Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jowett Cars

• 29-12-2013 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Are there any Irish jowett cars around , they also made a van i think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭500man

On a zv been for sale a few times that one with minor rear lights too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

There is an article in a November issue (not sure exactly which one) of Classic Car Weekly about those sporty ones. Quite interesting reading.

Thats the Jupiter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Yep.

Wednesday 27th of November. Issue nr. 1208.

There is red coupé in the article and green convertible.

Total approx. 600 Jupiters made and prices are from 2000 english money units (project) - 30 000 (concours).

etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

500man wrote: »
    they also made a van i think

They did indeed, it was called the Jowett Bradford, but was commonly referred to as just the 'Bradford Van', Bradford in the UK being the location of the factory

As far as I can remember the van had a 1L twin cylinder boxer engine and was quite under powered, as with most vans of the time period. A big engine in a van was seen as wasteful back then :rolleyes:

I actually really like Jowetts, particularly the Javelin, they are a very interesting car, and even though they weren't a big commercial success, they were very well designed. Rare cars though, and very few in Ireland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLA-rz7gAeQ

Interesting bit of film Wonder did many sell here and did many survive havent seen an Irish one yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

500man wrote: »
    Interesting bit of film Wonder did many sell here and did many survive havent seen an Irish one yet

The priest in Ballykissangel had one. You'd see it in the programme the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Many moons ago, the father of a school chum had three Jowetts. He lived off Roebuck Road in Dublin. They were all Irish ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

ZO 2222 Jowett Javelin, I took a picture of it about 20 years ago, it was immaculate then, don't know if it survived in the meantime, haven't seen it on the show circuit.

I'll upload the pic as soon as poss.

Regards
    Darren

• Advertisement

Good stuff looking forward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Jowett.jpg

Great pic Blue wonder if it still in the land of the living

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

Looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bobdunn

I saw ZO 2222 the other day .Its for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

bobdunn wrote: »
    I saw ZO 2222 the other day .Its for sale.

Wow where did you come across it. Very rare to see an irish javelin still above ground. Would love to own that. Is it advertised for sale or just a word of mouth thing

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bsaarmybike

Sadly that car was sold to a UK enthusiast the other day, apparently no irish 'enthusiasts' would step up to buy it and low balled the seller

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bsaarmybike

26 javelins were assembled here by WP Ryan, Ringsend. Three were sold to UK from new as cheaper here at the time. Only one survived, ZO2222, now gone to UK so no irish ones here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The DVLA allow cars to retain their reg from the old Irish system when they are imported. Hopefully it at least keeps the reg since it’s not here anymore. Seen a couple of ZV regs on YouTube and carandclassic.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
Advertisement