Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
15-02-2020, 15:17   #1786
Fritzbox
Registered User
 
Fritzbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzbox View Post
Have you got a link?
Found these:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristyk...afety-reports/
https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/20...37-max/584791/

Reports relating to the MCAS system it seems.
Fritzbox is offline  
Advertisement
17-02-2020, 08:05   #1787
TomSweeney
Registered User
 
TomSweeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,504
So when should this plane be back flying ?
TomSweeney is offline  
17-02-2020, 09:40   #1788
Tenzor07
Registered User
 
Tenzor07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSweeney View Post
So when should this plane be back flying ?
Probably September: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/21/b...g-737-max.html
Tenzor07 is offline  
Thanks from:
17-02-2020, 20:11   #1789
TomSweeney
Registered User
 
TomSweeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzor07 View Post

June/July according to that ...



damn it, I have a Norwegian air flight booked .... really hope it's not the Max..
TomSweeney is offline  
17-02-2020, 21:15   #1790
ZX7R
Registered User
 
ZX7R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSweeney View Post
June/July according to that ...



damn it, I have a Norwegian air flight booked .... really hope it's not the Max..
I find you post and many other posts quite funny.
It will probably be the safest plane in the world once it's certified by everyone
ZX7R is online now  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-02-2020, 21:44   #1791
Shedite27
Registered User
 
Shedite27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX7R View Post
I find you post and many other posts quite funny.
It will probably be the safest plane in the world once it's certified by everyone
Flying is the safest mode of transport full stop.
There's still some people who are nervous about it.

There's no amount of stats that will give some people the confidence
Shedite27 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
17-02-2020, 21:46   #1792
TomSweeney
Registered User
 
TomSweeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX7R View Post
I find you post and many other posts quite funny.
It will probably be the safest plane in the world once it's certified by everyone

I know this and logically I can accept it, but these things aren't rational ..
TomSweeney is offline  
Thanks from:
17-02-2020, 22:30   #1793
ZX7R
Registered User
 
ZX7R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSweeney View Post
I know this and logically I can accept it, but these things aren't rational ..
I understand quite well I would not be the most comfortable flying myself, but my mind will be at ease when it's certified by every air authority.
ZX7R is online now  
Thanks from:
18-02-2020, 09:25   #1794
Tenzor07
Registered User
 
Tenzor07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSweeney View Post
June/July according to that ...



damn it, I have a Norwegian air flight booked .... really hope it's not the Max..
Even if it's July that the FAA certify it, then it has to go to all the other authorities to certify.
And for example, Ryanair won't add any new aircraft to the fleet during peak season...

So no matter what it could be at least October 2020 before they're added to commercial schedules..
Tenzor07 is offline  
Advertisement
18-02-2020, 11:16   #1795
Rawr
Registered User
 
Rawr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzor07 View Post
Even if it's July that the FAA certify it, then it has to go to all the other authorities to certify.
And for example, Ryanair won't add any new aircraft to the fleet during peak season...

So no matter what it could be at least October 2020 before they're added to commercial schedules..
Seeing the photos of the parked MAX'es makes me wonder about one practical issue.

Assuming that one day this year the MAX gets the green light from the regulators, I wonder if there would be a resulting scramble to get ferry flights sorted, which in turn would cause a huge jump in traffic (and possibly delays).

I'm kind of imagining large flying wings of MAX aircraft crossing the Atlantic to get to their bases. (I know that's probably not how it would work...it's just how my imagination works )

Last edited by Rawr; 18-02-2020 at 11:20.
Rawr is offline  
18-02-2020, 11:26   #1796
markpb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawr View Post
Seeing the photos of the parked MAX'es makes me wonder about one practical issue.

Assuming that one day this year the MAX gets the green light from the regulators, I wonder if there would be a resulting scramble to get ferry flights sorted, which in turn would cause a huge jump in traffic (and possibly delays).

I'm kind of imagining large flying wings of MAX aircraft crossing the Atlantic to get to their bases. (I know that's probably not how it would work...it's just how my imagination works )
I assume there'll be work to be done on them before they can be released to service.
markpb is offline  
18-02-2020, 12:58   #1797
ChikiChiki
Registered User
 
ChikiChiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,416
Regardless if they are released back into service, I will leave it a couple of years before I venture onto one. Will be paying much more attention to type when booking flights and pay the bit extra if I have to.
ChikiChiki is online now  
Thanks from:
18-02-2020, 13:45   #1798
cnocbui
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikiChiki View Post
Regardless if they are released back into service, I will leave it a couple of years before I venture onto one. Will be paying much more attention to type when booking flights and pay the bit extra if I have to.
I wouldn't think twice about it if they get certified. If you drive, I'll bet you don't think twice about getting behind the wheel, even though the likelihood of you dying in a car crash is several million time greater than of dying in a plane crash.
cnocbui is offline  
18-02-2020, 19:03   #1799
errlloyd
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 11,673
Send a message via MSN to errlloyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
I wouldn't think twice about it if they get certified. If you drive, I'll bet you don't think twice about getting behind the wheel, even though the likelihood of you dying in a car crash is several million time greater than of dying in a plane crash.
I could be wrong, and if there is one forum I am going to get rinsed on it is this one.

But...

Per passenger mile - Aircraft much safer.
Per passenger hour - Aircraft marginally safer.
Per journey - Car journeys safer.

If you gave a rational actor the choice between driving from New York to LA and flying from New York to LA they would quite rationally accept that flying was much safer. They'd be less anxious about it etc.

But when you are comparing fear of flying to fear of driving a car, you're usually comparing a long flight to a very short car journey. In that case the flight is more dangerous.
errlloyd is online now  
18-02-2020, 19:46   #1800
cnocbui
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by errlloyd View Post
I could be wrong, and if there is one forum I am going to get rinsed on it is this one.

But...

Per passenger mile - Aircraft much safer.
Per passenger hour - Aircraft marginally safer.
Per journey - Car journeys safer.

If you gave a rational actor the choice between driving from New York to LA and flying from New York to LA they would quite rationally accept that flying was much safer. They'd be less anxious about it etc.

But when you are comparing fear of flying to fear of driving a car, you're usually comparing a long flight to a very short car journey. In that case the flight is more dangerous.
Yeah, you are wrong. 2.1 crashes per 1,000,000 departures, according to the Swiss. The odds of you dying in a plane crash are one in 15,000,000 - so as likely as winning Euromillions.

Quote:
The National Safety Council compiled an odds-of-dying table for 2008, which further illustrates the relative risks of flying and driving safety. It calculated the odds of dying in a motor vehicle accident to be 1 in 98 for a lifetime. For air and space transport (including air taxis and private flights), the odds were 1 in 7,178 for a lifetime, according to the table.
cnocbui is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet