Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent pressure zones beyond 2019

• 29-03-2019 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I tried to use the search function to find info on the above but couldn't find anything.

My question is will the RPZ cap of 4% be continued beyond the 3 years it was initially intended?

Edit: I posted in the wrong forum could a mod move to a more appropriate forum please

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread Moved to main A & P forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

Minister for housing is on record stating he will “strengthen RPZ” rules. Very vague but one can assume, it will be lengthen at the detrement of both renters and ll. I know that might be a biased logic since i am a ll but without incentives for ll and you keep hitting us with stuff. More will leave thus decreasing supply and increasing costs for renters. Even on the statement he made, he noted that rent is decreasing but when you look into it, it decreased by 13e per annum so basically the price of 2 big macs over the course of an entire year. Thats some improvement!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

According to the legislation it cannot be extended past 3 years. They will have to bring in new law.
    I suspect they want to bring in more restrictions on landlords about selling property as a reason to evict and any other reason too.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    According to the legislation it cannot be extended past 3 years. They will have to bring in new law.
    I suspect they want to bring in more restrictions on landlords about selling property as a reason to evict and any other reason too.

I read on RTE over past few days that Eoghan said he cant force ll to leave tenants in situ while selling as it would devalue the property. Cant find exact quote though.

Who knows what will happen though as it could be a knee jerk reaction.

Fol20:
    He did say that and it is very accurate. Him saying means it was on the agenda. If they brought it in I know I would move into my own rented properties and then sell them as ppr.

The UN report is also pretty damaging to keeping the REITs going. There is a lot more to the housing crisis than many consider.

• Advertisement

Fol20:
    He did say that and it is very accurate. Him saying means it was on the agenda. If they brought it in I know I would move into my own rented properties and then sell them as ppr.

The UN report is also pretty damaging to keeping the REITs going. There is a lot more to the housing crisis than many consider.

Even if you sell, its pro rata if you have any capital gains due.

Yea im not sure what to make of the UN report. On the one side, it makes sense as they have an unfair advantage of small time ll. On the other end, if the the government do a 360 on REIT's they may leave the market or stop investing. I would like to see them incur some taxes as the government will further shoot themselves in the foot by forcing ll that pay 50pc on rental profit while they pay nothing.

On an unrelated side note about the report is if the EU force Ireland to change OUR tax laws. It should be decided in house what we want to charge. Its a major incentive for foreign investment and i want this to continue without foreign EU orders. If that was the case, i would not feel easy knowing Germany and France have more control over smaller nations like ourself.

Fol20:
    The objective wouldn't be to avoid capital gains but to be able to sell property without tenants. As said 20-30% reduction of price with sitting tenants is the effect on value.
    They will have problems closing the need for personal use over anything else. I can see them restricting are removing the grounds for people to be given notice but not the personal use clause.

Fol20:
    The objective wouldn't be to avoid capital gains but to be able to sell property without tenants. As said 20-30% reduction of price with sitting tenants is the effect on value.
    They will have problems closing the need for personal use over anything else. I can see them restricting are removing the grounds for people to be given notice but not the personal use clause.

Ah good point, I wasnt thinking about it from that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

tolow wrote: »
    I tried to use the search function to find info on the above but couldn't find anything.

My question is will the RPZ cap of 4% be continued beyond the 3 years it was initially intended?

Edit: I posted in the wrong forum could a mod move to a more appropriate forum please
    You should search better the forum. I posted in January in the new Residential Amendment Bill, that the minister of housing will propose new legislation before the end of 2019 to renew RPZ in a way that there will be no immediate increases to market values.

Advertisement