Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the Ian Wright/Patrick O'Brien situation?

• 13-05-2020 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭

I know he's only young, but my word what he said was disgraceful. I hope he genuinely is sorry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

He should be grounded......oh no wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I know he's only young, but my word what he said was disgraceful. I hope he genuinely is sorry.
    I saw he had put up something to say his account was hacked.... utter BS.
    Its important people are held accountable for spouting racist rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Odhinn

What was it he said?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Odhinn wrote: »
    What was it he said?
    He sent messages to Ian wright.
    Horrendous.
    Most of it will probably be starred out.

I know I'm not meant to look at them but these messages still hit me so hard man. This is a child!!! "You are a ****ing monkey", "**** coon monkey ******". Direct message to me from Patrick O'Brien on IG. This kid as a direct line into me & is able to send this without any worry. https://t.co/6noGvmkb4u

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Salvadoor

Careful now, the thread on this in the Kerry Forum (and posts in Tralee thread) were locked/deleted by an overprotective Tralee based Mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Odhinn

gmisk wrote: »
    Horrendous.

I know I'm not meant to look at them but these messages still hit me so hard man. This is a child!!! "You are a ****ing monkey", "**** coon monkey ******". Direct message to me from Patrick O'Brien on IG. This kid as a direct line into me & is able to send this without any worry. https://t.co/6noGvmkb4u

Nasty little fecker allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's quite disturbing that you'd even be able to come up with that amount of vitriol towards someone who seems just genuinely lovely and is loved by so many people. I hope the f*cker pays for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

gmisk wrote: »
    Horrendous.

Adult teenager is what the news said, so he has to be 18 or 19. Old enough to know it's totally unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

What's happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Someone will be along to justify the behaviour of this fella soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

Salvadoor wrote: »
    Careful now, the thread on this in the Kerry Forum (and posts in Tralee thread) were locked/deleted by an overprotective Tralee based Mod.

Some might be protective of the family.

The young lad though deserves all the exposure coming his way.

Unless the offender is mentally ill, he should be punished and even made an example of. He has since come out to apologise and veer from the 'woz hacked, soz' excuse, but not good enough. That was some hardcore racism intended to cause maximum hurt, and he knew what he was doing.

Garda statement describe him as "a male, adult teenager" so we are probably talking 18 or 19, i.e. not a young kid who didn't know any better, so fück him and his abhorrent views.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

'I was hacked'
    remorseful words indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Looks like the mod in the Kerry forum was more concerned with not prejudicing any trial. The Gardai asked for it to not be discussed on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's beyond disgusting.

Sadly there is pockets of racism in this country and even apparent on this site by times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Good enough for him! When will people realize you can’t post nasty **** on the internet and think it’s ok. It’s a long time since I’ve been in school but are kids even educated on the internet? What you write is up there forever and what you may write now could impact you at a later date!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

major bill wrote: »
    ] When will people realize you can’t post nasty **** on the internet and think it’s ok.

When the Boards.ie servers go down for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Unless the offender is mentally ill, he should be punished and even made an example of. He has since come out to apologise and veer from the 'woz hacked, soz' excuse, but not good enough. That was some hardcore racism intended to cause maximum hurt, and he knew what he was doing.

Garda statement describe him as "a male, adult teenager" so we are probably talking 18 or 19, i.e. not a young kid who didn't know any better, so fück him and his abhorrent views.
    He cant be playing with a full deck to post that under his actual name. In this day and age how can a teenager be so technologically illiterate? Not to mention his views

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

hard to understand how you can be like that against somebody because of a colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

So many of them unfortunately, little scumbag. He's in for a horrible few months at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

major bill wrote: »
    Good enough for him! When will people realize you can’t post nasty **** on the internet and think it’s ok. It’s a long time since I’ve been in school but are kids even educated on the internet? What you write is up there forever and what you may write now could impact you at a later date!

Hard to believe that some still think that the internet isn't "real life".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Was Ian Wright saying something about the Aubrey-Maturin series?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What was it he said?

Ah sure why bother including any of that at all in an opening post?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Arghus wrote: »
    Was Ian Wright saying something about the Aubrey-Maturin series?

Why didn't the OP just include this info so we could all understand.
    The books are well researched but can be somewhat tedious by the same token.

So fair play to Wrighty for calling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

topper75 wrote: »
    Why didn't the OP just include this info so we could all understand.
    The books are well researched but can be somewhat tedious by the same token.

So fair play to Wrighty for calling it.

I wouldn't have put Wrighty down as a fan of meticulously researched historical novels, but it just goes to show you.

He was dead right with his criticism though: fabulous research, but a bit of a chore to sit through.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,339 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I doubt the kid is a racist. He's just using the best possible weapons he has to get to someone, he probably went out drinking with his 3 black mates afterwards, then went home to his Asian GF.

His attitude was '' hit em where it hurts'' so that's what he did. It's pure dumbassery and childish, it's all down to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,694 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think what we need to do a little, and don’t get me wrong I agree with the sentiment by the way but when somebody does something wrong, automatically jumping towards a defense due to them ‘potentially’ having a psychological issue isn’t any good, especially for the victim. I’d like us as a society to get away from this knee jerk reaction. Unless they’ve been diagnosed as having a psychological issue that could or would account for their behavior it’s probably unhelpful and even unjust to try and account for what they’ve done. People for years have been doing the wrong thing and behaving appallingly, but just had to stand up and be accountable..

2020... if I’m over in the park and get assaulted and mugged.. “ look you don’t know what trauma that person has had to endure in their life, the stress of covid, you sitting there relaxed in a some ray bans eating a solero, you have to understand blahhh blahhh blahhhh”.

We I think are using the mental health angle now to excuse any and all misbehavior, bad acts or abuse even... hold people fûcking accountable for their actions regardless or else there WILL be people, lumbered with mental health challenges as a result of falling victim to racist abuse etc... mental health is important but the victims of abuse / crime need to be reassured... trotting out the mental health angle for every and all issues or crimes such as this we can’t accept as the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

The funniest/saddest part of all of this is what sparked the outburst...very much child’s behaviour from a young man.

What was it he said?

It seems to be fairly common knowledge so I guess there is no harm in linking to an article about it.

https://www.the42.ie/ian-wright-racist-abuse-5096642-May2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I like Ian Wright. I liked him even more for this.
    Best to watch them in the order posted

Advertisement