Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

09-11-2019, 14:57   #31
Plumbthedepths

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf7187 View Post
I would hope that he cycles wherever he bloody well likes - as I do.
Hate derailing a thread but I find it hilarious he is saying motorists are subsidised by society whilst ignoring the surface under the wheels of his own bike and who paid for said surface.
Advertisement
09-11-2019, 15:07   #32
zell12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbthedepths View Post
Hate derailing a thread but I find it hilarious he is saying motorists are subsidised by society whilst ignoring the surface under the wheels of his own bike and who paid for said surface.
Motor tax v Road tax
Thanks from:
09-11-2019, 15:07   #33
AndrewJRenko

Quote:

You might want to actually check out 'who paid for said surface' before you embarrass yourself even further.

Quote:
Speaking as a fellow cyclist, your obsessive holier-than-thou attitude is tiresome, off-putting and unlikely to win many converts to our cause.
What is this 'our cause' that you speak of? I'm not acting for any cause. I'm simply clarifying the fact that 'free parking' means that non-motorists are subsidising storage space for motorists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmocab View Post
Not really, I don’t care.
Now there's a surprise.

Quote:
You're correct - they are. But most of society at large chooses to drive/own/rent cars. Motorists are part of society at large.

Look, I'm on your side, I don't even own a car at present (can't afford one for reasons I won't get into), but I'm interested in pursuing more sensible tactics.
Part of the reason you can't afford one is because you are subsiding other people's cars - every time you shop in a place with free parking, you're paying a share of the costs for other people to park. Every time you pay tax, you're paying for the increased healthcare and environmental cost incurred by other people's cars. Part of the reason you can afford one is because of of your own personal time wasted sitting behind other people's cars in traffic - the opportunity cost of congestion.
Thanks from:
09-11-2019, 15:15   #34
Plumbthedepths

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
You might want to actually check out 'who paid for said surface' before you embarrass yourself even further.

What is this 'our cause' that you speak of? I'm not acting for any cause. I'm simply clarifying the fact that 'free parking' means that non-motorists are subsidising storage space for motorists.

Now there's a surprise.

Part of the reason you can't afford one is because you are subsiding other people's cars - every time you shop in a place with free parking, you're paying a share of the costs for other people to park. Every time you pay tax, you're paying for the increased healthcare and environmental cost incurred by other people's cars. Part of the reason you can afford one is because of of your own personal time wasted sitting behind other people's cars in traffic - the opportunity cost of congestion.
Only person making an idiot of themselves is you having a pop at motorists when you use the roads yourself . Btw this is a bargain alert forum. Take your agenda off to the cycling forum.
(2) thanks from:
09-11-2019, 15:23   #35
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Only person making an idiot of themselves is you having a pop at motorists when you use the roads yourself . Btw this is a bargain alert forum. Take your agenda off to the cycling forum.
Just in case you haven't yet worked it out - roads are paid for though general taxation which is paid by everybody.
Advertisement
09-11-2019, 15:25   #36
Plumbthedepths

Quote:
Just in case you haven't yet worked it out - roads are paid for though general taxation which is paid by everybody.
Wow that's earth shattering, any other obvious observations there chief?
09-11-2019, 15:33   #37
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Wow that's earth shattering, any other obvious observations there chief?
It is indeed earth shattering for you, based on your post of 17 minutes ago.
09-11-2019, 15:35   #38
Plumbthedepths

Quote:
It is indeed earth shattering for you, based on your post of 17 minutes ago.
Dude what kind of a sad life have you got that you start a row on a bargain alert page. Go for a cycle or something clear your head. I'm done with your bull****.
09-11-2019, 15:35   #39
msmx5

Quote:

Now there's a surprise.

Take a chill pill and get off your high horse. This is bargain alert thread there are better places to rant about who paid for the roads we all cycle and drive on. The same roads that the goods you buy in the shops travel on.

Did it ever occur to you that the tenants of a shopping centre, the shops themselves, are quite happy to have free (subsidised or even fully funded by their rent) parking for their customers? Doing so gives them a much larger customer base and a customer base who will spend more.

Having free or subsidised parking means shops sell more! Customers with cars can purchase a greater volume of goods due to being able to easily transport them, they are able to travel further to the shopping location with ease and they are able/willing to travel in more inclement weather conditions.

Who is subsidising who? We live in an interdependent society where everyone is catered for. Shops need all types of customer.

Anyway - back on thread - Thanks OP for the "Alert" :-)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-11-2019, 16:16   #40
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Dude what kind of a sad life have you got that you start a row on a bargain alert page. Go for a cycle or something clear your head. I'm done with your bull****.
So should I not have bought this book for you in the Kris Kindle then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmx5 View Post
Take a chill pill and get off your high horse. This is bargain alert thread there are better places to rant about who paid for the roads we all cycle and drive on. The same roads that the goods you buy in the shops travel on.

Did it ever occur to you that the tenants of a shopping centre, the shops themselves, are quite happy to have free (subsidised or even fully funded by their rent) parking for their customers? Doing so gives them a much larger customer base and a customer base who will spend more.

Having free or subsidised parking means shops sell more! Customers with cars can purchase a greater volume of goods due to being able to easily transport them, they are able to travel further to the shopping location with ease and they are able/willing to travel in more inclement weather conditions.

Who is subsidising who? We live in an interdependent society where everyone is catered for. Shops need all types of customer.

Anyway - back on thread - Thanks OP for the "Alert" :-)
The question is, whether the tenants have ever actually thought about how they are subsidising motorists at the cost of their other customers? The obvious truth seems the wreck people's heads a bit whenever I bring it up, so it's a fair question as to whether they've seen the strong trends emerging in other countries that, strangely enough, cyclists and other non-car users can be good spenders - possibly because they're not spending all their money on a couple of tonnes of metal that sits empty and unused for 98% of the time - findings like this;

https://www.treehugger.com/urban-des...s-drivers.html

https://therecord.blogs.com/take_the...motorists.html

https://thenarwhal.ca/why-new-bike-l...-even-drivers/

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...-drivers/4066/
09-11-2019, 16:28   #41
salmocab

Now everyone’s been told.
Thanks from:
09-11-2019, 19:06   #42
Doodah7

What a mess of a thread...
Thread Closed