Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should certain topics be banned?

• 09-10-2020 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Or at least banished to a subforum?

- Apple vs Android: Apple people won't convince android people and vice versa. Who cares, get over it
    - Guinness vs craft beer: the lack of self awareness of supposed Guinness "sages" complaining about craft beer snobs was funny at first but sick of it now. Similarly for craft beer snobs saying <insert popular beer> is mass produced muck. Drink what you like and leave other people do the same
    - Virtue signalling: I fucking hate posts that start along the lines of "i was on my way to where I volunteer at the time....." before telling a story that has nothing to do with that
    - non Politics threads giving out about Trump: yes we know you hate Trump, your virtues are beyond reproach. However your "this is how Trump got elected, by the way does everyone know I hate Trump..." post doesn't really fit the tone of the thread tbh
    - cyclists vs motorists: yawn
    - Dubs vs "culchies": yawn
    - threads about stuff that should be banned

Anything else?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CarProblem wrote: »

- Apple vs Android: Apple people won't convince android people and vice versa. Who cares, get over it
    - Guinness vs craft beer: the lack of self aware of supposed Guinness "sages" complaining about craft beer snobs was funny at first but sick of it now. Similarly for craft beer snobs saying <insert popular beer> is mass produced muck. Drink what you like and leave other people do the same
    - Virtue signalling: I fucking hate posts that start along the lines of "i was on my way to where I volunteer at the time....." before telling a story that has nothing to do with that
    - non Politics threads giving out about Trump: yes we know you hate Trump, your virtues are beyond reproach. However your "this is how Trump got elected, by the way does everyone know I hate Trump..." post doesn't really fit the tone of the thread tbh

Anything else?

Car problems?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Fcukin hate people calling for things to be banned which are mildly annoying at best...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

No, if there's a thread discussing a topic that's been done to death then I just don't bother reading it.

- Guinness vs craft beer: the lack of self aware of supposed Guinness "sages" complaining about craft beer snobs was funny at first but sick of it now. Similarly for craft beer snobs saying <insert popular beer> is mass produced muck. Drink what you like and leave other people do the same

Anything else?

If you read one then press ‘back’ and get on with your life. The fact you read enough of these to annoy you when you already know they annoy you says a lot more about your head than Boards.

Obsession with scutter should not be banned but only mocked and derided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭CarProblem

The fact you read enough of these to annoy you when you already know they annoy you says a lot more about your head than Boards.

I respectfully disagree

Me: Oh look a thread title that suggests it might be about something mildly interesting
    *clicks into thread*
    Me: aw shyte, it's been ruined by comments similar to those in the OP

If the thread title is overtly about stuff in the OP i don't click in

I respectfully disagree

Me: Oh look a thread about something mildly interesting
    *clicks into thread*
    Me: aw shyte, it's been ruined by comments similar to those in the OP

So click out and move to the next thread.

Ban them? Away and ****e. Shower of offended petals.

So click out and move to the next thread.

Ban them? Away and ****e. Shower of offended petals.

Do you know what "light hearted thread" means? Well it was supposed to be one of those.....

Annoyed and offended are two different things btw

Do you know what "light hearted thread" means? Well it was supposed to be one of those.....

Annoyed and offended are two different things btw

That wasn’t your intention in your first post but it’s probably better to backtrack early instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Obsession with scutter should not be banned but only mocked and derided.

Not sure anyone really mocks and derides your posts, Bertie. Ignore them more likely, this respected poster would opine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭mikemac2

3 religion forums on this website yet After Hours gets lots of these threads

If the OP wanted information and have a debate and maybe learn something they would have gone there but you don't get likes for being edgy and cool for ranting

That wasn’t your intention in your first post but it’s probably better to backtrack early instead.

It kind of was but yeah, you're right, some randomer on the internet knows more about me and my intentions than I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Anything to do with Trump

Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 20,329 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It kind of was but yeah, you're right, some randomer on the internet knows more about me and my intentions than I do

Here's my suggestion of how you should have gone about it.

Like threads about stuff that should be banned.

Not sure anyone really mocks and derides your posts, Bertie. Ignore them more likely, this respected poster would opine.

A subtle effort at mirroring, amateur psychologist Flashman at your service. You've almost acquired a reputation, respect will follow in the coming decades.

Here's my suggestion of how you should have gone about it.

Like threads about stuff that should be banned.

Em, it was the last item on my list in the OP :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

No topic for discussion should be banned. That is how we all share and learn knowledge. But radicals make that difficult as in it is their way or no way.

No topic for discussion should be banned. That is how we all share and learn knowledge. But radicals make that difficult as in it is their way or no way.

Virtue signalling - banned

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Not banned but unless they are a unique query give them a mega thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

A subtle effort at mirroring, amateur psychologist Flashman at your service. You've almost acquired a reputation, respect will follow in the coming decades.

I’ve seen you post here a lot and all you do is attack people with these really lame half baked bon-mots. You’re nowhere near the rapier wit you think you are, pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Virtue signalling - banned

That phrase and phrase the end of life that has come popular with covid should be banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Why a civilised West Brits/countryfolk thread can't be left open is trifling at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I personally don't think any threads or topicsshould be banned, If anything the mods (bless them) could give the posters a bit of extra leeway and them go at each other with a bit of venom. I've no problem with anybody have a go at me as long as I'm allowed have a go back. But this is just my opinion. Any of you fu©k heads wanna disagree

Em, it was the last item on my list in the OP :confused:

The stuff in between led to "some randomer" missing your intention to make it lighthearted.

Kylta wrote: »
    I personally don't think any threads or topicsshould be banned, If anything the mods (bless them) could give the posters a bit of extra leeway and them go at each other with a bit of venom. I've no problem with anybody have a go at me as long as I'm allowed have a go back. But this is just my opinion. Any of you fu©k heads wanna disagree

Sign of weakness there saying "just my opinion".

I love AH because its all about p!ss take. So I think there should be some sort of a committee, say called the (slaughters). So when somebody posts something and they want a serious debate, I think they should be slaughtered with stick and mild abuse ( mild abuse my bolloxs). If the debate starts to turn into my political party us better than yours then the first poster should be slaughtered and ridiculed ( left the abuse bit out if case of mod watch, shh abuse still in, its part of our creed). Same with religion, or pervie fu¢kings posts, whoa did I just stamp a certain Mr cards. Anyway if anybody has any suggestions I'm open to ridiculing them

I’ve seen you post here a lot and all you do is attack people with these really lame half baked bon-mots. You’re nowhere near the rapier wit you think you are, pal.

Whatever you say, newbie. "Pal", the signature giveaway. This isn't your first rodeo, and dare I say it won't be your last. Longevity isn't your strong suit on boards, perhaps you should try something you are actually good at. Other than working the left hand overtime.

Sign of weakness there saying "just my opinion".

Prove it?

Kylta wrote: »
    Prove it?

Ask me nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

Whatever you say, newbie. "Pal", the signature giveaway. This isn't your first rodeo, and dare I say it won't be your last. Longevity isn't your strong suit on boards, perhaps you should try something you are actually good at. Other than working the left hand overtime.

Chippy.

Advertisement