Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ps1 classic gamestop 19.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

sham69 wrote: »
    I know the jury is out on these but surely for 20 euro they are decent value..
    Anyway, I ordered one for collection in city centre, I think there are 6 left in Henry street and some in liffey street..

https://www.gamestop.ie/Other%20Products/Games/69495/playstation-classic-console

Might pick one up at this price point. even if just for the Form factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

yes, thats a good price point.

someone pointed out to me i have a pi 3 with retro arch, but hey its €20!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Yeah ordered one for collection there... Like €20, you could spend that on a takeaway or something so even if you buy it and only use it a few times, it's not bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Big Bad Wolf

I know I'm just bitter that Sony didnt give us the mini we wanted and just tried to throw a piece of **** out onto the shelves to bandwagon 99 euro out of my pocket, so I wouldn't give them 99c for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Still have a working (& chipped) original Playstation at home but this may just make a handy stocking filler.....only 113 days to Xmas :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I got one as a present last year. It's worth 20. More even.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Went to purchase, out of stock. Raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

Showing at 34.99 now on the site

statto25 wrote: »

Yep, but they're used :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

statto25 wrote: »

Yep, but they're used :/

Balls they are

• Advertisement

Best I can find new is £35 on Amazon...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cex will buy then for €27 voucher..
    https://ie.webuy.com/product-detail?id=71171998pm01&categoryName=microconsoles&superCatName=gaming&title=sony-playstation-classic-boxed

I got one for €30 or so in Argos and was very underwhelmed with the games. Apparently you can load other games onto it easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The arcade forum has discussion of these types of devices and what mods can be done.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=94

this thread is specifically about the ps1 classic https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057912536

I have my PS3 hacked and can play old games on it. If getting a dedicated unit it would probably be one of the raspberry pi's

rubadub wrote: »
    The arcade forum has discussion of these types of devices and what mods can be done.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=94

this thread is specifically about the ps1 classic https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057912536

I have my PS3 hacked and can play old games on it. If getting a dedicated unit it would probably be one of the raspberry pi's

Interesting.
    How is playing ps1 games on the ps3? ... it's still emulation right?
    Even ps2 would be emulation as well?

Interesting.
    How is playing ps1 games on the ps3? ... it's still emulation right?
    Even ps2 would be emulation as well?

I have never done it, I just play old arcade games, a PS3 can play original PS1 discs, I have done this. A limited number of models were capable of playing PS2.

The jailbroken PS3 can play ISO images of both. I see youtube videos were it can also attempt to smoothen the graphics, some can look really bad on LCD screens compared to CRT screens which smooth the graphics.

At 1:38 you see them side by side, in comments many prefer the original and that the other smooths too much (this is only an option you can play as it originally was)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Buy for €20, play for a few hours, sell it to CEX for €19. Rob the HDMI. Chalk down to experience.

@rubadub
    Cheers for that. I have two ps3's. One is an old fat ps3 that died many years ago. Might try and fix it. Well pay someone to fix it :pac: Other is a slim model.

The fat model would be quite good to get back up and running. Wonder if there is any decent console repair services around. To google! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

What ps1 games are actually playable besides crash and spyro which are both available as remakes? I imagine the more realistic less cartoony games like metal gear solid etc don't hold up well at all

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    What ps1 games are actually playable besides crash and spyro which are both available as remakes? I imagine the more realistic less cartoony games like metal gear solid etc don't hold up well at all

If you were a fan of MGS (or any game) back in the day the games will hold up to a degree. Nostalgia and all that.

Any game you didn't really play will suffer from bad controls and camera at the start. Until you get past it.

@rubadub
    Cheers for that. I have two ps3's. One is an old fat ps3 that died many years ago. Might try and fix it. Well pay someone to fix it :pac: Other is a slim model.

My PS3 slim was never connected to the internet so had old firmware that made jailbreaking it very easy. THere was some flawed firmware released, I think last year, which made it possible to jailbreak pretty much any version, but with some more difficulty.

I would imagine the very latest firmware would have this updated, so I would read up and not connect yours to the internet as it might auto update.

There are guides on fixing them, some get common faults which you might have a go fixing yourself.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/PlayStation_3_Troubleshooting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Well worth it at this price, I added all the old games i used to have and theres about 90 something games on my PSclassic now. Only games I couldn't get to work were the wipeouts..

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    Yeah, they don't hold up very well personally. I spent more time downloading games, organizing them etc than I did playing them.

I find that the late 16-bit games (Mario World etc) hold up much better than the early 3D games.

I find that the late 16-bit games (Mario World etc) hold up much better than the early 3D games.
    The rise of the PS1 put me off games. Everybody I know who had one insisted on buying 3d games, as they thought it sort of a waste to be getting 2D games with this "amazing technology". I thought most were crap back then, I have no rose tinted glasses/memory.

People were missing out on great 2D fighting games and going for shockingly bad 3d fighting games. The gamepad had plenty of buttons and game makers felt they had to use every last one. I hated the fact most of the games required reading of a manual, after growing up with joysticks with just 1 button and arcade games with usually 2-3.

If more games would have had a "2 button" or "3 button" mode I would have played them a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I recently completed Res Evil 1 on my PS Classic

I was playing on my 55" TV using the default wired controller so was sitting about a metre away from it.

Even with the blocky retro graphics I enjoyed every minute... that game alone made my purchase worth it.

Getting through MGS now, and then I plan to mod it after... best €30 I spent this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Back to €39.99 online and in-store.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

rubadub wrote: »
    The rise of the PS1 put me off games. Everybody I know who had one insisted on buying 3d games, as they thought it sort of a waste to be getting 2D games with this "amazing technology". I thought most were crap back then, I have no rose tinted glasses/memory.

People were missing out on great 2D fighting games and going for shockingly bad 3d fighting games. The gamepad had plenty of buttons and game makers felt they had to use every last one. I hated the fact most of the games required reading of a manual, after growing up with joysticks with just 1 button and arcade games with usually 2-3.

If more games would have had a "2 button" or "3 button" mode I would have played them a lot more.

There was a range of 2D fighting games on the PS1, like Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes, the fun Pocket Fighter , Street Fighter Alpha 3, Mortal Kombat Trilogy and more. They didn't have the hype that the Tekkens etc. did but did have a following
    Most post 8bit computers/console 2D fighting games used 4-6 buttons, with 16bit megadrive/genesis console releasing 6 button controllers with the release of SF2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

Bleemsync 1.2 is now available and WiFi works brilliantly.
    I'm using this adaptor from Amazon.
    I haven't tried it but multi-player for some games is now possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Walter White

Missed this for €20, but just seen plenty of stock in Harvey Norman for €29.

https://www.harveynorman.ie/gaming/ps4/sony-playstation-classic-console.html

Advertisement