Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-07-2019, 18:16   #1906
SHOVELLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
What does football culture mean to you?
Going to games like most real fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
If you ask 1000 League of Ireland fans who Irelands Shame are, Most will say Rovers (FACT)
Jealousy maxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I did say the word maybe and there's nothing ignorant about what I said, Im just able to see the bigger picture, your perspective of disliking the EPL makes it hard for you to see things from an EPL fans perspective. I hate to break it to you but the Irish league needs more EPL fans like me to go to more Irish league matches.

As someone who has been to live matches I understand that cheering on your team live is more involving and enjoying a live match makes you want to go to another live match. I've enjoyed banter in a pub after St pats matches before and I will go to a live Airtricity match again in the future

I asked a Tallaght man before why he didnt go to a Rovers game when he follows the EPL and he said he'd feel werid as he didnt know any players and wouldnt understand any of the chants so wouldnt know what's going on.. now in this situation its better to explain that you dont need to know this info as its best to pick it up as you go along rather then just looking down on the EPL fan for not knowing better
I hate to break to you but the Irish League is up north. I love all football and have been to games in all 4 divisions in ingerland. You know mixing with real fans.
Advertisement
02-07-2019, 18:20   #1907
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOVELLER View Post
Going to games like most real fans.
I go to games
10-07-2019, 18:37   #1908
The Moldy Gowl

In the bar for the bohs and Chelsea game.

There is something inherently wrong with someone with a Dublin accent wearing a Chelsea Jersey to this.
Thanks from:
10-07-2019, 19:58   #1909
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moldy Gowl View Post
In the bar for the bohs and Chelsea game.

There is something inherently wrong with someone with a Dublin accent wearing a Chelsea Jersey to this.
Should all Dubliners support Bohs?

I know a good few Chelsea fans from here. There’s zero wrong with it
10-07-2019, 20:18   #1910
trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
With myself anyway it's laziness but I'm going to go to an Airtricity league game soon.
I commend your honesty. A lot of the reason people won't give local football a try in my view is that it takes effort. I'll try to be equally honest, I'm lucky enough to live quite close to my team (10 minute bus ride) If it was further away would I still go ? I'd like to say yes, but I really dont know. What I can say with certainty is that I could never follow the fortunes of an English team again.

The other thing I'd say is that going to a game here and there probably won't get you hooked. However, if you start to go regularly I'd say you could surprise yourself.
Advertisement
10-07-2019, 22:07   #1911
Omackeral

Quote:
Should all Dubliners support Bohs?

I know a good few Chelsea fans from here. There’s zero wrong with it
Chelsea is probably the one club an Irish man shouldn't gravitate to.
(2) thanks from:
10-07-2019, 22:29   #1912
The Moldy Gowl

Exactly.

Anyway. Since it was a money spinner it was mostly Chelsea fans. They did not make a sound. Just polite claps.

Saw a lad who has his spot every week get kicked from his spot by a family all decked out in Chelsea gear. Even though that lad is a prick it just wasn't right.
10-07-2019, 22:29   #1913
The Moldy Gowl

Exactly.

Anyway. Since it was a money spinner it was mostly Chelsea fans. They did not make a sound. Just polite claps.

Saw a lad who has his spot every week get kicked from his spot by a family all decked out in Chelsea gear. Even though that lad is a prick it just wasn't right.
10-07-2019, 22:51   #1914
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
There's literally no rules about who anybody of any nationality can support or not.

Those Chelsea fans turned up at a LOI ground and paid their money towards that local club. And people still complain about it and say they shouldn't be supporting them
Advertisement
10-07-2019, 23:02   #1915
Omackeral

Quote:
There's literally no rules about who anybody of any nationality can support or not.

Those Chelsea fans turned up at a LOI ground and paid their money towards that local club. And people still complain about it and say they shouldn't be supporting them
Well you've taken me up wrong for starters. I'm saying it's my opinion that an Irish person supporting Chelsea is not very palatable. It's grand if you're just watching telly or whatever but there's a very anti-Irish under current at that club throughout the years. Was many of their mob that wrecked Landsdowne Road in '95. They've been aligned to Rangers and Linfield in the past as a the lovely Blues Brothers. Your casual Match of the Day fan probably wouldn't be aware of that. A simple Google image of will show you more than enough.

10-07-2019, 23:26   #1916
dd973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
Agree, big wanker element in their support, a lot of right-wingers and another fringe who link themselves with Rangers and Linfield attracted by the macho image and posturing that Loyalism is steeped in, Arsenal are really the Irish club in London, loads of first and second generation Irish from Camden, Islington and Finsbury Park supported them, half of their team in the late 70's/early 80's were Irish.
(3) thanks from:
10-07-2019, 23:48   #1917
The Moldy Gowl

These Chelsea fans will never have what we habe

After tonight's it's my main come away. Chelsea players walked off and said nothing while the bohs players clapped the fans.
10-07-2019, 23:57   #1918
pgj2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashcan View Post
I commend your honesty. A lot of the reason people won't give local football a try in my view is that it takes effort. I'll try to be equally honest, I'm lucky enough to live quite close to my team (10 minute bus ride) If it was further away would I still go ? I'd like to say yes, but I really dont know. What I can say with certainty is that I could never follow the fortunes of an English team again.

The other thing I'd say is that going to a game here and there probably won't get you hooked. However, if you start to go regularly I'd say you could surprise yourself.

I drive 2 and a half hours to watch my loi team, im not even from the town. got hooked after the first game i went to. i dont support my local loi team but at least i support an Irish team.
(2) thanks from:
11-07-2019, 20:22   #1919
Fan of Netflix
Banned

Cork 2-0 down at home to a team from Luxembourg, embarrassing. Guess there will be no Rangers game.
11-07-2019, 20:28   #1920
Jimmy McGill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of Netflix View Post
Cork 2-0 down at home to a team from Luxembourg, embarrassing. Guess there will be no Rangers game.
They're really falling apart this year, **** football and **** attendences compared to the last 5 years or so. The wheels have fallen off the langer bandwagon.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion