Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
03-02-2019, 17:10   #1
VinLieger
Registered User
 
VinLieger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,548
NAS + VPN network issue

I recently bought a qnap 431 to store a bunch of stuff on, primarily its used as my media storage with it directly connected to my PC which is running as a PLEX server.


The issues are firstly the NAS cannot access the internet, now this isnt a serious problem as i dont really need it to do this however having email alerts in the future might be useful. The real problem is whenever I am connected to my VPN i lose all access to the NAS and from my very basic understanding of networks these two issues are likely linked.


I think the issue is down to static ip addresses and subnet masks but again i have tried and failed to understand these systems and anytime i change something in the network adapters i either lose access to the NAS drive completely or the internet.


Can anyone give any advice or steer me in the direction of a good guide for this stuff?
VinLieger is offline  
Advertisement
04-02-2019, 08:44   #2
theBOFH
Registered User
 
theBOFH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinLieger View Post
I recently bought a qnap 431 to store a bunch of stuff on, primarily its used as my media storage with it directly connected to my PC which is running as a PLEX server.


The issues are firstly the NAS cannot access the internet, now this isnt a serious problem as i dont really need it to do this however having email alerts in the future might be useful. The real problem is whenever I am connected to my VPN i lose all access to the NAS and from my very basic understanding of networks these two issues are likely linked.


I think the issue is down to static ip addresses and subnet masks but again i have tried and failed to understand these systems and anytime i change something in the network adapters i either lose access to the NAS drive completely or the internet.


Can anyone give any advice or steer me in the direction of a good guide for this stuff?

In order to try help a little more info is required.

Are you using a static ip on the qnap? If so what us the IP/netmask/gateway on the QNAP.

What is the make/model and ip/netmask of the router?
What is taking care of the VPN?
theBOFH is offline  
04-02-2019, 19:05   #3
VinLieger
Registered User
 
VinLieger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBOFH View Post
In order to try help a little more info is required.

Are you using a static ip on the qnap? If so what us the IP/netmask/gateway on the QNAP.

What is the make/model and ip/netmask of the router?
What is taking care of the VPN?

The Qnap is set to use DHCP, i just went with the default


ip:169.254.100.100
netmask:255.255.0.0


Its not connected to my router, i wanted it next to my pc o its directly connected to that via etehernet


Im using Nordvpn and have that setup so everything should be working according to their guides.
VinLieger is offline  
05-02-2019, 07:24   #4
NoDrama
Registered User
 
NoDrama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinLieger View Post
The Qnap is set to use DHCP, i just went with the default


ip:169.254.100.100
netmask:255.255.0.0


Its not connected to my router, i wanted it next to my pc o its directly connected to that via etehernet


Im using Nordvpn and have that setup so everything should be working according to their guides.
169. address is because there is no DHCP server giving out a routable address.
NoDrama is offline  
05-02-2019, 16:31   #5
theBOFH
Registered User
 
theBOFH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinLieger View Post
The Qnap is set to use DHCP, i just went with the default


ip:169.254.100.100
netmask:255.255.0.0


Its not connected to my router, i wanted it next to my pc o its directly connected to that via etehernet


Im using Nordvpn and have that setup so everything should be working according to their guides.
Ok, one more question. When you connect your computer to the internet, is it via another ethernet cable, via wifi or via a 3g/4g dongle?


The answer at this stage is that the NordVPN is most likely operating a "full tunnel" vpn meaning that all network traffic is being sent down the vpn, even the traffic intended for your NAS.
There may be a setting in the NordPN to allow for a split-tunnel or " invisibility on LAN" or something along those lines which would send the traffic destined for the NAS out via the ethernet port while still sending the internet based traffic out the virtual network adapter created for the VPN.

In relation to the nas not being able to access the internet, unless your pc is acting as a router/bridge it will have not be able to get to the internet.
The "simplest" option would be to connect it to your router/modem via Ethernet and go from there
theBOFH is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-02-2019, 22:40   #6
VinLieger
Registered User
 
VinLieger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBOFH View Post
Ok, one more question. When you connect your computer to the internet, is it via another ethernet cable, via wifi or via a 3g/4g dongle?


The answer at this stage is that the NordVPN is most likely operating a "full tunnel" vpn meaning that all network traffic is being sent down the vpn, even the traffic intended for your NAS.
There may be a setting in the NordPN to allow for a split-tunnel or " invisibility on LAN" or something along those lines which would send the traffic destined for the NAS out via the ethernet port while still sending the internet based traffic out the virtual network adapter created for the VPN.

In relation to the nas not being able to access the internet, unless your pc is acting as a router/bridge it will have not be able to get to the internet.
The "simplest" option would be to connect it to your router/modem via Ethernet and go from there

Im using a wireless adapter as running a cable from the router to my pc isnt really possible and powerline tests were not consistent enough for me to use it.


Nordvpn does have an invisibility on LAN setting but this is switched off so shouldnt be an issue if it works correctly.



Whenever ive turned on internet sharing for the wireless the adapter it kills my internet connection for some reason.


I have noticed the subnet mask for the adapater and Nordvpn is different to my NAS, but whenever i try to change them it wont stick. Could this be the problem?
VinLieger is offline  
13-02-2019, 18:09   #7
VinLieger
Registered User
 
VinLieger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,548
Anyone else able to help with this?
VinLieger is offline  
13-02-2019, 18:11   #8
ED E
Registered User
 
ED E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 33,160
Your default route is overriding all traffic thus the NAS is unreachable.

You need a 169 route with a lower metric than the default routes metric. Jobs oxo.
ED E is online now  
13-02-2019, 19:14   #9
VinLieger
Registered User
 
VinLieger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by ED E View Post
Your default route is overriding all traffic thus the NAS is unreachable.

You need a 169 route with a lower metric than the default routes metric. Jobs oxo.

Thanks, also sorry im halfway to understanding, would a 169 route with a lower metric be like 169.254.100.99 ?
VinLieger is offline  
Advertisement
14-02-2019, 21:00   #10
VinLieger
Registered User
 
VinLieger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,548
Turned my PC on today and my NAS has completely disappeared from being visible, this has happened before and is fixed by doing a settings reset but would love if anyone could give a clue why this is happening on top of all the other questions ive got
VinLieger is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet