Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Name the make and model

• 03-07-2020 11:32am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Spotted on the Belgard Road, Tallaght.
    Can anyone name the make/model?

KwwP39c.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sunbeam Rapier Fastback, from around the late 60s, early 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Like the b4st4rd child of an Audi coupe and a Jensen interceptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Miscreant

spacetweek wrote: »
    Spotted on the Belgard Road, Tallaght.
    Can anyone name the make/model?

KwwP39c.png

I think that used to live in the garden of a small bungalow just off Kildare Road in Crumlin. I definitely used to pass a red Rapier like that regularly years ago and admired it. What are the chances of 2 of them in Dublin and so close to each other? :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Used to be 2 or 3 of them in the breaker just coming into Portarlington.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Do you reckon they're gonna wreck it or try to restore it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Looking at the Transporter (it's very clean, well kept, not cheap, etc) I'd guess they're not bringing it to the local Metal Recycling place to claim their €45 :).

If that was picked up for scrap it would be hanging on for dear life to the back of a 20 year old Ford Transit Recovery Yoke....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Looking at the Transporter (it's very clean, well kept, not cheap, etc) I'd guess they're not bringing it to the local Metal Recycling place to claim their €45 :).

If that was picked up for scrap it would be hanging on for dear life to the back of a 20 year old Ford Transit Recovery Yoke....

I'm glad, cause that car would look fantastic if restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

spacetweek wrote: »
    I'm glad, cause that car would look fantastic if restored.

I always liked those Alpines. It was in my shortlist for many years to restore one.
    That and a 2002 or a Dolly Sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

unfit2006 wrote: »
    I always liked those Alpines. It was in my shortlist for many years to restore one.

Alpine ??

MercMad wrote: »
    Alpine ??

Yep. like the one in the pic above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

unfit2006 wrote: »

I must admit I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the Rapier and the Alpine version visually, still - they look good enough when they're well sorted.

My bad. You're right. They're a Rapier. I remember seeing a few of them back in the 70's and 80's and thinking they were a lovely looking car. I remember reading somwhere later that they were "a fancy shaped Hillman Hunter" or words to that effect.It still did'nt put me off them though and I always held a gra for them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Those Rapiers a whore to drive. The long sloped window at the back makes rear view bad, and they mist up and that makes it worse. Road holding is crap as well.

They are basically a Hillman Hunter re badge.

Advertisement