Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard warriors

• 16-02-2020 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

I was watching the Tommy tiernan show last night and Roddy Doyle, the writer was on. I was doing jobs and the TV was on in the background but I caught some of what he said. Something about finding Facebook or the messagener and he opened up messagener to find thousands of messages. He said a lot of were lovely, positive messages and beautiful and supportive messages. He also said there were other messages that were bad messages and then there were other messages that were down right crazy bad.

Then this weekend, there was news about Caroline Flack and she received some online bullying and abuse too.

I've been on the receiving end of an ex blinded with hatred and got similar abuse.

Keyboard warriors - do they feel great about themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭20/20

Probably do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

20/20 wrote: »
    Probably do.

I cant imagine they feel particularly good about themselves or that they live very happy or fulfilling lives. Most of them sound like armchair curmudgeons.

Used to be a bit of a one myself for a spell, was very worried about the carbon footprint and pollution and what have you long before Greeta (over 6 years ago) but then decided to stop being miserable and got myself a punt with a nice filthy 2 stroke engine on the back and a VRS Daysul. Lifted me out of depression so it did. Keyboard warring is rarely a good use of ones time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Sound more like trolls than keyboard warrors. Keyboard warrior is more like the fella who offers everyone outside - from the safety of his living room.

But like, yer one the flack one..if you're courting the media when it suits you, and you're also a domestic abuser, is that not to be kind of expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Wipe away the stereotype of the online troll being a socially redundant mammys boy living in his parents basement, expressing his rage against an unfair world out on his keyboard, because we all know trolls can rage from the aforementioned right through to respectable middle class family men or women.

However, what they all have in common is a distinct trait of cowardice. I would wager than close to 100% of the people who send abusive and nasty, bullying messages to or about someone else wouldn't have the courage to actually say that to their face or wouldn't even stay in the same room if they found out their victim was nearby. Maybe a few stray people might actually go up and be abusive, these people being unstable mentally and not concerned about the thumping they will get, but in general, you wouldn't be as cruel and graphic to a real, breathing human being when they are standing in front of you looking right at you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Its sad to say but most people are a**holes in this world. The internet just gives them a platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,395 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not being on Facebook, Twitter etc. I find the concept strange and alien compared to people I have met in real life. I saw it here on Boards last night in a thread on the old V P IRA. People seem to use online sources to goad others or to express opinions that they would never utter face to face. And not being a proper conversation they can ignore the points that don't suit them, nit-pick certain points, and state things as fact when they are patently untrue. Unfortunately, I fear that over time their blunt manner, insulting, goading and aggressiveness will be conceived by some to be normal and will find it's way into the 'real world'. Then society may have a real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sadly most can be fully functioning adults with 9-5 jobs that just let themselves go online once they sign in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

It's best to be off social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Sadly most can be fully functioning adults with 9-5 jobs that just let themselves go online once they sign in.
    Dead right. There's some weirdos out there.
    https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/staring-down-internet-trolls-my-disturbing-cat-and-mouse-game-20170616-gwsmld.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

There’s one in the “Etiquette” thread at the moment, “throwing it about” trying to get a rise out of, some of, the more esteemed posters in there.

Pretty sad, really.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

There’s one in the “Etiquette” thread at the moment, “throwing it about” trying to get a rise out of, some of, the more esteemed posters in there.

Pretty sad, really.
    I'd say ye'll live. ;)

The OP is talking about much much nastier, more personal stuff.

Mods are needed, even if some can be a bit zealous here at times (particularly of late) but if they weren't a thing, this place risks being like The Journal comments or Facebook, Twitter, YouTube. The absolute dregs.

A small few here but it's mostly grand - definitely the best place to go for online discussion imo. Even Current Affairs is nowhere near as bad as the above ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Zealous! It's downright authoritarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Thing about this flack one right I seriously had no idea who she was. And then everyone’s like did you hear about flack one, isn’t it awful this that n the other and then I looked online and saw the litany of boyfriends she’d been through -

as a presenter of love island; no less and then it rang a bell ~ hang on; it’s that woman who was goin after the kid in the boy band! And then I saw how many views even the thread on here had garnered. In like no time at all and then I realised fuuuuck it must be a big deal......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Thing about this flack one right I seriously had no idea who she was. And then everyone’s like did you hear about flack one, isn’t it awful this that n the other and then I looked online and saw the litany of boyfriends she’d been through -

as a presenter of love island; no less and then it rang a bell ~ hang on; it’s that woman who was goin after the kid in the boy band! And then I saw how many views even the thread on here had garnered. In like no time at all and then I realised fuuuuck it must be a big deal......

You're thinking of the older chick that groomed Louis Tompkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

You're thinking of the older chick that groomed Louis Tompkins.

There was another one? Damn it’s like a reversal of those men that idolise the teenyboppers in Japan. Weird sh!t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

Bobblehats wrote: »
    There was another one? Damn it’s like a reversal of those men that idolise the teenyboppers in Japan. Weird sh!t

Yeah and that's before you get into all the occult stuff behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

I’m not being one bit flippant here, but if keyboard warriors upset people, they should turn off the screens and social media. It’s not what people say that affects us, rather our reaction to it. Feck them, people really need to learn to be happy in their own selves than seeking affirmation or affection from online nobodies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The Keyboard Warrior is a specimen to be pitied quite frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ladybird18

I am of the opinion would you say it to their face.
    If you would grand.
    If you wouldnt dont type it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

screamer wrote: »
    I’m not being one bit flippant here, but if keyboard warriors upset people, they should turn off the screens and social media. It’s not what people say that affects us, rather our reaction to it. Feck them, people really need to learn to be happy in their own selves than seeking affirmation or affection from online nobodies

This is far too simplistic. When someone is on the receiving end of a campaign of hatred and disdain, not being on social media is not going to fix it. It might help in some way but when someone is determined to dish their dirt and filth out to the world, they will get a way. Social media or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

owlbethere wrote: »
    I was watching the Tommy tiernan show last night and Roddy Doyle, the writer was on. I was doing jobs and the TV was on in the background but I caught some of what he said. Something about finding Facebook or the messagener and he opened up messagener to find thousands of messages. He said a lot of were lovely, positive messages and beautiful and supportive messages. He also said there were other messages that were bad messages and then there were other messages that were down right crazy bad.

Then this weekend, there was news about Caroline Flack and she received some online bullying and abuse too.

I've been on the receiving end of an ex blinded with hatred and got similar abuse.

Keyboard warriors - do they feel great about themselves?

So You are having a whinge about keyboard warriors on a keyboard warrior site?. :rolleyes:

Advertisement