Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Full respray cost

• 10-07-2019 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

Been a while (~9 years) since I got a full respray and the car is in serious need of one, probably needs a few layers sanded off first. So I'm trying to get an idea of costs before I go calling around to garages, I'd be looking at stripping the car myself and would be going for a similar colour.

Its a coupe 68 mustang - Dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

5k+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I'm getting quotes at the moment. Generally ranging from 2-3k. One headcase wanted 6k.

Probably going to with a highly recommended guy who does it for about 1.5k. I don't think you need to pay big money to get a decent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Full respray for 1500....:eek:

Are we talking engine bay, doors off, glass out etc....5-8k....

Full respray for 1500....:eek:

Yep - its a great price. Only downside is that the invoice isn't too impressive when it comes to bragging rights, but the paint job will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

kdevitt wrote: »
    Yep - its a great price. Only downside is that the invoice isn't too impressive when it comes to bragging rights, but the paint job will be good.

What size car? I'd be very surprised if you get a good job done for that. The amount of time that it takes to rip down and prep a car right would come to €1500 alone. Paint would cost at least €500 plus whatever they charge for doing it themselves. I'd love to see that paint job when it's done. Add on overheads and that guy is either cutting serious corners or doesnt know how to work out his expenses. There is no way you can make money at that rate.

I got an external only respray (including doors, bonnet and bootlid taken off for better access but not painted inside) done and it cost me €3000 and that was a really good price. I can't see how you'd do it any cheaper when I see the amount of time it took.

Why do you think the guy that wanted €6000 is a head case? Maybe the head case is the guy who reckons he can do it for half to a third of what other people are quoting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭jmreire

All depends on how much preparation is required......same colour or colour change?? 90 % + of the job will be preparation... actual spraying does not take too long, ares a % of the time it takes. A 100% paint job would entail completely removing everything in the car..engine, gearbox, seats, and stripping the car back to a bare metal shell. Then treating rust, body damaged etc. priming and top coating. This will obviously be the most expensive job, but will be the best one. So it all depends on what kind of job you want done..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

1500 will get you a paint job, just everything will be masked off instead of being properly removed, trim, glass, lights etc will just be covered in tape. don't expect anything close to a factory finish.

Skatedude wrote: »
    1500 will get you a paint job, just everything will be masked off instead of being properly removed, trim, glass, lights etc will just be covered in tape. don't expect anything close to a factory finish.

No, and if it is a colour change....after a mask off job, (because it's nearly impossible to clean the area's near the masking tape. ) after awhile, it will flake off on the edges, and the original paint will show through. Even if it's the same colour this will happen, and it's a dead giveaway that the vehicle has been painted, Which will affect the value of the car, if you want to sell it. So you might be better off doing a partial respray...see what parts of the paint work can be restored by a good machine compound and polish, and keep the spraying to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

If you are happy to pay 1500 for a respray then you don't need our advice!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Have you considered going for a full wrap instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

w124man wrote: »
    If you are happy to pay 1500 for a respray then you don't need our advice!

You are aware that the 1500 job being talked about is not for the person on here enquiring about the cost of a respray.

swarlb wrote: »
    You are aware that the 1500 job being talked about is not for the person on here enquiring about the cost of a respray.

Yeah!

Of course I am.

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

mustang68 wrote: »
    Been a while (~9 years) since I got a full respray and the car is in serious need of one, probably needs a few layers sanded off first. So I'm trying to get an idea of costs before I go calling around to garages, I'd be looking at stripping the car myself and would be going for a similar colour.

Its a coupe 68 mustang - Dublin

How much did you spend last time, and did you get good value for money on that (considering it needs re-doing now)?

Go for it...sounds like youre sorted...

swarlb wrote: »

maybe its a mini....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭mustang68

How much did you spend last time, and did you get good value for money on that (considering it needs re-doing now)?

I think I spent about 2700, it was just over 10 years ago. Did I get good value; I was happy enough at the time, took a few weeks to set and there were some problems that needed touching up, but it looked good.

Recently the clearcoat is giving up all over the roof, pin holes through the paint and around the glass is starting to look rough. The hood and trunk lid are rotting through, so it will be easier to replace and respray then to repair and respray. There isn't anything I can wax/polish put anymore.

I had though about wrapping the car, did my homework on that... that would be great if I was just thinking of a colour change and the paint was good, but any imperfections would be amplified by the wrap.

I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

In that case I think Kadman is on the money with €5k+.

That's what I was seeing when asking around in a similar situation.

I fail to see how you can get a good job done for 1500,

but if you are happy, then go for it. But considering you had issues at 2700

ten years ago, its buyer beware.

Good luck with it.

kadman wrote: »

Good luck with it.

