Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-07-2019, 14:59   #1951
D14Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Supporting a club is about FEELING a connection for a club. You can feel a connection to a foreign club, feel everything that happens and this is perfectly normal and happens with most football fans in Ireland. Yes the club doesnt represent where you were born but there's other factors that make you feel connected e.g when you talk about your clubs success or failure with your family and friends
And do you know what, every single one of those factors applies to me just as much as someone that claims to support that club. I can talk about Man City winning the EPL with anyone thats not a connection, in fact talking about your own local clubs success with someone that doesn't know about it is far far more of a connection than talking about Liverpool winning the Champions league where everyone talking about it has the same "opinion" on it that they've got 2nd or 3rd hand whereas if you're explaining the significance of say Dundalk being where they are now considering where they were a few years ago is a far more interesting conversation.

Comparing "I was at the game yesterday, unreal atmosphere, nobody left the ground for an hour after the trophy was lifted" to "I watched the game on tv yesterday, sounded like a good atmosphere" is absolute night and day.
Advertisement
12-07-2019, 15:00   #1952
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Supporting a club is about FEELING a connection for a club. You can feel a connection to a foreign club, feel everything that happens and this is perfectly normal and happens with most football fans in Ireland. Yes the club doesnt represent where you were born but there's other factors that make you feel connected e.g when you talk about your clubs success or failure with your family and friends
Read this last night with regard to Wimbledon being moved to Milton Keynes.

"The nature of the relationship between clubs and their fans is based on the fact that the local football club is regarded by most English football supporters as part of the local identity and social fabric"

Wonder would any English club moving to another area bother any Irish fan in the way it did the Dons supporters. They didn't have a bar of it. They protested, boycotted and eventually formed the ultimate Phoenix club. Meanwhile, Paddy flicks on Chelsea TV for a pre-season friendly and he's the mutts nuts.
Thanks from:
12-07-2019, 15:04   #1953
D14Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
What happens to the league that isn't saved, those clubs and those players?
Gone wiped from history players (read mercenaries) go to clubs in other countries, clubs don't exist, sunday league only in those countries
12-07-2019, 15:05   #1954
Omackeral

Quote:
Go to Birmingham and London and you'll see United and Liverpool fans, same as here
It goes against the idea that the Irish follow United and Arsenal because of their parents and uncles and whoever else is my point. Why don't you address that instead of coming with things like this;

Quote:
Nothing's stopping you from supporting them if you think there's a lack
12-07-2019, 15:15   #1955
padzer220982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
Chelsea is probably the one club an Irish man shouldn't gravitate to.
I always find it funny when people here say they support Chelsea.. a big section of their fan base are well in with the Linfield and Rangers crowd.. they'd be big admirers of the UVF/UDA boys up north.. always cracks me up when I hear people I know shouting about Chelsea
Advertisement
12-07-2019, 15:15   #1956
pavb2

Quote:

Go to Birmingham and London and you'll see United and Liverpool fans, same as here
Not too many Utd or Liverpool fans in Birmingham, it's quite polarised Villa or Blues with very little in between.
12-07-2019, 15:26   #1957
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavb2 View Post
Not too many Utd or Liverpool fans in Birmingham, it's quite polarised Villa or Blues with very little in between.
Proper football people IMO
(2) thanks from:
12-07-2019, 15:47   #1958
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
Gone wiped from history players (read mercenaries) go to clubs in other countries, clubs don't exist, sunday league only in those countries
Yeah honestly that scenario leads into economic and social issues in the respective countries, I think you're talking about a scenario that would go above soccer and the nature of support. I would definitely not be happy to see the LOI or EPL completely cease to exist as you mention, hopefully that never comes to pass.

