Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

• 26-06-2017 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

From now 2018 is starting in less than 6 months. I'd say new routes will soon be announced, specially in the months of September/October. It will all depend on Dublin Airport prices and how attractive their fees are to the airlines flying out of Dublin.

Rumours that Ryanair will launch Dublin Tel Aviv for 2018?
    Aer Lingus Las Vegas route, may we see this coming? the talking has been quiet now
    Ethiad dropping their AUH route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Will we finally see a Far East route I wonder? Hainan to Beijing being the most likely I'd say, though could we see Cathay Pacific or Singapore?

Things have been quiet in relation to Ryanair entering the Russian market, with the World Cup held there in the summer, 2018 could be a good year to start.

Also remember talk of AL launching a route to Dallas, but guess we might hear of that sometime after Vegas.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Kcormahs wrote: »
    Aer Lingus Las Vegas route, may we see this coming? the talking has been quiet now....
    The whole DUB-LAS rumour is based on an interview in the Indo last year in which the EI CEO stated something alone the lines of "Las Vegas is an interesting city, we are examining demand for this route"
    It was a very throwaway comment following on from his point about MIA being a good use of the A330 in the traditional low season.
    Personally I dont think there is anything in this rumour. EI serve the LAS market with connections through LAX and even feeding pax into the multiple VS flights from Manchester.
    honru wrote: »
    Also remember talk of AL launching a route to Dallas, but guess we might hear of that sometime after Vegas.
    This was clarified before as the Indo journalist hearing the German CEO saying "Dulles" and thinking it was "Dallas". EI returned to Dulles a couple of years ago.
    Personally I think DFW is an obvious unserved major hub in the US for EI. Look a routemap and you can see how DFW would fill that gap between Chicago and the West Coast. I cant see it happening soon however but I think its a more viable option that Las Vegas.

*obvious my opinions could be completely wrong on this!!!!

EDIT; Dammit, too late for a ninja edit of putting in DTW instead of DFW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Tenger wrote: »
    The whole DUB-LAS rumour is based on an interview in the Indo last year in which the EI CEO stated something alone the lines of "Las Vegas is an interesting city, we are examining demand for this route"It was a very throwaway comment following on from his point about MIA being a good use of the A330 in the traditional low season.
    Personally I dont think there is anything in this rumour. EI server the LAS market with connections through LAX and even feeding pax into the multiple VS flights from Manchester.

This was clarified before as the INdo journalist mishearing the German CEO saying "Dulles" and thinking it was "Dallas". EI returned to Dulles a couple of years ago.
    Personally I think DTW is an obvious unserved major hub in the US for EI. Look a routemap and you can see how DTW would fill that gap between Chicago and the West Coast. I cant see it happening soon however but I think its a more viable option that Las Vegas.

*obvious my opinions could be completely wrong on this!!!!

Not sure how Detroit could fill a gap between Chicago and the west coast as Detroit is east of Chicago. Additionally it is a Delta hub (ex Northwest) so not a natural connecting point for EI and its US partners, AA predominantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Kcormahs wrote: »
    Ethiad dropping their AUH route?

I don't see why Etihad would drop their AUH route... Running at 2x daily it seems to have good loads. If it wasn't doing as well maybe they would cut it down to 1x daily rather than cut it all together. Has there been suggestions that it will be dropped? I'd be pretty shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

The whole Vegas route story never seemed to have anything concrete in it I thought. As Tenger says above, it was based on a very throwaway comment and the media just ran with it as pretty much a done deal. I'd be amazed if it were to happen.

That said, I couldn't confidently predict EI's next TATL route atm. Possibly DFW but I wouldn't hang my hat on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Vegas is not happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Noxegon

honru wrote: »
    Will we finally see a Far East route I wonder? Hainan to Beijing being the most likely I'd say, though could we see Cathay Pacific or Singapore?

My understanding is that Singapore can't happen until we have the second runway – there's not enough distance available with 28/10.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Marcusm wrote: »
    Not sure how Detroit could fill a gap between Chicago and the west coast as Detroit is east of Chicago. Additionally it is a Delta hub (ex Northwest) so not a natural connecting point for EI and its US partners, AA predominantly.

To be fair, I'm guessing Tenger meant DFW, which for me is a no brainer for EI once in the Atlantic JV with AA and BA.

With regards to EY dropping AUH, not going to happen. I'll say it here first, I suspect the route will using 789 by the end of 2018.

To be fair, I'm guessing Tenger meant DFW, which for me is a no brainer for EI once in the Atlantic JV with AA and BA.

With regards to EY dropping AUH, not going to happen. I'll say it here first, I suspect the route will using 789 by the end of 2018.

No Tenger has said it several times before he means DETROIT.

With regards to Etihad and the 787 it is well known that it will be transferring over to the 787 at some stage even Etihad themselves have said it.

https://www.ittn.ie/news/etihad-to-operate-b787-dreamliner-on-dublin-abu-dhabi/

Old article but they've repeated it recently at trade shows

/snip

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Have I?
    I must have been drunk.

Detroit is a silly place to expand to.
    I think Dallas-Fort Worth should be the next route for EI. Huge hub thats cover the entire SouthWest of the US. And its an Americsn Airlines hub so going forward, solid IAG/OneWorld connectivity.

F and T are a little too close on the phone keypad for my fat fingers. DFW vs DTW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

How many more US/Canada routes do you think EI will go with before they go east/south?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    How many more US/Canada routes do you think EI will go with before they go east/south?

They won't ever go east, the removal of the A350 is the biggest hint that they will be focusing on Pre clearance US routes and feeding IAG partners for east and southern destinations

Fattes wrote: »
    They won't ever go east, the removal of the A350 is the biggest hint that they will be focusing on Pre clearance and feeding IAG partners for east and southern destinations

I agree they wont go east, but I wouldn't completely rule out them going south to JNB or CPT (the latter being the more likely of the two in my opinion)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm probably the only one who has suggested DTW here - within 757/321LR range and has a sizeable community of Irish extraction as well as a decent business base (outside the old City Council area) as well as effectively everyone in Windsor who uses it in preference to paying Canadian airport tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

I agree they wont go east, but I wouldn't completely rule out them going south to JNB or CPT (the latter being the more likely of the two in my opinion)

SA is well served by BA some which had a few flights a day and a partner airline in Comair in SA. Really don't think the market is there for direct flights from Dublin. Just my opinion though

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

I'd say another Canadian destination is likely, YUL.....?

john boye wrote: »
    The whole Vegas route story never seemed to have anything concrete in it I thought. As Tenger says above, it was based on a very throwaway comment and the media just ran with it as pretty much a done deal. I'd be amazed if it were to happen.

That said, I couldn't confidently predict EI's next TATL route atm. Possibly DFW but I wouldn't hang my hat on it.

I genuinely thought he had Dismissed Dallas and was suggesting Detroit. Personally I agree that DFW (and MIA) were the obvious new routes for 2017. Amongst other things it opens up the Caribbean, Central and South America via network partners. While Iberia has a great LatAm network, DUB-MAD connectivity isn't great.

Can't see it; too long, too thin. Plenty of service through London and no natural O/D base to ground it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

With regards to Etihad and the 787 it is well known that it will be transferring over to the 787 at some stage even Etihad themselves have said it.

https://www.ittn.ie/news/etihad-to-operate-b787-dreamliner-on-dublin-abu-dhabi/

Old article but they've repeated it recently at trade shows

Have to say I think the B789 would be a big downgrade from the A332. I've been on a couple and Economy looks very cramped. Even more so than the 10-abreast B77Ws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Luke-m

Noxegon wrote: »
    My understanding is that Singapore can't happen until we have the second runway – there's not enough distance available with 28/10.

Im not sure thats the case if SQ were to serve the route with the a350, I think 10/28 can take such an aircraft, (open to being wrong on that one) Certainly the 777 and 380 would be severely payload restricted and frankly too big an aircraft for such a route.

In relation to SQ ever serving Dublin, I wouldn’t rule it out in a few years, as they seem to be slowly targeting secondary cities in Europe with Stockholm and Dusseldorf recently added in a fight to take back some passengers off the Middle East 3.

Don’t see EI ever serve a route to Singapore. Somebody can quote me now, ~”il eat my own hat” if they do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Luke-m wrote: »
    Im not sure thats the case if SQ were to serve the route with the a350, I think 10/28 can take such an aircraft, (open to being wrong on that one) Certainly the 777 and 380 would be severely payload restricted and frankly too big an aircraft for such a route.

In relation to SQ ever serving Dublin, I wouldn’t rule it out in a few years, as they seem to be slowly targeting secondary cities in Europe with Stockholm and Dusseldorf recently added in a fight to take back some passengers off the Middle East 3

I expect that any service would be with their low cost brand Scoot. I wouldn't put up with that for a thirteen hour flight.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Luke-m

Noxegon wrote: »
    I expect that any service would be with their low cost brand Scoot. I wouldn't put up with that for a thirteen hour flight.

Neither would I. I suspect you may be right as regards Scoot being on the scene first.

Probably wishful thinking here but what leads me to think otherwise (as regards sq) is, they have said years back(2005) that Dublin was a route that appealed to them but for the runway length. But now with Dublin ranked as the fastest-growing airport in Europe and a new runway on the way just maybe its back on the radar again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,396 ✭✭✭✭cson

How close is DUB to its capacity in terms of pax numbers? The new runway will surely fuel a bit of an increase in routes & with IAG probably routing a few UK/EU pax through DUB for transatlantic routes are we in for a return to the circa 2007 ****show?
    Perhaps time to invest in infrastructure rather than tax cuts...

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

cson wrote: »
    How close is DUB to its capacity in terms of pax numbers? The new runway will surely fuel a bit of an increase in routes & with IAG probably routing a few UK/EU pax through DUB for transatlantic routes are we in for a return to the circa 2007 ****show?
    Perhaps time to invest in infrastructure rather than tax cuts...

Thought that Terminals capacity is said to be 35 million annually so still a bit to go but remember the old T1 handled 23 million plus in 2007/2008 before T2. Pier 2 is now segregated and therefore can be used for more flights; there is the South apron Gates and 5G (with bussing) so I'd say the Terminals are fine for a number of years - in general. See separate thread about passport queues!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

T1 at 23 had the portakabins, car park check in, area 14 etc. It was a particularly nasty experience

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

L1011 wrote: »
    T1 at 23 had the portakabins, car park check in, area 14 etc. It was a particularly nasty experience

I'll never forget those security ques in the mornings, I recall two security points in T1 at the time, both would be seriously long and chaotic ques.
    I don't remember car park check in though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭trellheim

Security at T1 most mornings in the peak the queue is now back to the barcode gates and beyond. Don't get me wrong the staff are professional and a joy to deal with, and go as fast as they can but the numbers mean it.

( BTW not all belts are always operating either even in the peak , complain to DAA about staffing on twitter or any channel you can find )

Why did they ever close the 2nd security screen in T1 anyway at the Ryanair end, that always struck me as silly

• Advertisement

Locker10a wrote: »
    I don't remember car park check in though!!

Was in the Atrium building in T1.

Advertisement