I doubt you're in way aware of the full details of that respray unless you're a close friend, but the price on that car really had nothing to do with it. Either way, that car was stripped to more or less a bare shell, all glass out - and they still produced a ****e job after 6 months.

However, my last respray on my E36 turned out excellent - at more or less the same cost. Two different bodyshops, same cost, different results.

Anyway - I got a more firm quote from the guys today, and turns out €1500 was a base quote for a convertible they did. Given the fact mine has a roof - the quote for my touring is €2.5k, which is all glass out, no engine bay, no colour change. That's bang on average with the other quotes I've had. Have seen a good few jobs they've done - including a Qashqai today which just had a full roof replaced, and the work was super.

These guys have been referred to me by four different people whose opinion I trust, I've seen their work - its very good and they're pretty cheap as it happens. Its going in next month for paint with them - so we'll see how it works out.

I doubt you're in way aware of the full details of that respray unless you're a close friend, but the price on that car really had nothing to do with it. Either way, that car was stripped to more or less a bare shell, all glass out - and they still produced a ****e job after 6 months.

However, my last respray on my E36 turned out excellent - at more or less the same cost. Two different bodyshops, same cost, different results.

Anyway - I got a more firm quote from the guys today, and turns out €1500 was a base quote for a convertible they did. Given the fact mine has a roof - the quote for my touring is €2.5k, which is all glass out, no engine bay, no colour change. That's bang on average with the other quotes I've had. Have seen a good few jobs they've done - including a Qashqai today which just had a full roof replaced, and the work was super.

These guys have been referred to me by four different people whose opinion I trust, I've seen their work - its very good and they're pretty cheap as it happens. Its going in next month for paint with them - so we'll see how it works out.

Like I said if you are happy then go for it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭mustang68

kadman wrote: »

Good luck with it.

There seems to be some confusion here, I'm the original poster who was looking for input on price/options for a respray, it was another poster which mentioned that they were happy with their 1500 quote.

So I'm still open to input, my mind is far from made up! Another two questions I have 1) what type of paint, 2K? and 2) considering that it now has three colours on the car will the painter need to go down to metal and is that something I can/should do myself?

There seems to be some confusion here, I'm the original poster who was looking for input on price/options for a respray, it was another poster which mentioned that they were happy with their 1500 quote.

So I'm still open to input, my mind is far from made up! Another two questions I have 1) what type of paint, 2K? and 2) considering that it now has three colours on the car will the painter need to go down to metal and is that something I can/should do myself?

You mention that there are pin holes appearing in the paint, and especially near the window's plus the clear coat is peeling off the roof? Most pinholing is caused by water in the paint during the spraying. Unless there is a very good water extraction / dryer connected to the compressor, minute water particles will mix with the paint being sprayed, and down the road, they will present as pinholes. All horizontal surfaces on a car suffer the worst that the sun can offer...particularly noticeable in red coloured cars. But in both cases, pinholing and peeling, complete strip down to the metal is the only cure, if its not done,,,,then they will re appear after a time. If you are handy with your hands, then there may be a certain amount that you could do, but be advised by whoever will be finishing off the job......if there is a problem after wards, then the blame game will start. Personally, I would let the professionals do the job, from A to Z. They will be able to advise you also on what is the best paint choice for your car, taking everything into account.

I know that you are looking for the quote. And I think a cheap 1500 euro paint job is exactly that, cheap.

You cant buy paint and consumables, and pay for lecky,heat,insurance and apart from labour for 1500 euro. So something is missing.

I,ve seen spray jobs from some of certain marque professionals that were disgraceful, but cost thousands, so you need to do your homework well, and contact previous owners of cars that were done by your man of choice, going back a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 meathtaxi22

No I'll rather pay more have the job rite if its worth doing do it rite I would pay 2/25.k have it done with a push 3k..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 meathtaxi22

There's alot of work goes into a full respary 1500. Is a half job glass out lights out bumbers off doors handles off. change colour 4/5k that's be cheap and job done rite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Peew

At the end of this discussion can anyone recommend a decent guy to do this kind of work in Dublin or surrounding counties.

Hannons Crash Repairs outside Bray is okay.

Dineens in Cork City is really good however if you hassle over the price he wont entertain you

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Peew

Been trying Hannons from before the pandemic, and every time I go back to him he has a reason to tell me to come back in 6 weeks, I was to go back to him in September there but couldn't make it and other things took up my time since.

I plan on giving him another shout soon, but I would expect to be given the usual come back again lark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Nick84

1500 for a respray, try to imagine how many working hours that actually requires. I doubt anyone can do it properly for this kind of money. I had some quotes last year for around 3500-3700 including sanding off and thought this could be a pretty well-priced service regarding the amount of work that needs to be done. Don't go for the cheapest option. Your car will thank you.

Advertisement