Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-02-2020, 15:17   #1786
Fritzbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzbox View Post
Have you got a link?
Found these:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristyk...afety-reports/
https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/20...37-max/584791/

Reports relating to the MCAS system it seems.
Advertisement
17-02-2020, 08:05   #1787
TomSweeney

So when should this plane be back flying ?
17-02-2020, 09:40   #1788
Tenzor07

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSweeney View Post
So when should this plane be back flying ?
Probably September: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/21/b...g-737-max.html
Thanks from:
17-02-2020, 20:11   #1789
TomSweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzor07 View Post

June/July according to that ...

damn it, I have a Norwegian air flight booked .... really hope it's not the Max..
17-02-2020, 21:15   #1790
ZX7R

Quote:

damn it, I have a Norwegian air flight booked .... really hope it's not the Max..
I find you post and many other posts quite funny.
It will probably be the safest plane in the world once it's certified by everyone
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-02-2020, 21:44   #1791
Shedite27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX7R View Post
It will probably be the safest plane in the world once it's certified by everyone
Flying is the safest mode of transport full stop.
There's still some people who are nervous about it.

There's no amount of stats that will give some people the confidence
(2) thanks from:
17-02-2020, 21:46   #1792
TomSweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX7R View Post

I know this and logically I can accept it, but these things aren't rational ..
Thanks from:
17-02-2020, 22:30   #1793
ZX7R

Quote:
I know this and logically I can accept it, but these things aren't rational ..
I understand quite well I would not be the most comfortable flying myself, but my mind will be at ease when it's certified by every air authority.
Thanks from:
18-02-2020, 09:25   #1794
Tenzor07

Quote:

Even if it's July that the FAA certify it, then it has to go to all the other authorities to certify.
And for example, Ryanair won't add any new aircraft to the fleet during peak season...

So no matter what it could be at least October 2020 before they're added to commercial schedules..
Advertisement
18-02-2020, 11:16   #1795
Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzor07 View Post
Even if it's July that the FAA certify it, then it has to go to all the other authorities to certify.
And for example, Ryanair won't add any new aircraft to the fleet during peak season...

So no matter what it could be at least October 2020 before they're added to commercial schedules..
Seeing the photos of the parked MAX'es makes me wonder about one practical issue.

Assuming that one day this year the MAX gets the green light from the regulators, I wonder if there would be a resulting scramble to get ferry flights sorted, which in turn would cause a huge jump in traffic (and possibly delays).

I'm kind of imagining large flying wings of MAX aircraft crossing the Atlantic to get to their bases. (I know that's probably not how it would work...it's just how my imagination works )

Last edited by Rawr; 18-02-2020 at 11:20.
18-02-2020, 11:26   #1796
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawr View Post
Seeing the photos of the parked MAX'es makes me wonder about one practical issue.

Assuming that one day this year the MAX gets the green light from the regulators, I wonder if there would be a resulting scramble to get ferry flights sorted, which in turn would cause a huge jump in traffic (and possibly delays).

I'm kind of imagining large flying wings of MAX aircraft crossing the Atlantic to get to their bases. (I know that's probably not how it would work...it's just how my imagination works )
I assume there'll be work to be done on them before they can be released to service.
18-02-2020, 12:58   #1797
ChikiChiki

Regardless if they are released back into service, I will leave it a couple of years before I venture onto one. Will be paying much more attention to type when booking flights and pay the bit extra if I have to.
Thanks from:
18-02-2020, 13:45   #1798
cnocbui

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikiChiki View Post
Regardless if they are released back into service, I will leave it a couple of years before I venture onto one. Will be paying much more attention to type when booking flights and pay the bit extra if I have to.
I wouldn't think twice about it if they get certified. If you drive, I'll bet you don't think twice about getting behind the wheel, even though the likelihood of you dying in a car crash is several million time greater than of dying in a plane crash.
18-02-2020, 19:03   #1799
errlloyd

Send a message via MSN to errlloyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
I wouldn't think twice about it if they get certified. If you drive, I'll bet you don't think twice about getting behind the wheel, even though the likelihood of you dying in a car crash is several million time greater than of dying in a plane crash.
I could be wrong, and if there is one forum I am going to get rinsed on it is this one.

But...

Per passenger mile - Aircraft much safer.
Per passenger hour - Aircraft marginally safer.
Per journey - Car journeys safer.

If you gave a rational actor the choice between driving from New York to LA and flying from New York to LA they would quite rationally accept that flying was much safer. They'd be less anxious about it etc.

But when you are comparing fear of flying to fear of driving a car, you're usually comparing a long flight to a very short car journey. In that case the flight is more dangerous.
18-02-2020, 19:46   #1800
cnocbui

Quote:
Originally Posted by errlloyd View Post
I could be wrong, and if there is one forum I am going to get rinsed on it is this one.

But...

Per passenger mile - Aircraft much safer.
Per passenger hour - Aircraft marginally safer.
Per journey - Car journeys safer.

If you gave a rational actor the choice between driving from New York to LA and flying from New York to LA they would quite rationally accept that flying was much safer. They'd be less anxious about it etc.

But when you are comparing fear of flying to fear of driving a car, you're usually comparing a long flight to a very short car journey. In that case the flight is more dangerous.
Yeah, you are wrong. 2.1 crashes per 1,000,000 departures, according to the Swiss. The odds of you dying in a plane crash are one in 15,000,000 - so as likely as winning Euromillions.

Quote:
The National Safety Council compiled an odds-of-dying table for 2008, which further illustrates the relative risks of flying and driving safety. It calculated the odds of dying in a motor vehicle accident to be 1 in 98 for a lifetime. For air and space transport (including air taxis and private flights), the odds were 1 in 7,178 for a lifetime, according to the table.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion