Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What defines a tenant and rights of the owner

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

davindub wrote: »
    You are refering to a different case (HC) I believe. I have given you two examples, one case where I was present in court, one from the media. Your claim that there is no decided case is therefore incorrect.

Yes, reading lawbooks was pretty much recommended when I studied law but that was a long time ago.....but I suspect you meant that remark to be demeaning.

Anyway, just so you are aware:

"Handled by an airBnB handover agent I used" (OP's words)
    = actual authority

"I asked the leasee to deal with the agent"
    = Ostensible, which is actually an argument the leasee would make if actual authority did not exist.

What HC case are you referring to? Does authority for AIRbnb extend to giving a legal interest to anyone in the premises. How can the agent give what he does't have?
    when does he say he asked the lessee to deal with the agent? had he given the "agent" authority to enter a 90 day lease? He says it happened unknown to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

What HC case are you referring to? Does authority for AIRbnb extend to giving a legal interest to anyone in the premises. How can the agent give what he does't have?
    when does he say he asked the lessee to deal with the agent? had he given the "agent" authority to enter a 90 day lease? He says it happened unknown to him.

Sorry that second quote may have been confusing - The quote was to show what would be relevant to ostensible authority. The absence of such an argument means that ostensible authority is not relevant.

You stated specifically that ostensible authority was the issue in this case.

The OP did not state the agent exceeded their authority, you stated the agent may not have had authority as an unlicensed person.

Look I'll leave it at that, if you recap your posts you can see what you have posted and what the OP posted.

Sorry that second quote may have been confusing - The quote was to show what would be relevant to ostensible authority. The absence of such an argument means that ostensible authority is not relevant.

You stated specifically that ostensible authority was the issue in this case.

The OP did not state the agent exceeded their authority, you stated the agent may not have had authority as an unlicensed person.

Look I'll leave it at that, if you recap your posts you can see what you have posted and what the OP posted.

I am discussing what you have posted. You purported to quote the o/p and now can't show where the o/p said anything. You haven't said what case you are referring to. If you were there you would know the name of it.
    Where did the o/p say the agent had not exceeded their authority?
    If you cannot quote the o/p accurately what are the chances you are referring to these court cases accurately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

I am discussing what you have posted. You purported to quote the o/p and now can't show where the o/p said anything. You haven't said what case you are referring to. If you were there you would know the name of it.
    Where did the o/p say the agent had not exceeded their authority?
    If you cannot quote the o/p accurately what are the chances you are referring to these court cases accurately?

Lol, the OP has not said a lot of things. We might be here all day satisfying your need to discuss possible outcomes based on different scenarios.

There is so much wrong with your posts, I have just lost the will to discuss them with you. If you need clarification on why the following examples are nonsense ask in the legal forum.

Examples:

Is the agent licensed? If not they may have exceeded their authority as agent.

Courts will not look into the planning permission of the property.

There are no decided cases where the planning permission was relevant.

How can the agent transfer legal rights to the property he does not possess?

Ostensible Authority VS actual Authority - one is a claim for the leasee, the other is a claim for the principle.

Lol, the OP has not said a lot of things. We might be here all day satisfying your need to discuss possible outcomes based on different scenarios.

There is so much wrong with your posts, I have just lost the will to discuss them with you. If you need clarification on why the following examples are nonsense ask in the legal forum.

Examples:

Is the agent licensed? If not they may have exceeded their authority as agent.

Courts will not look into the planning permission of the property.

There are no decided cases where the planning permission was relevant.

How can the agent transfer legal rights to the property he does not possess?

Ostensible Authority VS actual Authority - one is a claim for the leasee, the other is a claim for the principle.

Still not answering any questions. What is this court case you keep talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Op how many days have they been there now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Priority seat

The agent was my agent in an airbnb capacity. When this longer term situation came up it was put to me that it would be run on a rolling 30 day basis ( for a total of 90). No rent or lease agreement was mentioned nor was a deposit. All of this was consistent with an airbnb let which is what I took this to be. As far as i’m aware no airbnb let can commence until payment has been taken in advance. Of course this didn’t happen in my case and it turns out the let was not run through the airbnb platform.
    All of this i discovered down the line. The agent was never authorised by me to engage in a long term ( more formal) let. So this wasn’t an airbnb and it wasn’t a formal let so thats my predicament. As for going for the agent in terms of forcing him to legally evict them my solicitor is examining that angle but it has downsides as well.

ted1 wrote: »

ted1 wrote: »

100 days , original ‘agreement’ was 90.
    No sign of any payment , no personal details other than 1 name of one occupant. They are not replying to my solicitors emails.
    But they are there we have confirmed that.
    Will probably be suing the agent.

Also the `tenant` is refusing to supply any personal details like her home address or the name of the partner she is occupying with.
    She is refusing to supply HAP papers so I the 'landlord' can at least get some income. She keeps saying she will produce them but 4 months in and no sign despite repeated requests from my solicitor.
    What gets me is that as a landlord I apparently cannot refuse a HAP case if my tenant falls on bad times yet there is no obligation on them to enact a HAP application to ensure the rent gets paid.
    or do i have this wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭dennyk

What gets me is that as a landlord I apparently cannot refuse a HAP case if my tenant falls on bad times yet there is no obligation on them to enact a HAP application to ensure the rent gets paid.
    or do i have this wrong?

HAP or no, you can give them notice (once the eviction ban expires) if they are in arrears and don't correct it within 14 days of you giving them notice of said arrears. Being in receipt of HAP doesn't absolve them of the responsibility to ensure that the rent is paid as agreed. It'd usually be best to try to work with a tenant who is just starting on HAP rather than instantly serving notice if there are some minor delays at the beginning of the process, but your tenant here is clearly taking the piss. Just make sure you follow the correct procedure to the letter. Unfortunately it will likely end up being a long fight to actually get them out, though, and you probably won't ever see a penny of that rent owed in the end.

I am surprised you haven't been to a solicitor already. Expecting cooperation from an occupant like that is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LJ12345

Contact threshold to get their viewpoint on this. Prtb will likely just say they’re a tenant, it’s their easy way out of giving a landlord advise on this and maybe threshold will too but I’d be inclined towards contacting threshold to get slightly more balanced guidance. If there’s any chance they’re not a tenant you need to know ASAP.

It is long past time for going to Threshold or such like. A solicitor should e retained. Threshold only advise tenants anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Have been following this thread as I believe I have had some lucky escapes and am now refusing to let my property during covid. Important to note that eviction is allowed without cause for tenancies up to 6 months. So the op needs to serve notice of eviction giving the correct notice period, asap... under no circumstances let the tenants create a part 4 tenancy. I realise you cant actually evict anyone at the moment, and that allegedly a part 4 tenancy cant be created while the eviction ban is ongoing, but I dont trust the legislation not to have some anti-landlord Twist that would impact the op if he doesnt serve notice to leave. Also, the agent, if he let to this girl via airbnb before, will be able to go back and look up some information on her from previous bookings, including a profile photo, full name, email address and phone number, and maybe her town or city of residence. A good place to start with that info (If the agent will give it to you) is facebook.... a name is not unique, but if you know what she looks like you can match her up with the right mary bloggs on Facebook.... and see who she hangs with. I have used FB in the past to check bonafides of tenants, and you would be surprised how often it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Also the `tenant` is refusing to supply any personal details like her home address or the name of the partner she is occupying with.
    She is refusing to supply HAP papers so I the 'landlord' can at least get some income. She keeps saying she will produce them but 4 months in and no sign despite repeated requests from my solicitor.
    or do i have this wrong?

This has got to be a joke?

They knew exactly what they were doing, got into the property without lease or deposit and never paid a cent from day one. You will never see any money from them. These are the professionals and this the MO.

Start the eviction process now. You have wasted 4 months, so that's another 4 months on you. Its not on the agent, its on you. The eviction ban means you can't evict them right now. It doesn't mean you can't get the order to process later.

This has got to be a joke?

They knew exactly what they were doing, got into the property without lease or deposit and never paid a cent from day one. You will never see any money from them. These are the professionals and this the MO.

Start the eviction process now. You have wasted 4 months, so that's another 4 months on you. Its not on the agent, its on you. The eviction ban means you can't evict them right now. It doesn't mean you can't get the order to process later.

+1 could well be a backlog in evictions to process, you need to be as close to the front of that queue as possible. I can’t believe this can happen. I’m really curious if they’ve been confirmed as tenants without any payment or lease, there’s no record of them having any rights to live there.

As an add on I’d still call threshold. Pretend you’re the people holding your property in this situation and find out what the advice is. They may straight out say it’s not a tenancy and you'd atleast know where you stand.

LJ12345 wrote: »
    +1 could well be a backlog in evictions to process, you need to be as close to the front of that queue as possible. I can’t believe this can happen. I’m really curious if they’ve been confirmed as tenants without any payment or lease, there’s no record of them having any rights to live there.

As an add on I’d still call threshold. Pretend you’re the people holding your property in this situation and find out what the advice is. They may straight out say it’s not a tenancy and you'd atleast know where you stand.

Recently short term lets like AirBnB (last few years)are a haven for certain practises. They go into the property, stay past the date and claim they are tenants. Gaurds won't evict them, saying its a Civil Matter. So the only real option is to either log a RTB case and evict, or log a court case and convince the judge the RTB is not required. Once the eviction date rolls near, onto the next place.

Recently short term lets like AirBnB (last few years)are a haven for certain practises. They go into the property, stay past the date and claim they are tenants. Gaurds won't evict them, saying its a Civil Matter. So the only real option is to either log a RTB case and evict, or log a court case and convince the judge the RTB is not required. Once the eviction date rolls near, onto the next place.

I’m finding this hard to believe. Where did you hear it? Airbnb have the payment information for these holiday homes and those payment details are associated with a separate ‘home’ address. I understand if a dispute arises after the Airbnb term and can be proved by the owner the renter can be charged by Airbnb. If they decide to stay on and they’re not invited to stay there, they’re trespassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sanfranbest

I have been operating an AirBnB apartment in Dublin for the past few years and I have never heard that???
    Also I am always hesitant with renters that have a local address, its a red flag, why would a person from Dublin want to rent an Airbnb in Dublin?
    99% of my guests are from outside Ireland, mostly from the USA.
    Regarding the pandemic, all my bookings from 13th March to end of August were cancelled and I refunded all payments 100%.
    So maybe new bookings may come from Irish people staying in Ireland, changed times for sure,,,,,,,,,,,

• Advertisement

LJ12345 wrote: »
    I’m finding this hard to believe. Where did you hear it? Airbnb have the payment information for these holiday homes and those payment details are associated with a separate ‘home’ address. I understand if a dispute arises after the Airbnb term and can be proved by the owner the renter can be charged by Airbnb. If they decide to stay on and they’re not invited to stay there, they’re trespassing.

At some point its hard to tell the difference between a tenant or a licensee. As far as the RTA is concerned, 90 days to a single person who had exclusive use of the property is not a holiday let. Its a tenancy.

Ignoring that, once they are in, have keys and have moved their stuff in, you can't rock up and turf it all onto the street. In most cases they are prepared to get physical and in the end, you went up and assaulted them. You have to go through the process, which takes months to years. Our police force will not lift a finger, its for the courts to decide.

This isn't even a Irish problem and why would Airbnb advertise it. They can try to charge the person, who can just cancel their card or ignore the bills. In reality, once the tenant overholds its your problem from that point onwards.

Since eviction has to go to the RTB first, then onto the courts and most airbnb landlords are effectively absentee from what I can see, its the perfect system for abuse and the usual crowd in Ireland picked up on it.

Ignoring that, once they are in, have keys and have moved their stuff in, you can't rock up and turf it all onto the street. In most cases they are prepared to get physical and in the end, you went up and assaulted them. You have to go through the process, which takes months to years. Our police force will not lift a finger, its for the courts to decide.

If someone overstays on Airbnb the owner can remove them in the same ways as a hotel guest can. Irish law requires a tenancy to be founded on contract between the parties. Clearly in an air B&B agreement, the contract is for a licence to reside on a daily rate at the particular property.

Irish law requires a tenancy to be founded on contract between the parties

Irish law requires exclusive use of the property and the RTA was amended in 2018 for short term lets. The Gaurd will remove somebody from a hotel room or BNB because they are clear in what they do and where they stand, they will not go to a "AirBnb" that somebody has been living in for months and remove them and their belongings without a court order. Its a civil dispute.

And again, I'm not saying you can't evict them. I'm saying that the second those waters get muddied, its hands off by everybody until you prove otherwise in a court.

Of course if you have the correct planning permission, have a license, rent on short term contracts to people on holiday in Ireland, have cleaners in regularly while they are staying there and have a door security system that lets you cut access, the guards might actually do something or ignore the requests to re-enter the property.

Irish law requires exclusive use of the property and the RTA was amended in 2018 for short term lets. The Gaurd will remove somebody from a hotel room or BNB because they are clear in what they do and where they stand, they will not go to a "AirBnb" that somebody has been living in for months and remove them and their belongings without a court order. Its a civil dispute.

The residential tenancies acts were not amended in 2018.

The residential tenancies acts were not amended in 2018.

My apoligies, the residential tenancies act was amended in 2019 to address the AirBnB situation.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2019/act/14/section/38/enacted/en/html

"‘short term letting’ means the letting of a house or part of a house for any period not exceeding 14 days, and includes a licence that permits the licensee to enter and reside in the house or part thereof for any such period in consideration of the making by any person (whether or not the licensee) of a payment or payments to the licensor.”."

Once you go past 2 weeks and have exclusive use of the property what exactly says you are not a tenant.

Once you go past 2 weeks and have exclusive use of the property what exactly says you are not a tenant.

Deasy's Act.
    Everything turns on how you entered the property If you went in as a tenant, you stay as a tenant. If you go in in some other capacity, staying on past the term can't make you a tenant.

THREAD UPDATE
    After never transferring the electricity into their name eventually the moratorium on disconnections expired ( due to the lockdown relaxing).
    After they were legally warned about disconnection and also advised same by the utility company they were finally cut off. They lasted about 1 hour without power and scurried off the sinking ship like the rats they are. Lock changed the same evening.
    We were left with damage and a mess but all easily rectified ,whereas the alternative was becoming too difficult to entertain ( they transfer the utility and claim unemployment and cant be touched until January 21 earliest)
    So we will be claiming damages and costs off the ‘agent’ for breaking just about every rule in the book and landing us in this mess.
    Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, hopefully it will prove informative for others who may face a similar situation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Good to hear you have a relatively prompt resolution- had the 'tenants' decided to play the system it could have been far more protracted. The fact that they didn't even try to transfer utilities into their own names- speaks volumes.

As this is now closed- I'm closing this thread.

OP- if there are any further updates you'd like to advise- either update your post immediately preceding this post- or pop me a PM and I'll unlock the thread for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement