Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'78 marina.

• 20-07-2015 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi,

have a '78 morris marina 1.8. Cant get it into gear ? clutch. is there anything i can do or tell the garage before i leave it in?

many thanks. G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

Have you bled the clutch slave cylinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Is there a piano jammed in front of the gear stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

Moving the piano was no bother, but i'm unsure how to approach the gorilla with a hammer! :p

as for bleeding the clutch slave cylinder, i'll look that up & give it ago. many thanks, TBRF.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Is there a piano jammed in front of the gear stick?

Ah, good old Scientific Method. Can't bate it with rod-iron, bah! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

With an old tractor we've put into first gear while off, turn the key. Car will lurch forward so be careful. Put in reverse, turn the key.

The stress can shift a stuck clutch.

Only do this after bleeding the slave cylinder.

Be very careful to have lots of clear space in front and behind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

_Brian wrote: »
    With an old tractor we've put into first gear while off, turn the key. Car will lurch forward so be careful. Put in reverse, turn the key.

The stress can shift a stuck clutch.

Only do this after bleeding the slave cylinder.

Be very careful to have lots of clear space in front and behind you.

Agreed or roll it out and start in gear a drive it to free it , clutch pedal in and out under load/overrun might free it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GalwayUser

Hi,

I had a similar problem with mine last year after I parked up for the winter.
    I found information on FastMarinaMagazine forum which is the same as the others have said.

websitename/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=12&jfile=viewtopic.php&f=1&t=6280

From the above forum:
    "I can recommend the jack it up and warm it through method.

However most recently, I let the engine tickover and warm through on the drive. Switch off, then I keep the clutch pedal down and just start it in gear a drive and change gear matching revs using the synchros. You can go up and down the gearbox with a bit of practice. When you want to stop just knock it out of gear and then brake. Kill the engine and reselect first, to pull away just start the engine and away you go. It usually takes two to three miles and suddenly the revs will rise as the clutch frees off."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

If it's a stuck clutch, I;d jack it up at the back, stick it in gear and start it, run up the revs a bit and either slam all the brakes on hard or drop the jack (making sure it's chocked or there's nothing in front of it of course). Should be a big bang and all well,

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

thanks for all the replies, so far. :)
    Bled the clutch slave, all good. For approximately an hour then back to square one again. Left it into a local independent who thinks the clutch cylinder head is sucking in air? Would that be right?

Will call into them tomorrow & see what the craic is exactly.

Advertisement