Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Penetrating Damp

• 27-02-2021 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Just noticed a damp straight line in the hall. It was hidden by a plant. It is about 5ft tall and in about 1 to 2 inches wide. There are yellow/sand bricks in front. I read that Thompson’s One Seal is not good as it is not breathable. How can I fix this as I am not a DIY expert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Need to see what's outside tbh . Any gutters? Roof line etc external raised beds

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MP4691

There is a downpipe and gutters were cleaned recently enough. Garden to the front and on a rise. Conscious if we have more rain it is going to get worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I could paint on outside of brick?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

Have a look at this:

Thanks for the video. This is exactly what I need. I have looked at stockists near me but nothing shows up on their websites eg Woodies. Can this be bought in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

No idea I'm afraid, think I saw it on amazon. If you get in touch with the manufacturer, they might know if there are any stockists in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

MP4691 wrote: »
    Just noticed a damp straight line in the hall. It was hidden by a plant. It is about 5ft tall and in about 1 to 2 inches wide. There are yellow/sand bricks in front. I read that Thompson’s One Seal is not good as it is not breathable. How can I fix this as I am not a DIY expert?

Firstly dont jump in with both feet assuming its coming through the wall unless its a patch that doesnt contact the floor.
    You should firstly look at surface water externally, ground levels and path levels externally - whether rainwater is being pushed towards the base of the house.
    Any defective gutters.
    Is the ground level suitably lower than internal floor?
    Secondly, have you considered that it could be a plumbing issue?
    What is the wall makeup and how old is the house?

Advertisement