Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for Childrens College

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm always astounded that parents actually pay for their kids uni, tell them to go out and get a part time job to fund it ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

I have no problem paying for my kids college but then I have the money to do so, just about ,and I feel also that if parents want their kids to do well and brought them into this world then they should...
    The doom and gloom is there ok because parents like myself DO want their kids to go to college but all the huge costs just add up. We are lucky we dont have higher fees like that of the uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

LirW wrote: »
    MY grandfather is so proud on what the has achieved by education while working full time, but never tells about how the full weight of literally everything else was pushed on his wife, they have a difficult relationship, it turned him into a sick man that had a lot of anger in his life and resented his own son for not doing it exactly the same way. I'd be really careful there, a lot of people downplay the effect it had on their mental and physical health.

Some deal with that enormous pressure just fine, some absolutely don't.

True. But for younger people who don't yet have family responsibilities there really is no reason why they can't either study full time and work part time or do it the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I'm always astounded that parents actually pay for their kids uni, tell them to go out and get a part time job to fund it ffs.

You're astounded that parents would pay for their own children's education? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Why would parents not pay for/contribute to their kids education if they can afford it? Sure get them a job at 12 to pay for their way through secondary school as well sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

True. But for younger people who don't yet have family responsibilities there really is no reason why they can't either study full time and work part time or do it the other way around.

2 valid reasons would be that the university schedule would make it difficult to squeeze hours in, you're living in an area where jobs in general are rare enough (not everyone lives in Dublin or could afford to, rural areas have next to no jobs that would work with while university) or because there is only a certain number of jobs that would suit you can do while studying. It's not that there are millions of weekend jobs around.
    If you're living in Bunclody for example and go to study at IT Carlow, take the bus every day and want a weekend job local enough, it's really tough finding anything, competition on upcoming jobs is crazy with locals that want to cut down on commuting time, parents wanting to return back to work and pretty much every secondary student and uni student living somewhat close to the job.
    Not saying that young people shouldn't try but the part time job market, especially with jobs that would students is very saturated with applicants. So a bit of understanding would certainly help because not working doesn't mean not wanting to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm happy to pay. My role doesn't end just because my child turns 18. I personally think for my kid college should be her job until she gets her degree. And I can afford it so why not?

2 valid reasons would be that the university schedule would make it difficult to squeeze hours in, you're living in an area where jobs in general are rare enough (not everyone lives in Dublin or could afford to, rural areas have next to no jobs that would work with while university) or because there is only a certain number of jobs that would suit you can do while studying. It's not that there are millions of weekend jobs around.
    If you're living in Bunclody for example and go to study at IT Carlow, take the bus every day and want a weekend job local enough, it's really tough finding anything, competition on upcoming jobs is crazy with locals that want to cut down on commuting time, parents wanting to return back to work and pretty much every secondary student and uni student living somewhat close to the job.
    Not saying that young people shouldn't try but the part time job market, especially with jobs that would students is very saturated with applicants. So a bit of understanding would certainly help because not working doesn't mean not wanting to work.

My original post was in answer to someone who felt students wouldn't have the capacity to both study and work part time and it would affect the quality of their degree. I never said that students didn't want to work, so please don't put words into my mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

As someone stuck in the middle of this - 2 down, 2 to go - it really is difficult.

As said above, long term planning is the answer, putting the children's allowance away is a good start.

Life goes on, though, and for a variety of reasons, you may not have the savings.
    Including accommodation, the figure of 10K per year is about right. If living at home you could reduce that by 3K or so - assuming there is little enough travel involved.

Personally, I'm in favour of getting the little darlings out of the house, it makes your life easier and is a great learning experience - cooking, cleaning and just being responsible for yourself - is an important life lesson. Also, once they're gone, they're gone which should be the goal.

Some I know do the daily commute via bus (mad and expensive) or drive but I wouldn't be happy with this. You don't know the meaning of fear until you have sat up in bed at 3am waiting for the little poppets to come home - especially when they're driving or being driven. I'm pretty sure it's a false economy too.

One thing to be careful about is the 'You did it for her, you must do it for me' syndrome. If the first one gets something, then the others can reasonably expect to be treated the same. This can be a problem if you run out of money with the later ones. For example, we had a 'fund' of about 60K but it's pretty much gone after the first two, the others have to be paid for out of current earnings. We are foregoing holidays, driving sh*tbox cars, etc. It's just about doable.

They should work a little through college. Certainly pay for their own beer, holidays, etc. To me, it's unreasonable to expect them to pay for fees/accommodation but everyone is different so no judging.

The Credit Union is a good source of cheap(ish) money.

Oh and if you want to see me explode, just mention the work 'postgraduate':mad:

• Advertisement

Not entirely true, a college degree is the new LC, your chances to get a good job are so much higher with a degree. The importance of a degree nowadays is different than it was years ago.

