Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos RIP thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

Following Government guidance, from Friday 8 January 2021, our Republic of Ireland Argos stores will be temporarily closed until we are advised otherwise.

We have extended our returns policy. Any purchases made from 18 October 2020 can be returned up to 30 days from the re-opening of non-essential retail in your area.

https://www.argos.ie/static/ArgosPromo3/includeName/service-disruptions.htm&mvt=ar:features:faq:updates?desktopSiteActive=true

Does anyone know for sure if they're already closed or closing this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

twinex wrote: »

From their website it looks like they’re closed.

Following Government guidance, our stores in the Republic of Ireland are temporarily closed.

https://www.argos.ie/static/ArgosPromo3/includeName/delivery-to-your-doorstep.htm?desktopSiteActive=true&mvt=HP1_main1

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ITV2

twinex wrote: »

The store in Dun Laoghaire was closed this morning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ITV2 wrote: »
    The store in Dun Laoghaire was closed this morning.

Liffey Valley was closed and shuttered at lunchtime.
    Spent a nice half an hour in Halfords instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

Argos have new guidelines up.
    https://www.argos.ie/static/ArgosPromo3/includeName/service-disruptions.htm?mvt=HP1_main1

In line with government regulation, our Republic of Ireland Argos stores are open for Click & Collect of essential items only.

&

https://www.argos.ie/static/ArgosPromo3/includeName/delivery-to-your-doorstep.htm&mvt=HP1_main2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Be nice to know what an 'essential' item is :confused:

degsie wrote: »

A PS4 controller seems be essential- and my 10 year old is relieved to have a new one this evening, his old one had stopped charging.........

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

A PS4 controller seems be essential- and my 10 year old is relieved to have a new one this evening, his old one had stopped charging.........

None seem to be available to reserve now so maybe they had to remove after , I stand to be corrected tho

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

degsie wrote: »

So is a fire tablet- then again Harvey Norman are selling most stuff as normal, I noticed Currys had their gaming section cornered off on store - pretty much everything else was avaliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭jules86

I have my son doing homework on a fire tablet,you can access Microsoft teams on the PlayStation and xbox so they are kind of essential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭djo789

Argos open for collection of a reduced range of essential products Just got this email

In line with Government regulations, our stores are now open for the collection of a reduced range of essential products. These products must be ordered online at argos.ie and then paid for and collected in store. Please ensure you check our opening hours here before you travel.

The safety of our customers and colleagues is paramount. We have made the necessary changes to continue to trade safely whilst offering the best service to our customers. All customers will need to wear a face mask and use the hand sanitiser provided.

Our full range of products* is still available for home delivery, so for your safety and that of our colleagues, please ensure you use our home delivery service for all but emergency needs.

For larger, 2-man deliveries, our friendly drivers will contact you on the day to discuss delivering your order safely. If you're self-isolating, please let us know so we can rearrange your delivery date.

Delivery costs : €4.95 for small items and €24.95 for large items across the Republic of Ireland

P.s. I dont work for Argos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

djo789 wrote: »
    Argos open for collection of a reduced range of essential products Just got this email

In line with Government regulations, our stores are now open for the collection of a reduced range of essential products. These products must be ordered online at argos.ie and then paid for and collected in store. Please ensure you check our opening hours here before you travel.

The safety of our customers and colleagues is paramount. We have made the necessary changes to continue to trade safely whilst offering the best service to our customers. All customers will need to wear a face mask and use the hand sanitiser provided.

Our full range of products* is still available for home delivery, so for your safety and that of our colleagues, please ensure you use our home delivery service for all but emergency needs.

For larger, 2-man deliveries, our friendly drivers will contact you on the day to discuss delivering your order safely. If you're self-isolating, please let us know so we can rearrange your delivery date.

Delivery costs : €4.95 for small items and €24.95 for large items across the Republic of Ireland

P.s. I dont work for Argos

Yes I got essential items the other day in argos...sd card and wifi extender!

Ordering online means orders come from the UK and the delays that brings?

Luckily I have a store near by.

physioman wrote: »
    Yes I got essential items the other day in argos...sd card and wifi extender!

I got a PS4 controller, a HDMI cable, a Wahl hair trimmer and a Bosch kettle.

Haven't actually come across anything that you can't buy (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

can you still reserve online and collect at the store?.

bassy wrote: »

Yes but essential items only.

Seems they have restricted gaming stuff (among others) and the like now.

bassy wrote: »

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Ordered an item last week which was due in on Sunday, they said I'd get a text when it's in stock.

Yet to receive a text, has this worked for others before?

Ordered an item last week which was due in on Sunday, they said I'd get a text when it's in stock.

Yet to receive a text, has this worked for others before?

It's for stock they don't have in stock in store but can quickly source from the UK and quickly pick and load onto scheduled deliveries

Once its in store you will receive a text

The issue now is brexit and deliveries are impacted.

It will arrive in but delayed , you can ring the store you reserved it from and they should be able to give update.

I've had more than one occasion when I didn't get the text, but I still went into the store and it was ready for collection.

Most of the time you would receive the text, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭jacool

I got loads of calls to organise the delivery and requests to ring them back.
    This turned into emails saying that the item was delayed in transport.
    Finally an email to say that the sale was cancelled and I'd get my money back.

• corsav6 wrote: »
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7187782.htm

HP V150w USB 2.0 Flash Drive - 64GB - €8.49

Product code: 718/7782

Good price for a 64gb USB stick, can't find it cheaper anywhere online, currently £16 on Amazon.

That's a very old and slow USB drive (and only USB 2.0).

I'd recommend getting this USB 3.0 drive for ~€6 instead and use the savings towards getting Prime for a month if you don't already have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes but essential items only.

Seems they have restricted gaming stuff (among others) and the like now.

Think their service has fallen off a cliff tbh, they're making some strange calls about what's essential and not - eg a guitar is considered non-essential but earphones are fine - great unless your child happens to be learning music - guitar in particular and need to upsize etc.

Yes it's a moan but still think some of their decisions are a bit bizzare, back to Amazon for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

bladespin wrote: »
    Think their service has fallen off a cliff tbh, they're making some strange calls about what's essential and not - eg a guitar is considered non-essential but earphones are fine - great unless your child happens to be learning music - guitar in particular and need to upsize etc.

Yes it's a moan but still think some of their decisions are a bit bizzare, back to Amazon for me.

Headphones can be required for many people who work from home. Guitars wouldn't.

Not saying that explains everything, but I'm assuming in the items you stated that's the reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Quazzie wrote: »
    Headphones can be required for many people who work from home. Guitars wouldn't.

Not saying that explains everything, but I'm assuming in the items you stated that's the reasoning.

I understand that, but there's no reasoning with it, I can call or email the local shop and explain the need is essential but Argos is a brick wall - both items could be described as either essential or non essential depending on how you look at it.

Btw - music student working from home - just incase it wasn't clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭obi604

Looking at some fitness stuff on Argos for weeks now.
    Every time I check anything it has status “currently out of stock” or “home delivery not available”

I thought this was down to the fact that fitness stuff was in high demand.

But then I had a gander at other stuff and seems nothing is available.

Has anybody actually bought stuff of Argos.ie in the last few weeks?

obi604 wrote: »
    Every time I check anything it has status “currently out of stock” or “home delivery not available”

Fitness isn't deemed essential, neither I or Argos are saying that it's the conditions of what they can sell or not sell. If they were doing click and collect for weights etc other sports stores would argue why can't they do click and collect

As for delivery they are just doing large items for delivery I'd imagine because of brexit and costs

Canon Pixma printer
    Memory sticks
    Some Switch games
    2 * PS4 controllers
    Blutack

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭holly8

I can buy a digital photo frame in Argos but I cant buy a regular photo frame ... essential versus non-essential!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭FluffPiece

holly8 wrote: »
    I can buy a digital photo frame in Argos but I cant buy a regular photo frame ... essential versus non-essential!

Likely an oversight than intentional, there's probably a few things like that. It's probably listed under office items somewhere in the system and slipped through.

Advertisement