Quote:
It goes against the idea that the Irish follow United and Arsenal because of their parents and uncles and whoever else is my point. Why don't you address that instead of coming with things like this;
As I've said many times, there's loads and loads of valid reasons why, quote from earlier in the thread -
Quote:
being born there and moving, Irish players playing there, advertisements and promotion of the league and teams in Irish and English media, success and historical success, ease of watching games on TV, liking the colour of the jersey, fancying the attractive players....whatever.
Nobody is saying it's only because of parents and uncles. There's loads of valid reasons for supporting an English team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavb2 View Post
I regularly fly into Birmingham for Liverpool games and see plenty on the train up. Maybe it just looks that way on game days. You're probably right.
12-07-2019, 15:51   #1959
Omackeral

Quote:
As I've said many times, there's loads and loads of valid reasons why, quote from earlier in the thread -

Nobody is saying it's only because of parents and uncles.
Plenty trot it out for United and Liverpool though and go silent when asked about Birmingham/Everton/Palace etc
Advertisement
12-07-2019, 15:58   #1960
D14Rugby

Quote:
Yeah honestly that scenario leads into economic and social issues in the respective countries, I think you're talking about a scenario that would go above soccer and the nature of support. I would definitely not be happy to see the LOI or EPL completely cease to exist as you mention, hopefully that never comes to pass.

Nobody is saying it's only because of parents and uncles. There's loads of valid reasons for supporting an English team.

I regularly fly into Birmingham for Liverpool games and see plenty on the train up. Maybe it just looks that way on game days. You're probably right.
It obviously never will happen and you're just dodging it now because you know you want to say EPL but that you can't logically justify it.

Watching them on TV and other people in pubs also being pseudo supporters of the club so you can talk to them about it aren't valid reasons.
12-07-2019, 16:01   #1961
Omackeral

How badly would it effect EPL supporters here if their team upped sticks and went to another town like Wimbledon did? What would you do?
12-07-2019, 16:09   #1962
Stevieluvsye

Quote:
Originally Posted by padzer220982 View Post
I always find it funny when people here say they support Chelsea.. a big section of their fan base are well in with the Linfield and Rangers crowd.. they'd be big admirers of the UVF/UDA boys up north.. always cracks me up when I hear people I know shouting about Chelsea
Bulls!!t

A tiny minority is all it is.

I lived in London for years (East end however) but have been to Stamford Bridge on numerous occasions. The majority of Chelsea fans are either your typical londoner or well to do type.

FTR I'm a West Ham fan
12-07-2019, 16:16   #1963
odyssey06

Quote:
How badly would it effect EPL supporters here if their team upped sticks and went to another town like Wimbledon did? What would you do?
It was pretty tough for Shamrock Rovers, and they didn't leave Dublin?

This is a very good article, which ticks many of the boxes on the reasons why. Interestingly, as well as television, it mentions the location of the Dublin clubs in the 1950s \ 1960s 'between the canals' and the subsequent flight to the suburbs.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2016/0...ue-of-ireland/
12-07-2019, 16:54   #1964
8-10

Quote:
It obviously never will happen and you're just dodging it now because you know you want to say EPL but that you can't logically justify it.
No I don't want to say EPL. You've created a much larger scenario than simply which do you prefer just to prove your argument that you refuse to give up: that I want the LOI to suffer in order for the EPL to succeed.

I can categorically say that I do not want that to happen. And I do not want the LOI to cease to exist.

I have no idea why you are trying to argue consistently that I somehow want the LOI to not succeed, I have not said that. And making up scenarios that you say will obviously never happen just to try and trick me into saying I want them not to succeed is just sad.

Why can't you accept that I don't want the LOI to be less successful than the EPL? That's my opinion that I'm giving over and over to you and you seem to want badly to believe that I want the league to suffer even though I'm not saying that
12-07-2019, 16:55   #1965
Greyfox

Quote:
Comparing "I was at the game yesterday, unreal atmosphere, nobody left the ground for an hour after the trophy was lifted" to "I watched the game on tv yesterday, sounded like a good atmosphere" is absolute night and day.
True but IF your more invested in the team on tv then its debatable as to which would be more enjoyable for you. Yes it's true that a supporter of a team will enjoy watching his team live more than watching his team on tv.

Quote:

Wonder would any English club moving to another area bother any Irish fan in the way it did the Dons supporters.
True, it would'nt bother most Irish fans all that much.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion