Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Records

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

A few days for a search and you were equipped with a date/placename/etc?

I'll give them a shout in the morning as I think they've limited opening hours at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I had names (it was a marriage) and a rough decade. They weren't able to find it.
    Later discovered it in the UK.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

They might be closed for the week as I tried calling yesterday and today but no answer. Also popped by and the gates were locked.

Update to the reading room setup, which is reopened now.

https://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2020/06/gro-research-room-in-dublin-reopens.html

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

One appointment in the morning and one in the afternoon.

They may as well leave it closed and put their efforts into a better online service.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Hermy wrote: »
    One appointment in the morning and one in the afternoon.

They may as well leave it closed and put their efforts into a better online service.

Absolutely ridiculous to call that a service. I was so thankful when most of the records I needed moved online. The only research possible in the so called research room is to either pay €20 for a full days searching of the printed indexes or €2 to search five volumes [if my memory serves me well]. There are no computers in the room which could be used for any other type of research.

Having one solitary person searching at a time is a farce - the room is huge and could easily accommodate many more.

As Hermy says - let them concentrate on providing an online service and forget the so called research room for the time being.

I wonder do they mean one slot in the morning/afternoon, rather than one person only.

It's a massive space.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭crossman47

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I wonder do they mean one slot in the morning/afternoon, rather than one person only.

It's a massive space.

That would be my impression too.

It's a massive space.

I would hope that is what they mean but Claire Santry seems to think otherwise.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yes, I was talking to her about it.

I suspect we won't know until someone tries it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 KK Supercats

I have an appointment for 2.00 tomorrow afternoon. Will let you know the set up once I have finished in the research room.

How did you get on?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Update to the reading room setup, which is reopened now.

https://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2020/06/gro-research-room-in-dublin-reopens.html

The NLI and NAI also plan on opening by appointment only, from 29 June.

To be fair to the NLI, at least it sends emails advising users of the plan; while the NAI does not. I only found out from a member of NAI staff who happened to enter the building as I passed. Indeed the NAI was the only public repository which did not have a Covid notice on the door throughout the lockdown.

The changes needed for the GRO, NAI and NLI are minimal, hand sanitisers and a degree of social distancing. Unfortunately bureaucratic bodies are prone to use any excuse / circumstance to restrict public service.
    The real danger is that after other restrictions have been relaxed, the national institutions will leave them in place long-term.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just on the GRO and appointments etc.. If you need to search the indexes by all means get an appointment, but if you email in your references year/volume/page etc., my experience has been that they have them back in a couple of hours.
    Someone rings you when they are ready and sorts out online payment and then they email you your requested records.

Please provide the following details

Births

Child’s Forename and Surname and one of the following

Date of Birth, Place of Birth, Mother’s Maiden Name.
    Year, Qtr, Vol, Page Number
    Group Registration Number

Deaths

Deceased’s Forename and Surname and one of the following

Date of Death, Place of Death. Approximate age at the time of death.

Marriages

Bride’s Forename and Surname and /or Groom’s Forename and Surname and one of the following.

Date of Marriage, Place of Marriage,

Fee per copy is €4.00

Please email any requests for copies to GROResearchRoom@welfare.ie

Please provide a contact telephone number and postal address.

As soon as they are processed a staff member will email you and ask that you call

+353 (0)1 8940080 to process card payment.

Once card payment has been authorised your copies will be sent to you via email or by post.

I've been waiting 3 weeks for one I've ordered directly from Roscommon.

I'll be doing the above from now on!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Is Michael Collins death certificate available would anyone know? I've searched '1922' and 'aged 31' or '32' for all years but it's not showing.

It might have been registered late - a lot of revolutionary figures weren't registered until this century.

I'd call the GRO on the phone and ask.

Genealogy Forum Mod

A regular contributor to the IGP Dublin Facebook page has just posted these links to the civil death records of some of those executed in the aftermath of the 1916 Rising, whose deaths were not registered until the year 2000.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1916/020453/7178614.pdf

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1916/020453/7178615.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

I used the reading room email yesterday to get a copy cert - I had it within an hour. Amazing. And they're planning to keep this service up.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

Hopefully the Births(1920), Marriages(1945) and Deaths(1970) will issue before this weekend.
    Last year's upload was on the 8th. January.

• Advertisement

That would be great, but I think wildly optimistic!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

The scans of the earliest records would be far more beneficial (especially to me!:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭VirginiaB

That makes two of us. The oldest death records are often the only link to the late 1700s and early 1800s. Hoping for soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

BowWow wrote: »
    Hopefully the Births(1920), Marriages(1945) and Deaths(1970) will issue before this weekend.
    Last year's upload was on the 8th. January.

Only 3 weeks out :p

https://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2021/02/irishgenealogyie-adds-rolling-year-of.html

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭p15574

A 1920 birth I've been waiting on is there alright, but no image. They should have images, shouldn't they?

Edit: I thought I might be able to find another one from the same month for the area (Caherciveen) and navigate to it that way, but none of them appear to have images

If there's no image it might be that other entries on the same page are outside the 100 years cut off.
    Is the birth you're interested in from late in the year?

If that's not the case you can sometimes get around this by searching the indexes at Family Search for other entries from the same date and location and then looking up those entries at Irish Genealogy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seem to remember a December '18 birth in my family had no image til 2020 due to a late registration and being on a page of 1919 ones; it definitely happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭p15574

Hermy wrote: »
    If there's no image it might be that other entries on the same page are outside the 100 years cut off.
    Is the birth you're interested in from late in the year?

It's from October 23, but I've just searched for any birth in Cahirciveen for 1920 - there are 374 of them. I've checked ones from January and they have no images either. Some of them (including those for dates after my one) have transcripts - a message at the bottom saying "As no image is available, please click here to view a transcript of the register entry.", but unfortunately, not my one.

Maybe they're just updating bit by bit, I'll try again in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I was doing some local history research and came across this snippet in the Newry Reporter dated Nov 25, 1869. The dialogue was taken from a meeting of the Newry Board of Guardians. It demonstrates what we already know - an unwillingness, a reluctance to use, maybe in some cases an ignorance, of the new BMD registration system. They seem to have decided to make a few examples; crack the whip.

Thought it would just be something to interest everyone.

• Advertisement

That's really interesting to see. Thanks for sharing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement