Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-11-2019, 14:35   #46
LimerickCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dogs View Post
Ive been thinking of upgrading my twelve years old Samsung for a while now, but just don't seem to be able to justify it, it's full HD not UHD/4k, but I'm still getting crystal clear razor sharp image from it to this day.

Question though, are almost all tvs these days "smart"? Tbh given the choice of much prefer to buy a dumb TV, and hook my shield no to it anyway.

So I guess what I'm asking is, if anyone has any suggestions for a decent 4k tv for a sitting room that will be used solely for skyQ/Netflix and IPTV using a Nvidia shield, around the 42" size?

I'm not yet convinced that smart TVs are any better than using a firestick/shield etc.
I currently have the 2017 shield and a 42" Sony Bravia which is approx 5 years old. I am thinking of upgrading the shield to the 2019 model but to get the best out of the 2019 model you really need a 4k UHD TV.

I would like to move up to 49 or 50 inch so interested to see what response you get here.
Advertisement
05-11-2019, 14:52   #47
grogi

Quote:
Ive been thinking of upgrading my twelve years old Samsung for a while now, but just don't seem to be able to justify it, it's full HD not UHD/4k, but I'm still getting crystal clear razor sharp image from it to this day.
That's the thing - 4K doesn't really bring any noticeable benefit. It actually makes the experience worse - the 1080p VA panels used to have much better viewing angles than 4K VA panels... The only thing that does make any difference in the new TVs is HDR, but there is very little impact of it in low and mid-range anyway. It is the OLEDs and some highend LCDs that you'd see the difference. Not that it makes the viewing more enjoyable.

There is an aspect of picture that is universally noticed by everyone - size.

Quote:
Question though, are almost all tvs these days "smart"? Tbh given the choice of much prefer to buy a dumb TV, and hook my shield no to it anyway.
Yes, all TVs are smart. Some are "smarter" than others, but all have at least Netflix app.

Quote:
So I guess what I'm asking is, if anyone has any suggestions for a decent 4k tv for a sitting room that will be used solely for skyQ/Netflix and IPTV using a Nvidia shield, around the 42" size?

I'm not yet convinced that smart TVs are any better than using a firestick/shield etc.
No, they are not better. They also get outdated pretty fast.

Last edited by grogi; 05-11-2019 at 14:56.
Thanks from:
05-11-2019, 15:12   #48
celtic_oz

cheap one here https://powercity.ie/product/40ES560 (not 4K)

TCL reviewed here

Thanks from:
05-11-2019, 15:16   #49
Johnny Dogs
Bannned

Cheers grogi, I think I'll sit tight for a few years yet so.
05-11-2019, 16:23   #50
MoMo2020

Quote:

All brand new TV's are smart these days but your right, you might prefer more control on your streaming device (i.e., firestick, shield, etc).
Regarding the picture quality, I'd say 1080p HD is still very good image quality but just to be future proof I'd go for 4K TV's as most streaming contents are in 4K. Having said that you will pay premium for theses as for example 4K quality on Netflix costs much more than normal HD!
Advertisement
05-11-2019, 17:37   #51
Homelander

What I see a lot is people going from very decent quality 1080P sets to budget 4K sets, expecting a massive upgrade in quality, where really, none exists in that scenario in most cases.

A proper, high quality 1080P file (eg a proper blu-ray, excellent quality rip, or other high quality source rather than some 2GB download or 720P now tv streaming box) played on a <50" 4K TV will often be indistinguishable from a 4K source, especially a streaming 4K source.

If you already have a very good quality 1080P TV, there's not really much point upgrading unless you're going for a genuinely decent 4K TV.
05-11-2019, 17:43   #52
beauf

Would you repair an older (say 5yrs old) 1080P IPS TV or just buy one of these average 4k sets?
05-11-2019, 19:57   #53
magicmoves

If you are buying this from amazon, how would you get it delivered to Ireland and what would the cost be?
05-11-2019, 20:02   #54
Homelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post
Would you repair an older (say 5yrs old) 1080P IPS TV or just buy one of these average 4k sets?

Ah in that context, I'd just get a decent budget 4K set, Hisense, or one of the better Samsungs.
Advertisement
06-11-2019, 12:19   #55
fryup

am i right in saying most 4k tvs these days would have a built in satellite tuner??
07-11-2019, 09:38   #56
MoMo2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmoves View Post
If you are buying this from amazon, how would you get it delivered to Ireland and what would the cost be?
I'd recommend parcel wizard from dpd as they delvier to your door and don't have the size limitation of parcel motel. When buying from Amazon, make sure your warranty is covered for Ireland as TV repairs are quite expensive!
Thanks from:
07-11-2019, 22:21   #57
donnyvegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogi View Post
Prepaid Revolut is a thing of the past. It saved me a lot of money, but there are better options now that don't require you to send your ID god knows where.
Name one better option.
07-11-2019, 22:22   #58
donnyvegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo2020 View Post
I'd recommend parcel wizard from dpd as they delvier to your door and don't have the size limitation of parcel motel. When buying from Amazon, make sure your warranty is covered for Ireland as TV repairs are quite expensive!
Amazon use the post office, and they will deliver to your door in Ireland and Amazon pay for it. Why would you use PW for this?
07-11-2019, 22:47   #59
comput1

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyvegas View Post
Amazon use the post office, and they will deliver to your door in Ireland and Amazon pay for it. Why would you use PW for this?
Amazon didn't always deliver any TV over 32 inch to ROI. Have they changed this policy?
08-11-2019, 08:08   #60
flexcon

guys thinking of grabbing this when the price comes back down to £299 - free shipping to Ireland with Prime.

Reviews online suggest this is good value. Any experience or opinions on it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...OKL5A1OLE&th=1

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion