Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

January 1982

• 21-04-2006 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some pics and info regarding the snow of january 1982. Have googled it but too no avail. I'd really like to see some pics of this. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

baraca wrote:
    Just looking for some pics and info regarding the snow of january 1982. Have googled it but too no avail. I'd really like to see some pics of this. Thanks in advance.

As far as I can recall, the snow lasted about three weeks. I was living in Donegal at the time and I recall the postman, milkman, council workers etc. using snow chains to get around. We spent all day on sleighs or going downhill on plastic fertiliser bags. Schools were closed. It was great. :D

Your local library may have the daily/provincial papers on microfilm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

the east was the worse affected area,includind the dublin area was hit most by over 2.5ft on lying areas in some parts to over 5ft in drifts,i do have some pics in my mothers i should search for and if i get them i will post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Snowbie wrote:
    the east was the worse affected area,includind the dublin area was hit most by over 2.5ft on lying areas in some parts to over 5ft in drifts,i do have some pics in my mothers i should search for and if i get them i will post

Thanks mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Probably doesnt look too spectacular but here's one from Roscrea

5.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just thought i'd bump this thread!

Tomorrow will be the 25th year anniversary of the that great event we all wish we had lived through!

Well some of you did i suppose?
    Anyone have any nice stories to share about the event?

For me it seems like it was a February 27th 2001 evebt multiplied by 20

I have compiled a short little article on it in my weather blog If anyones interested...

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I remember it well. I was 11 1/2 and it was great time. We ended up scutting (very dangerous thing to do!!) down Balbutcher Lane on the back of the old 36B routemaster bus sliding on the road.

We were up to our chests in snow in the of the fields and ditches around the 7 pitches. We were off school for weeks and there was no bread and milk for a while. Overall, an unforgettable memory :)

Well 2001 imo was a good snow event but 1991 was better and 1987 was better than that and 1982 was again better still.Seems like the intensity is diminishing as time goes on.All bar the 2001 event where from easterly directions.

The shopping centre wall across from my mothers is about 4ft in height,the snow came and drifted against this wall,froze and you could walk straight up and over the wall not knowing it was there.
    The good thing to note about 1982 snow was that it snowed heavy 3 times over a 10 day(excluding the snow showers drifting in from the sea) spell accumulating to the already froze and compacted snow.
    It wasnt your avg snow that you get,like one snow dump and thats it.
    This is my comparison between later snowfalls to this and there aint a comparison in sight making 1982 very unique indeed in this country espeicially the east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I was in my mammy's belly during this, all snug and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

LundiMardi wrote:
    I was in my mammy's belly during this, all snug and warm.

:D some had it easy eh! But in saying that I was still well over a year away.

I seen February 2001 mentioned a few times there, maybe my brain is gone mushy, but I cant remember any big snow event back then, anyone have any further details of it? Or maybe its the usual case that Carlow town gets little or no snow :mad: . I think I remember some VERY harsh frosts and freezing fog at that time, lasted for about a week, that was during the foot and mouth, right?....but snow:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I was born on Jan 10 of '82 (aka the big schnow) and had to be delivered at home (middle o' nowhere, contae na mí). Quite sure there was probably an article about it in the local paper, must do some snooping. :)

• Advertisement

:D some had it easy eh! But in saying that I was still well over a year away.

I seen February 2001 mentioned a few times there, maybe my brain is gone mushy, but I cant remember any big snow event back then, anyone have any further details of it? Or maybe its the usual case that Carlow town gets little or no snow :mad: . I think I remember some VERY harsh frosts and freezing fog at that time, lasted for about a week, that was during the foot and mouth, right?....but snow:confused:

I think but im not certain that it really only affected Northern Leinster and my locations seems from talking to other people to have been worst affected. It was the worst snow i've ever experienced. Drifts of 2 feet against the walls but it could of been much more if it wasnt wet snow rather than the dry stuff. I had no electricity for 48 hours and then after it there was a week of cold and ice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

I think this event was 28th Feb/1st Mar '01. I have a photo of me in a 5ft snowdrift - must scan it in. About a mile from me there were 2 lads stuck in a car overnight in a snowdrift. This event was very localised. 6 miles from me in Greystones, there was no snow (just rain). Also I remember the thermometer being down to -6 as it got frosty a few days after the snow. I also have a pic
    of me standing on the ice on the reservoir - (kids - dont do that at home!!).

As far as '82 is concerned, I was in school and remember getting about 2 weeks off - funny when it snows, the heating system magically fails! The thing we learned is that the best toboggan is a car bonnet!! Just dont get in the way! I was in Greystones at the time. Amazing to think of that amount of snow there. In Roundwood they had snow for 6 weeks apparently.

A

I think but im not certain that it really only affected Northern Leinster

Sighhh :rolleyes:
    It was the worst snow i've ever experienced. Drifts of 2 feet against the walls

Sighhhhhh :(
    artictree wrote:
    This event was very localised.

Sighhhhhhhhhhhh:mad: How come I missed out on all the fun, not fair! ;)

OK - Guys - prepare to be dazzled!!

This is a pic of me on March 1st 2001 about a mile from my house.

Sure is a different world up here!

Pic is a bit grainy as I took a photo of the photo with my digital camera.

A

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I dont remember any snow from 2001 either.. the last decent snow I remember is 1991. Since then we've only had slushy muck where I live, never amounting to more than 2 inchs.

I was 7 during the 1982 storm and I can remember it snowing for what seemed like days. I remember having at least 3 weeks off school and having no milk or bread for 2 weeks.. eventually all the neighbours got together to hire a jcb to clear our road for over a mile so that we cud get down to the shops again.

I remember walkin on hard pact snow but underneath me was cars, the drifts at the road behind our house often reached 10 feet or more. It was quite an experience.

I remember 1987 more tho, wasnt nearly as bad as 1982 but we still had around 10 inchs of snow altho im not sure there were any drifts, I remember most of it came from prolonged snow showers blown in off the Irish sea. Myself and my neighbour built a snow mountain, took us 2 days to do it, it was eventually 7 or 8 feet high and took a month to fully melt after the main lying snow was melted.

arctictree wrote:
    OK - Guys - prepare to be dazzled!!

This is a pic of me on March 1st 2001 about a mile from my house.

Sure is a different world up here!

Pic is a bit grainy as I took a photo of the photo with my digital camera.

A

Thats some landscape artictree, the red sky and all.....nice!

Thats some landscape artictree, the red sky and all.....nice!

Hmmm.....never really analysed the pic before.

The photo is facing southwest (you can see turlough hill in the background).
    The snow has drifted on the road on the right hand side. This means that it must have been a northwesterly wind. This concurs with Snowbies comments below that this event was not an easterly.

Snowbie - do you remember the exact date - was your event Feb 28th/Mar 1st?

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Couple previous threads
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=213492

&

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054868078

1982 was awesome. Some lowland roads were closed for couple weeks. 12ft of snow doesn't thaw quickly.

arctictree wrote:

A

See links in my previous message.
    Feb 27th
    75cm level snow measured in Mournes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Waterford was under the white stuff for about a week - not that it mattered from a schooling point of view :( It was just very cold! Sniff.

I do recall the town gas bill for that two month period though - 400 pounds!:eek:

Mike.

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote:
    See links in my previous message.
    Feb 27th
    75cm level snow measured in Mournes.

Ha - Mothman, Longfield - read your posts on the other threads - that was definitely an event to remember!! I'll have to dig out my other pics!

We were stuck for the whole afternoon/evening in the Roundwood Inn!

Here's hoping for another one this year!

A

arctictree wrote:

We were stuck for the whole afternoon/evening in the Roundwood Inn!

A

Can't imagine , you were trying hard to unstick yourselves....:D

artictree wrote:
    I always thought it was March 1st,but anyway it was a Polar low from the North that done the damageDonegal got a right hammering up there and followed suit down here the following day.

I remember getting up at 7.00am and visiting the jacks and not a thing outside just cold,so back to the leaba and back up at 8.30am and a full blown blizzard had kicked off.Its always nice to see the first flake falling and accumulating thereafter.I had my little oregon weather staton measuring -0.5c outside and had reached only 0.2c max for that day and 5" fell. 1.5 foot drift against walls.
    I actually video taped on my camcorder the "Eagle" giving the weather warning the night before about the PL sweeping SE down through the Northern part of the country.Twas a good event and the last one i have seen to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I can remember the Great Snow of '82 well myself. Skerries was blocked off for nearly a week. Snowy slopes & fertiliser bags ftw!
    Ruu wrote:
    I was born on Jan 10 of '82 (aka the big schnow) and had to be delivered at home (middle o' nowhere, contae na mí). Quite sure there was probably an article about it in the local paper, must do some snooping. :)
    Thoughts of that are scaring the living daylights out of me. Mrs Billy is due in early Feb & the idea of being snow bound & having a home birth doesn't exactly appeal to me. I can just picture it: "C'mon love - contractions are lasting 45 seconds & are 10 minutes apart. Time to get on the 10-10-20 bag & head to Holles Street." :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I remember it well.
    After my dad cleared the driveway of snow I couldn't toboggan down it any more so I had the bright idea to pour water all over it, which worked fantastic. Needless to say the aul lad wan't impressed and sent me out with a tub of salt and told me to clear it..in the end it snowed again and salt wasnt melting the ice anyhow :), would absolutely love to see another spell like that again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

I have 8mm movie footage of Crumlin south Dublin and surrounding areas. Let me digitize this weekend and I'll youtube some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

Here's a Picture from the Northside of Dublin back in 82. This was taken on the first day of snow and as far as I can remember it got worse(better to an 11 Year old) as Days went on.

Hill Billy wrote:
    Thoughts of that are scaring the living daylights out of me. Mrs Billy is due in early Feb & the idea of being snow bound & having a home birth doesn't exactly appeal to me. I can just picture it: "C'mon love - contractions are lasting 45 seconds & are 10 minutes apart. Time to get on the 10-10-20 bag & head to Holles Street." :eek:

Hill Billy in the case that you are snow in just get towels and plenty of hot water.........what use they are, I dont know, but it works in the movies! :D

dathi1 wrote:
    I have 8mm movie footage of Crumlin south Dublin and surrounding areas. Let me digitize this weekend and I'll youtube some of it.

That'd be excellent, I'd love to see that. Let us youngin's see what a proper snowfall was like ;)

Dubsmax wrote:
    Here's a Picture from the Northside of Dublin back in 82. This was taken on the first day of snow and as far as I can remember it got worse(better to an 11 Year old) as Days went on.

Great picture,

I didn't live through it myself but my dad tells me about his 8 mile walk from the city centre that day:eek: :D in the Blizzards!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dubsmax wrote:

It got alot worse than that in the end.. whats shown there is only a dusting compared to what happened in the end (at least were i iwas) shame my parents never took any pictures at the time.

Advertisement