton. He was only forty-five years of age. Anna went to live in England and started painting again. She kept in touch with the political happenings in Ireland, but was never to live there again. Anna Parnell drowned while swimming in the sea in September 1911.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Charles-Stuart-Parnell

Delia , Charles & John's mother was not at the funeral but in the USA .

Did Charles have another daughter ?

Is it possible to check

showArticleImage?image=images%2Fpages%2Fdtc.97.tif.gif&doi=10.2307%2F30008261

http://www.jstor.org/pss/30008261

He does not seem to have made any real friends according to this source and I cant see any real references to friendships anywhere else
    It is no doubt true that Parnell looked even on the men of his own party rather as counters in the political game he had sat down to play than as friends and confidants. In response to a plea from Mrs. O'Shea that "after all they were human beings" he would answer characteristically, "In politics, as in war, there are no men, only weapons."[6] When his will was thwarted he would fling out of the party even a man who had been useful to him in former days, saying, "While I am leader they are my tools, or they go."[7] A man so autocratic made few personal friends and had, among his party, no confidants. He held himself aloof, and his very aloofness surrounded him with that attraction which an impenetrable mystery always provokes. But the world was not wrong in believing that there were fires smouldering beneath the impassive exterior, and that he was a man of strong feeling. Parnell was in truth a man of two passions, which absorbed, controlled, and dominated his life. For the attainment of both of these aims he was ready to employ all means, lawful and unlawful; to go through any suffering; and to sacrifice ruthlessly both himself and others.
    http://www.libraryireland.com/HullHistory/Parnell1.php

Now this is not a bad thing having singlemindedness in a leader and Richard Nixon had great powers and was highly intelligent

Gladstone rated him highly and if you look at his methods he put together a very cohesive political party -but he had a dangerous streak to him -and he exploited the Liberals need of him.

I never thought that Parnell was as ruthless & tough as he actually was. Don't forget he was able to straddle between the Fenians and Parlimentary politics -so why not be able to handle that in his personal life too.

Did he make adequete provision for his wife and kids

Yes he did.
    charles-stewart-parnell.png
    Charles Stewart Parnell left an estate of £11,774, 7s and 3d – the equivalent of €1.33 million today when he died at the age of 45 in 1891. His wife of six months, Katherine Parnell, better known as Kitty O’Shea, administered his estate.

Well compared to Bram
    bram-stoker.jpg
    Bram Stoker, who authored Dracula, left £5,269 (equivalent to €550,000 today) when he died at St George’s Square, London, in 1912.

So he did when you consider he had not worked for years and he had not hung on to the £40,000 raised for him.

The proposed settlement of £20,000 to Willie by Katie was also worth £ 2 1/2 million. Like what Scary Spice paid her ex husband.

http://www.paddybloggit.com/last-will-and-testament/

He also managed to put the IPPP on a better footing with support and financial from Cecil Rhodes
    Rhodes' only major impact on domestic politics within the United Kingdom was his support of the Irish nationalist party, led by Charles Stewart Parnell (1846-1891). He contributed a great deal of money to the Irish nationalists,[3] although Rhodes made his support for the Irish nationalists conditional upon an autonomous Ireland still being represented in the British Parliament.[4] Rhodes was such a strong supporter of Parnell that even after the Liberals and the Irish nationalists had disowned Parnell because of his adultery with the wife of another Irish nationalist, Rhodes continued to support him.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Cecil_Rhodes#Influence

So we have looked at Parnells personal life but at this time you had him trying to hold the Irish Party together and fight elections.

To get up with the politics side this post puts it in context.

His own estimate was that it would take him 5 years to recover to his pre-divorce power.

There is a very good e-book here and if you flick thru a few chapters you get a real feel for what was going on and the personalities involved

http://books.google.ie/books?id=VPKEBJQwVHcC&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=gladstone%27s+opinion+on+parnell&source=bl&ots=EJ0kU7gB-w&sig=NdY9rIH7vscSRZXOPlFy_aD_hnk&hl=en&ei=idIGTfrECcKKhQe-r9XuBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CB0Q6AEwATge#v=onepage&q=gladstone%27s%20opinion%20on%20parnell&f=false

Its the Parnell Split by Frank Calanan and if you dip into from around page 25 on for 5 or 10 pages its very good, almost Churchilian - "I will fight"

In terms of the politics, he was partially a victim of his own success. Having put home rule on the agenda and convincing Gladstone to take it as a valid policy, he then became less relevent to the issue than he had previously been. He didnt seem to understand this when he refused to step down, even temporarily as had been suggested (ala Peter Robinson in NI) http://www.historyhome.co.uk/people/parnell2.htm .

• Advertisement

IHe didnt seem to understand this when he refused to step down, even temporarily as had been suggested (ala Peter Robinson in NI) .

I think he was right as it happened and pre-Parnell the Irish Party made little headway. Knowing more about him makes me appreciate him a lot more.

He felt he couldn't go back .

However, we are very in the dark about how Willie lived post-divorce and did he recieve a settlement.

Advertisement