Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic number plates ?

• 24-01-2005 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Where do you guys get your classic number plates made up ?

Anybody come across a place that does the red rear plates ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

This UK supplier does a large range of authentic (large font) classic plates -
    (He may also be soon supplying red rear plates for 70's/80's Irish classics ! :) )

Framptons
    www.buy-a-plate.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

I'm gonna need the silver on black classic plates soon and would rather not have to mail order from UK .....anyone know where I can get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

Several places do the chrome letters on black plates, but try to avoid the "pressed" plates. They are not very long lasting because all the middles start to drop out of the "O", "8", "D", etc, etc...

Asgrove Interparts in DunLaoghaire do nice plates, still the small letters though, but at least it;s better than nothing.

Paul are the plates that ashgrove in Dun Laoghaire sell ACE Plates?
    Apparently Headfort MG do Ace plates http://www.headfortmg.com/links.html
    and a guy in clondalkin does Ace Plates too ...Willy Meade 01 4513323

The small digit silver-on-black plates look terrible on classic cars (see Merc pic below).

The ACE plates are nice, but I believe they are very costly - I recall one guy advertising them at a car show some years ago for £100 per pair :eek:

The large digit silver-on-black plates really look the part on classics (see 'proper sized digits' pic below). They are pressed plates, but the centre doesn't fall out of them - that only happens with the 'french style' plates (as pictured below on the Merc).

I have details of a guy in Meath who makes large digit plates, I will PM his details to you.

Alternatively, you could contact either of the UK suppliers I have listed in my 'Suppliers' thread.

Silvera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

No Shagman, they are the "French style" digits, but at least they're foil based rather than the standard pressed plates where the centre start dropping out...

I didn't know of any other crowds doing the large digits, or the ACE style plates, so Thanks Silvera for putting up the details. I will certainly be having a chat with them, to see what they'll be charging (because 100 pounds is a bit OTT).

Here is Holland we also have ACE style plates for Classics (white letters/digits on a dark blue plate, smaller than the Old UK and Irish plates), but unfortunately there is no way I could have a set made up for an Irish car, because to order a set of plates to be made up here, you MUST produce the actual registration document bearing the Reg number you want to have made up, which will then be verified before you can order them. You can't just make up an extra set, to prevent people from "Ghosting" other cars.

PaulK_CCI,

AFAIK, it is the 'french style' plates that "fall apart" i.e. centres fall out of 'O', 'D' etc etc as with modern EU plates in the 'french style'.

'Embossed' plates are made from a single sheet of aluminium unlike the layered 'french style' plates.

Embossed silver-on-black plates can usually be seen on Irish Defence Force vehicles.
    Windsor (Nissan) Garages make EU embossed plates for modern cars (this is where I always get mine. They are the only place that I know of who make them properly, i.e. properly spaced - not huge gaps between digits !).

I tend to notice details on cars :D

Silvera.

I did a bit of ringing around and heres what I found...Theres a huge price range on plates I've been quoted between €19 and €150 depending on style.
    Ashgrove interparts were the cheapest but use the smaller digits , next up was pressed plates small digits for €40 and big digits for €75 then ace plates at around €150!!!!!!
    The winner was the Ace digits on their own for about €35 (depending if I end up with VZ **** or VZ *****). Once I get my number from the vro I'll buy these and strip the numbers off the uk plate and put these on .
    Silvera or anyone else do you know what the correct spacing should be?

shagman,
    where were you quoted €75 for large-digit pressed plates ?
    and were the plates silver-on-black ?

As regards spacing of digits, the official specs are as follows -

Space between digits min=13mm
    Space between index mark and numbers min=38mm
    (i.e. between ZV and the first number)

(N.B. these specs refer to oblong not square plates).

However, if your UK plates already have holes in them from the UK letters/numbers (most likely), the new 'ZV' reg digits will not covers all of these ?!

Have you priced plates from a UK supplier (even for comparisons sake) ?
    E.g. Steve Frampton : www.buy-a-plate.com

Advertisement