Often not even adults can afford living costs in the capitals, that's pretty much plastered all over the news every day of the week. The chances to get a job is higher in the capital, so are the living costs and your wage is not going to cover all of your needs regarding fees, rent, utilities. Especially when purpose built student accommodation is not affordable for the average student.
    When you go somewhere with cheaper living costs you'll have huge difficulties finding a job that suits your schedule.

So that whole comment seems a bit high-horsed, there is a housing crisis going on and you'll only having an easy time when you can stay living with your parents and work. Otherwise you need a top-up of some way, either from the parents or loans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

I thought that the SUSI grant covering college fees was available for anyone going to third level for the first time? Is this not the case? I know that when I went to college I could get the fees paid through SUSI but I didn't qualify for the monthly maintenance grant.

My original post was in answer to someone who felt students wouldn't have the capacity to both study and work part time and it would affect the quality of their degree. I never said that students didn't want to work, so please don't put words into my mouth.

Never wanted to put anything into your mouth.
    But anyway, when you see the vast amounts of posts even here on boards of students coping badly with workload of university and working, it's really sad. University is not a job where you go home at 5 and that's it, you have homework, studying to do and if you don't cut it you'll repeat and this costs even more.
    There are people coping just fine with it and some really don't and not working will of course make it easier for many to full-time focus on their studies.

It's the same in the job world really, some people have a high stress resistance, some don't. Not everyone is the same and with the current problems in this country regarding astronomical accommodation cost even full time workers struggle to make it by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

My company wouldn't hire someone without a degree, that's their policy
    That's the point though, in many cases companies prefer a degree and less job experience than someone with a bit more experience because they do have a degree. Depending on the field you can't even enter it without a degree and it's more likely you'll end in more casual jobs without a degree.
    When I was starting to job hunt here holding 2 different diplomas and a few years job experience in a field I found it hard getting even an interview for a job that was over min wage call center level. I got told I should think of doing a degree to higher my chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I only wish a part time job would fund college !

Of course parents educate their children, why wouldn't they ?

Never wanted to put anything into your mouth.
    But anyway, when you see the vast amounts of posts even here on boards of students coping badly with workload of university and working, it's really sad. University is not a job where you go home at 5 and that's it, you have homework, studying to do and if you don't cut it you'll repeat and this costs even more.
    There are people coping just fine with it and some really don't and not working will of course make it easier for many to full-time focus on their studies.

It's the same in the job world really, some people have a high stress resistance, some don't. Not everyone is the same and with the current problems in this country regarding astronomical accommodation cost even full time workers struggle to make it by.

I suppose it depends on the course, really. Some nowadays are really hands on, lots of projects, assignments, continual assessments, presentations etc. In that case yes, I agree, it would not be possible to do a course like that and also hold down a busy part time job.

But some are a few hours of lectures a week with intermittent assignments and leave students with a lot of free time. Of course some of that time is spent studying but a lot is spent arsing around and, in that case, I think if part time jobs were available it would be possible for students to combine both. For instance, a friend of mine has a daughter in Trinity and there is only one day where she has lectures before 4pm. In that scenario a part time job in a shop or café in town would be possible.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

That's true and it's unfortunate really. There are so many careers where doing an apprenticeship or going in at the bottom rung and learning on the job would be far more useful than sitting in a lecture hall learning the theory behind the job. I think a lot of useless third level courses have been invented since University fees were abolished to try and lure more and more young people into college thereby earning the College lots of money in registration fees etc. Private colleges have also got in on the act, offering qualifications in this, that and the other to students who really aren't suited to third level education and would do much better and be happier doing hands on training.

I suppose it depends on the course, really. Some nowadays are really hands on, lots of projects, assignments, continual assessments, presentations etc. In that case yes, I agree, it would not be possible to do a course like that and also hold down a busy part time job.

But some are a few hours of lectures a week with intermittent assignments and leave students with a lot of free time. Of course some of that time is spent studying but a lot is spent arsing around and, in that case, I think if part time jobs were available it would be possible for students to combine both. For instance, a friend of mine has a daughter in Trinity and there is only one day where she has lectures before 4pm. In that scenario a part time job in a shop or café in town would be possible.

Of course that is very true. I made the experience, the higher paying the field is, the more demanding the schedule is. Like anything medical related has crazy hours and it's difficult holding a part-time job down. Or any job lab related or in IT where in some courses you depend a lot on group projects.
    Then there are other degrees that have different schedules and would allow you loads of time.
    I had the struggle myself having 4,5 days with lectures and classes spread all over the day with breaks of 2 hours or so in between and even though you start out early morning and only have 3 classes to attend to you're done at 5 in the evening because of breaks in between. That made my job schedule incredibly annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

EdEd wrote: »
    I thought that the SUSI grant covering college fees was available for anyone going to third level for the first time? Is this not the case? I know that when I went to college I could get the fees paid through SUSI but I didn't qualify for the monthly maintenance grant.

Nope. Only available to families below the income threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Get them working every weekend and paying their way?

They could save 80%-90% of all earnings. It adds up if they are hard working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

From those of you whose children are currently in college, what are the greatest expenses - I know registration is c€3000, accommodation costs are horrendous but are the day to day costs a real drain too - travel costs/food/ social life/anything else? Children here will definitely have to work to fund their social life ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I suggest to anyone that has young kids to start saving now. And if you have 10 or more years to do it, invest a monthly amount.
    You're looking at 30k per child for 3 years so divide 30k by number of years and thats how much you should be putting away if you want to fund it fully.
    5 years, 6k a year or 500 a month
    10 years, 250 a month
    18 years, about 130 a month or so.
    Children's allowance happens to be 140 a month, just saying......

Don't leave money in deposit accounts for a long period. There are loads of ways to do this, and usually starts with getting an advisor you trust has your interests at heart. Usually a referral from friends.
    There isn't a well diversified investment fund in this country that hasn't made good money in any 10 year period.

Thinking you're going to be magically wealthier when it's only 2 or 3 years out is a fallacy and will put huge pressure on you.

If you want to part fund it yourself and part fund it by students getting part time jobs, that's fine too. In fact I think its the best way. Parents pay for necessities, students pay for extra curricular like drinking and partying!

My dad had a fund built up for us but I worked full weeks when I was off for summers, easter, mid terms etc too so I always had my own discretionary money to act the maggot with. He paid the fees though. And always threw me a few quid.

My sister never went so he gave her a few quid towards a house deposit.

All this came from a bit of saving...although it was cheaper then than it is now I will admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I can see this being unpopular but we've just transfered the children's allowance to a separate account since the start and will do until they're 18, so will just use that towards the costs.

On the other hand, I'll be getting gouged to pieces for stuff like property tax, USC and various monopoly service charges for the rest of my working life so it evens out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I can see this being unpopular but we've just transfered the children's allowance to a separate account since the start and will do until they're 18, so will just use that towards the costs.

On the other hand, I'll be getting gouged to pieces for stuff like property tax, USC and various monopoly service charges for the rest of my working life so it evens out.

Is it in a growth account or deposit account. Make sure you get some return on your money over that timeframe or else you'll be losing out to inflation.

I suggest to anyone that has young kids to start saving now. And if you have 10 or more years to do it, invest a monthly amount.
    You're looking at 30k per child for 3 years so divide 30k by number of years and thats how much you should be putting away if you want to fund it fully.
    5 years, 6k a year or 500 a month
    10 years, 250 a month
    18 years, about 130 a month or so.
    Children's allowance happens to be 140 a month, just saying......

I'd be interested though how likely it is that the price for third level stays "only" 30k over the next decade?
    I'm somewhat worried that the costs for 3rd level might double in such a time-frame because some american model gets adapted in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I'd be interested though how likely it is that the price for third level stays "only" 30k over the next decade?
    I'm somewhat worried that the costs for 3rd level might double in such a time-frame because some american model gets adapted in the meantime.

Well in that case you wouldn't have to save anything. Your child would just take out a college loan and repay it when they start working themselves.

The current system in Ireland results in children from 'squeezed middle' families struggling to afford college as they are above the threshold for grants. If we moved to a student loan system it would mean everyone in the country has an equal opportunity to get to college.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Well in that case you wouldn't have to save anything. Your child would just take out a college loan and repay it when they start working themselves.

The current system in Ireland results in children from 'squeezed middle' families struggling to afford college as they are above the threshold for grants. If we moved to a student loan system it would mean everyone in the country has an equal opportunity to get to college.

The other thing would be how many jobs are going to be obsolete in a similar time frame and there are simply not enough jobs anymore for people coming fresh out of third-level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That's true and it's unfortunate really. There are so many careers where doing an apprenticeship or going in at the bottom rung and learning on the job would be far more useful than sitting in a lecture hall learning the theory behind the job. I think a lot of useless third level courses have been invented since University fees were abolished to try and lure more and more young people into college thereby earning the College lots of money in registration fees etc. Private colleges have also got in on the act, offering qualifications in this, that and the other to students who really aren't suited to third level education and would do much better and be happier doing hands on training.

This has been my awareness of the situation here. A status symbol too? One of my landlords had 4 grown boys, all doing course after course and not a job in sight. Too "educated" to help Dad on the farm he said.

Advertisement