Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-06-2019, 17:05   #1546
dundalkfc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Seduction View Post
Yeah I do, and that seams ludicrous to ye. I think supporting multiple clubs just to please a few moany LOI fans is ludicrous.
Not moaning.

You say you couldnt give a **** etc about the LOI getting better, so technicaly you couldnt give a **** about our national team as the LOI is the starting point for a good % of them, and it will be more and more reliant on it considering English clubs are taking young Irish lads less and less each year
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 17:24   #1547
Jim Gazebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
Not moaning.

You say you couldnt give a **** etc about the LOI getting better, so technicaly you couldnt give a **** about our national team as the LOI is the starting point for a good % of them, and it will be more and more reliant on it considering English clubs are taking young Irish lads less and less each year
Yeah shut the LOI down, close down Irish football. Waste of time. The higher quality is in the UK.
12-06-2019, 17:25   #1548
D14Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
Really? Legally?

I really don't think it's a good comparison at all.
And neither is comparing TV to football but that never stopped you before.
Thanks from:
12-06-2019, 17:41   #1549
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
And neither is comparing TV to football but that never stopped you before.
Huh? I made a joke about the RTÉ player I thought it was obvious but you seem to like jumping to conclusions on what I mean.
12-06-2019, 17:42   #1550
D14Rugby

Quote:
Huh? I made a joke about the RTÉ player I thought it was obvious but you seem to like jumping to conclusions on what I mean.
Did you not see the word "before" ? As in in the past you have compared them
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 17:50   #1551
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D14Rugby View Post
Did you not see the word "before" ? As in in the past you have compared them
All my posts are in the past. I don't recall but I'm going to guess you are simplifying what I meant to suit your argument. I still maintain you misinterpreted the word "more" in a previous exchange and have seen no concession on that one other than you doubling down on your interpretation so excuse me for being sceptical.

TV and football are not the same thing. But I watch the majority of football on television. TV is a very important medium for the success of the sport.

Is supporting an Irish football team the same as supporting Irish TV shows? Not the same,but comparable sure
12-06-2019, 18:02   #1552
Jim Gazebo

Quote:
All my posts are in the past. I don't recall but I'm going to guess you are simplifying what I meant to suit your argument. I still maintain you misinterpreted the word "more" in a previous exchange and have seen no concession on that one other than you doubling down on your interpretation so excuse me for being sceptical.

TV and football are not the same thing. But I watch the majority of football on television. TV is a very important medium for the success of the sport.

Is supporting an Irish football team the same as supporting Irish TV shows? Not the same,but comparable sure
Not comparable.
(3) thanks from:
12-06-2019, 18:47   #1553
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gazebo View Post
Not comparable.
In the sense that I choose to support who I want, can change my mind at any point and get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Same as I choose what shows to watch, can change my mind at to what I like and enjoy it.

Sport is entertaining. TV shows are entertaining.

And I watch both...on television

That's the extent of the comparison. They're not the same thing
Thanks from:
12-06-2019, 18:58   #1554

Quote:
Not moaning.

You've the wrong person here. Never said anything like that. I said I'd love to see teams from the league do well in Europe.
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 19:34   #1555
dundalkfc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Seduction View Post
Quote:
Not moaning.

You've the wrong person here. Never said anything like that. I said I'd love to see teams from the league do well in Europe.
Yeh but you won't support it thus meaning you deep down couldn't care how the National team will fare out in a few years
12-06-2019, 19:45   #1556

Quote:
Yeh but you won't support it thus meaning you deep down couldn't care how the National team will fare out in a few years
That's some jump
(2) thanks from:
12-06-2019, 19:53   #1557
mikeym

I support St Patricks athletic and Celtic cause of the queen

Put the good players on the bench
12-06-2019, 20:22   #1558
8-10

Quote:
Not moaning.

That was me who said he didn't care as much about it getting better as I do about the league that my team is in.

Maybe I don't see us strong a link between the LOI and the national team as you do. Sure a % of them play there but lots only play LOI as a stepping stone to the English leagues. To be honest id prefer to be less reliant on England for developing our players. English youngsters themselves are leaving for the Dutch, German, Scottish and Belgian leagues amongst others for a better chance. I'd like to see our young players look further afield too for more opportunities.

If LOI is going to get better and be a better option for them then that's great too but for me the important thing is getting them into a good set up and get good minutes at a decent level so whether that's here or abroad I don't think it matters. Look at other countries and you'll see they're increasingly getting young players into clubs in the countries of the top 5 European leagues because that's where the best coaching is and that's where the international teams pick their players from.

We're off on a tangent though. This thread is about the English league and why many of us Irish support it. And Irish players in the league is one of the many reasons people have.
12-06-2019, 20:27   #1559
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMM 0000 View Post
"Why do Irish people watch American movies?"
Perfectly fine angle if you think of watching movies and watching football on telly as one and the same. Plenty do. To me and millions worldwide, football isn't just something on telly though.
12-06-2019, 20:28   #1560
D14Rugby

Quote:
That was me who said he didn't care as much about it getting better as I do about the league that my team is in.

Maybe I don't see us strong a link between the LOI and the national team as you do. Sure a % of them play there but lots only play LOI as a stepping stone to the English leagues. To be honest id prefer to be less reliant on England for developing our players. English youngsters themselves are leaving for the Dutch, German, Scottish and Belgian leagues amongst others for a better chance. I'd like to see our young players look further afield too for more opportunities.

If LOI is going to get better and be a better option for them then that's great too but for me the important thing is getting them into a good set up and get good minutes at a decent level so whether that's here or abroad I don't think it matters. Look at other countries and you'll see they're increasingly getting young players into clubs in the countries of the top 5 European leagues because that's where the best coaching is and that's where the international teams pick their players from.

We're off on a tangent though. This thread is about the English league and why many of us Irish support it. And Irish players in the league is one of the many reasons people have.
You don't see a strong link between the national team and the LOI? Without the LOI our national team captain would be playing GAA for a club in Donegal just now, Enda Stevens wouldn't be playing. That's both our starting full backs. The apparent Lord and saviour Matt Doherty wouldn't be there, the list goes on and that's just current players go back through the years and some of our best ever players got to where they got to because of the LOI giving them a platform.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion