Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Stats & Overview

• 29-12-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭

As the year is just about to close (well, one more day left but unlikely anything of interest will happen during it) I thought I would be nice to open this thread for people who would like to share their thoughts and/or their stats on the weather of 2014.

2014 bad points for me include consistently missing out of the series of storms that affected many other parts during the early part of the year. Too much mediocre (rather than full on hot) weather during the summer, and a very banal Autumn & early Winter.

Good points include a good frequency of high standard thunderstorms during the Spring & Summer and a weirdly long dry spell during September. :)

Some local stats (Tuam, Northeast Co. Galway. 53.52 N / -8.85 W)

Max temp: 25.9c (July 25th)
    Min Temp: -3.3c (Dec 29th)

Rain Total: 1192.9 mm (near average)
    Wettest Month: February (185.4 mm)
    Driest Month: September (8.1 mm)

Highest 10 minuite mean wind speed: 35 knots (February 12th)
    Highest gust: 60 knots (February 12th)

New Moon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

2014 overall came in like an angry lion and went out like a lamb. The period from 18th December to 14th February saw Ireland's worst wind in decades with the worst event on 12th February. As well as this, extreme flooding also featured.

By the later part of February, things had settled down and normal weather for 15th February and into March, April and May ensued. An exceptionally hot summer followed and thus far the winter has been benign. Some wet and cold spells but no major disruptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Highest wind ever recorded by my PWS - 105 km/h - 8th Jan 2014, 9:46 am.

Full stats will be posted after midnight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

As promised.

Summary for 2014

Temperature (°C):
    Mean (1 minute) 9,6
    Mean (min+max) 10,3
    Mean Minimum 6,0
    Mean Maximum 14,7
    Minimum -6,1 day 02.01
    Maximum 29,5 day 25.07
    Highest Minimum 17,2 day 22.07
    Lowest Maximum 2,9 day 14.02
    Air frosts 18

Rainfall (mm):
    Total for year 1213,5 (not true, I'd say)
    Wettest day 47,5 day 14.02 (same here, but maybe I'm wrong)
    High rain rate 910,8 day 03.03
    Rain days 319 (welcome to Ireland! :D )
    Dry days 46

Wind (km/h):
    Highest Gust 105,0 day 08.01
    Average Speed 15,3
    Wind Run 133639,7 km
    Gale days 2

Pressure (hPa):
    Maximum 1022,1 day 23.12
    Minimum 925,5 day 08.02

Days with snow falling 16
    Days with snow lying at 0900 11

www.joujoujou.com/weather

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Well these are the stats from my weather station for the year,It is situated at 255m asl on a plateau half way up Carrane Hill in S.E.Sligo. Nothing remarkable unless missing the worst of the storms early in the year is remarkable. A pretty good year in all let down by a grotty august.

Max temp:28.6 (July 25th)
    Min Temp:-1.8C. (Dec 28th)

Rain Total: 1246.8 mm
    Wettest Month: January (177.9 mm)
    Driest Month: September (12.0 mm)
    Total no. of dry days 75
    Highest gust: 53.2 mph (January 3rd)

Days with snow falling 5
    days with snow lying 8

• Registered Users Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Here's my stats for 2014 year, didn't record snow days which were probably about 2 or 3 IIRC with no days of lying snow.
    Noticeably large amount of rain days, a wet year.

333328.png

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
Advertisement