Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
07-07-2019, 03:48   #301
blergh
Registered User
 
blergh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 3,647
Obviously humans can thrive with meat or without meat. Arguing that either is false is silly.

Last edited by blergh; 07-07-2019 at 10:30.
blergh is online now  
Advertisement
07-07-2019, 08:37   #302
fergus1001
Registered User
 
fergus1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,332
"Vegans are wrong"

Change my mind
fergus1001 is offline  
07-07-2019, 09:39   #303
gozunda
Registered User
 
gozunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus1001 View Post
"Vegans are wrong"

Change my mind
Ah now we already had that on another thread ...


Last edited by gozunda; 07-07-2019 at 11:50.
gozunda is offline  
07-07-2019, 09:59   #304
jackboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaizes View Post
We don’t or at least didn’t educate children ( from primary school level upwards ) enough about the eco system and wildlife. How many kids could name ten or fifteen birds or name wildlife particular to Ireland? Few I’d say.
Probably less than 10% children could identify more than 10 native Irish birds. How are these children expected to protect wildlife or the environment in the future. When it comes down to it, they won’t.

The saddest thing is that most young children are interested in learning about wildlife, if only they had someone to take them outside and show them. It’s not an urban vs rural thing either. I know many farmers that have no interest or respect for nature, who teach their children nothing.
jackboy is online now  
(2) thanks from:
07-07-2019, 10:32   #305
Buford T. Justice VI
Category Moderator
 
Buford T. Justice VI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 17,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheasant tail View Post
So Coillte released pine marten beside me, they eat pheasants, which are game, which people release for shooting, should they be vermin?

Deer beside me eat grass, should they be defined as vermin? How dare they eat grass like.

What about all our native predatory birds that are seemingly a threat to livestock, should they be classed as vermin? Why are they protected?

A game species such as salmon, dolphins and seals eat them. Should they be vermin? They eat our game species such as salmon. How dare they!!! Also, our native and protected otter eats our salmon and trout, should we cull them? If it suits us, like, why not..

What an amazing job we have done at culling badgers by the way, we are really winning that war on TB ��

So how do we class what is vermin and what is not?
Seems the class is very suited to our own selfish agenda to justify needless killing, maybe you can enlighten me though!
That would class them as vermin. It costs about 12c/kg to grow grass and a mature deer could eat up to 10kg grass/day. Now, that eaten grass has to be replaced with purchase feed at approx 30c/kg so that will have to be paid for as well.

When you have your own grass, you can do what you wish with it but my grass is there for my stock. If you want deer eating my grass then pay the replacement cost of that grass.
Buford T. Justice VI is offline  
Advertisement
07-07-2019, 11:48   #306
gozunda
Registered User
 
gozunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackboy View Post
Probably less than 10% children could identify more than 10 native Irish birds. How are these children expected to protect wildlife or the environment in the future. When it comes down to it, they won’t.

The saddest thing is that most young children are interested in learning about wildlife, if only they had someone to take them outside and show them. It’s not an urban vs rural thing either.
I know many farmers that have no interest or respect for nature, who teach their children nothing.
I wouldn't agree there tbh. Of the kids from farming families I know most would have an interest in wildlife. When you grow up surrounded by fields and trees - it's hard not to absorb and be interested in those things. The kids may not be experts but the ones I know could tell you more about trees, vegetation and the more common wild animals compared to some of their counterparths in urban areas.
gozunda is offline  
Thanks from:
07-07-2019, 11:49   #307
rob316
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,300
There's a food chain respect it. Vegans are the by product of an increasingly whingey and PC society.
rob316 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
07-07-2019, 12:21   #308
jackboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
I wouldn't agree there tbh. Of the kids from farming families I know most would have an interest in wildlife. When you grow up surrounded by fields and trees - it's hard not to absorb and be interested in those things. The kids may not be experts but the ones I know could tell you more about trees, vegetation and the more common wild animals compared to some of their counterparths in urban areas.
As far as I can see it is more related to the size of the farm. The bigger farms are little more than green deserts where every last square meter is utilized. The smaller farms operated by part time or hobby farmers are more of a haven for wildlife. Hard to blame the big farmers though, most of them are very busy trying to keep the business going.
jackboy is online now  
Thanks from:
07-07-2019, 13:03   #309
rob316
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
I wouldn't agree there tbh. Of the kids from farming families I know most would have an interest in wildlife. When you grow up surrounded by fields and trees - it's hard not to absorb and be interested in those things. The kids may not be experts but the ones I know could tell you more about trees, vegetation and the more common wild animals compared to some of their counterparths in urban areas.
Nah half my family are farmers and all they care about are tractors and the milk quota
rob316 is offline  
Advertisement
07-07-2019, 13:17   #310
Buford T. Justice VI
Category Moderator
 
Buford T. Justice VI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 17,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackboy View Post
As far as I can see it is more related to the size of the farm. The bigger farms are little more than green deserts where every last square meter is utilized. The smaller farms operated by part time or hobby farmers are more of a haven for wildlife. Hard to blame the big farmers though, most of them are very busy trying to keep the business going.
That's because if there is any encroachment into the fields by hedges or any covers of non agricultural species in any fields, the farmers are fined for allowing that natural cover to grow.

But get this! They will allow you to grow artificial 'natural' covers and pay you for them but only on designated areas.

You couldn't make this stuff up
Buford T. Justice VI is offline  
(2) thanks from:
07-07-2019, 13:25   #311
Uncharted
Registered User
 
Uncharted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 3,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 View Post
There's a food chain respect it. Vegans are the by product of an increasingly whingey and PC society.
This x 1000.

It's like Chris Rock said ...... We've so much fcukin food on the planet,people can choose what to be ' allergic ' to



I'll bet nobody in Sierra Leone is lactose intolerant.
Uncharted is offline  
(2) thanks from:
07-07-2019, 14:05   #312
auspicious
Registered User
 
auspicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 962
After 5 days and 26 pages of replies I'm sure the OP has had some questions answered by now. Even though much of it has not been addressed and we'll ignore the contradiction in it, does the OP care to share her current knowledge as to why people think 'animals' have feelings?
auspicious is offline  
07-07-2019, 14:26   #313
Greyfox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncharted View Post
It's like Chris Rock said ...... We've so much fcukin food on the planet,people can choose what to be ' allergic ' to
That's due to the western world producing far more food than it needs. Plenty of those chickens that have a crap life before there death end up in the bin anyway.
Greyfox is offline  
07-07-2019, 15:51   #314
gozunda
Registered User
 
gozunda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 View Post
Nah half my family are farmers and all they care about are tractors and the milk quota
All the kids care about 'milk quotas'? Really never knew that. You do knew that the old quota system is gone yeah? I think you might be imagining things there tbh ...
gozunda is offline  
Thanks from:
10-07-2019, 09:26   #315
dodderangler
Registered User
 
dodderangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by klopparama View Post
You can’t 100% guarantee anything.

By claiming you can you’re sounding like one of those Americans you’re talking about.

‘I won’t shoot unless it’s going to die on the spot’

Nostradamus is it ?

‘And they always drop’

John Rambo is it ?
I can guarantee it. I’ve been shooting since childhood. I learned from my mistakes at a young age and was brought up proper in hunting. I won’t shoot unless it’s safe and guarantee to be a kill shot.
Now if you can’t understand that then that’s your problem not mine
dodderangler is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet