Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft phone scam back 3532143612

• 26-07-2018 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3 Zmt

So we have received 4-5 calls over the last few days to our home phone from a male(s) (with an accent that sounded like Indian/Pakistani ) saying he is from Microsoft. He says he is phoning because of many problems on our home computer. I have told him we don't have a computer, I've asked him to stop calling, but no joy. He just hangs up. Then he/they phone again.

This morning he said his name was Peter and asked was I Mrs ...... and had our family name.

The phone number he uses is 3532143612.

Any tips for stopping him calling?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

I love these guys - I play with them for as long as I can. Tell them nothing.

I usually end by blowing a ref's whistle down the phone at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭tech

SNAP - looking forward to them calling again, I let them on a special PC i have setup
    Windows 10 Host Pc
    and then have a few VMs ready for them!!
    Windows 3.1
    Win 95
    Win 98
    XP
    Ubuntu
    MAC OS

it wrecks their heads!!

:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I got one of those calls from Microsoft about my windows. [Well, he said in an Indian accent that he was from Microsoft].

I told him they are only in a week and appear OK, but what does he think is wrong with them. I said I went for the aluminium ones and I think they are great. Took a while more talking crap before he dropped the line.

Nice one, Sam Russell!

I have been getting this type of call for maybe 4 years now. Same background noise and poor quality line. The number shown on my phone is fake.

About 2 years ago I managed to persuade them that my name is XXXX YYYY - not my real name. They always now use my fake name at start of call.

I deduce that it is either the same outfit that still phones me OR they sell/give the phone number and name database to other outfits.

I guess that the auto dialling arrangement that they use allows them to log when we pick up the phone.

Funny, they never seem to call on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Just tell him Gill sold you the rust proof already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Just connect them to a Jolly Roger bot,

Good for you!
    I'm not up to the technical sophistication of letting these guys near my computer.

Have enjoyed both the "suspicious activity on your credit card" and the fake survey calls in last two days. They the fake survey call was from a very busy office - always a lot of background chatter going on.

It's the same (or related) outfits do the calling. They all use my fake name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Mustafa Hissing Cone

Told one that colleagues in MS told me not to take these type of calls and was then asked for my ID number. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What made the local news headlines here in Donegal just before Xmas was the local Garda station getting 2 calls on the same day from "windows tech support" :D

It's a story on BBC web pages about "courier fraud". Fraudsters have been detected and arrested.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51371433

The fraudsters call victims on the phone, pretending to be a police officer or bank official, and persuade them to hand over money to a "courier" on the pretext of assisting an investigation into corruption.

I wonder if the fake survey calls that I get are the preliminary to the fraud. I get asked about my circumstances: age, accommodation,... We never get past the washing machine make. I go to look and do not return.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I got a call the other day from 'Amazon' telling me my Amazon Prime account was due to expire and I would be charged £39.99 a month.

I told them I had never heard of Amazon and so I did not have an account. Phone went dead.

I got a call the other day from 'Amazon' telling me my Amazon Prime account was due to expire and I would be charged £39.99 a month.

I told them I had never heard of Amazon and so I did not have an account. Phone went dead.
    I've had about a dozen or so of those over the last couple of weeks with 3 in the one day and another at 6:45 AM :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Xcellor

muffler wrote: »
    I've had about a dozen or so of those over the last couple of weeks with 3 in the one day and another at 6:45 AM :eek:

I had one of these yesterday. I do have a prime account but it sounded dodge so hung up. These lads would try anything...

Xcellor wrote: »
    I had one of these yesterday. I do have a prime account but it sounded dodge so hung up. These lads would try anything...

I always spoof.

If it is Windows, then I say they were only fitted last week, so what is wrong? They open and close OK - so they are fine.

Or if it is something like Amazon, I say I have never heard of **** so I know nothing about it. etc etc etc.

If it is a survey, I say I am not interested. I think in future, I will ask if I get paid for answering their questions. If they say 'Yes, what are your bank details etc.' I will know I have been matched.

If they call me, I know it is a scam.

The "Amazon" calls that I have received recently all seem to be automated. Sounds like a computer generated voice like what you would hear when your bank or credit card balance is given over the phone.

A couple of weeks back I got a call from "Eir" technical support and the conversation went like this:

me: so you're a scammer then.
    him: who say Im a scammer
    me: Im after saying it, are you fcuking deaf
    him: and I say you mother fcuker

The bollix hung up on me then :(

Have not had any of these phone calls for 3 or 4 weeks now.
    Wonder if they are now attempting to take advantage of coronavirus fears.
    Anyway, I'm ready for them!

Advertisement