Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-07-2019, 20:26   #16
Shefwedfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenightman View Post
I've been hmming and hawwing about getting a credit card the last while as it would be handy for car rental & hotel booking abroad, the 30 quid bonus for joining might just put me over the edge here. Just a quick question:

1. How do you pay your bill each month? do you have to transfer from your bank account or can you pay instantly by Visa Debit etc?

If you dont have one then maybe just get a revolut....then you dont end up building a big debt you have to try and pay off
Advertisement
20-07-2019, 20:29   #17
thenightman

As stated already, I would like one so a hold isn't placed on funds on my debit card account when I book a hotel or rent a car abroad. I'm grand at managing money responsibly and have never accrued any debt as I only buy what I can afford. Was just wondering what way you can pay the bill each month, bank transfer or by debit instantly?

I have a revolut, its a debit card. This is a credit card.
20-07-2019, 20:35   #18
Sonny noggs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenightman View Post
As stated already, I would like one so a hold isn't placed on funds on my debit card account when I book a hotel or rent a car abroad. I'm grand at managing money responsibly and have never accrued any debt as I only buy what I can afford. Was just wondering what way you can pay the bill each month, bank transfer or by debit instantly?

I have a revolut, its a debit card. This is a credit card.
I login to the avant website and pay from a debit card. You can usually pay with bank transfer, direct debit or through the post office.
(2) thanks from:
20-07-2019, 20:36   #19
thenightman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny noggs View Post
I login to the avant website and pay from a debit card. You can usually pay with bank transfer, direct debit or through the post office.

Grand, cheers. Debit would be quickest/easiest for me.
Thanks from:
20-07-2019, 20:40   #20
ted1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q&A View Post
Don't confuse this with "cashback" on a debit card which is merely cash withdrawal from your current account. Very different. AFAIK N26 don't offer credit here.

charge
N26 offer 1% cash back on all Spending....
If people are paying it off each month just stick with a debit card.,,,
Advertisement
20-07-2019, 20:45   #21
Beersmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogi View Post
The deposit is usually the same.you just don't see it on the credit...
Sometimes, sometimes it way way more. I've found out the hard way. 2 grand held for a weeks rental which impact my holiday significantly! Also not refunded foe several more weeks.

With a credit card you have more protection from fraud.

Take my comments as someone who has not had a CC for over 6 years and now realise the benefits.
Thanks from:
20-07-2019, 21:32   #22
jasongoodbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1 View Post
Do you have a link to this? I only know if .1% cashback on their business offering.
20-07-2019, 23:05   #23
StonedRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny noggs View Post
There's a charge for paying your Avantcard bill at the post office.
I do it online with visa debit.
Full payment every month and it cost nothing apart from annual government levy.
Linked my Avantcard to my Tesco clubcard and collect points for every spend. Get about €40 every 3 months =€80 off bord gais bill
(3) thanks from:
21-07-2019, 15:23   #24
ROVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedRaider View Post
Linked my Avantcard to my Tesco clubcard and collect points for every spend. Get about €40 every 3 months =€80 off bord gais bill
I too have my Avantcard linked to my Tesco clubcard. If I switch to this can I still retain my clubcard link.?.
Advertisement
21-07-2019, 15:47   #25
Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedRaider View Post
I too have my Avantcard linked to my Tesco clubcard. If I switch to this can I still retain my clubcard link.?.
Shouldn't be an issue. As an existing customer it doesn't change anything other than you get a few quid back at the end of the month. Card, number and everything stays the same
21-07-2019, 15:50   #26
Shefwedfan

Do you hve to ring to link tesco clubcard? I can't find on the advantages website
(2) thanks from:
21-07-2019, 16:27   #27
Creamy Goodness

Quote:
I have a credit that I pay off each month. I use the credit more as I get cash back on KBC (1%). There are many benefits of using credit and paying in full than just using debit.

This is s niche use but if it’s a week from pay day and an appliance ****s the bed, do I wait for a week without a washing machine? No I lash it on the credit card and then pay off next month (this assumes I don’t have a rainy day fund to dip into which I do but most don’t).

My brother banks with BOI, they charge 20c for debit transaction, but free on BOI credit he spends on credit and pays off monthly with his debit. Whilst it’s not exactly the best it’s a way.

Also with credit you can buy something with purchase protection, buy something online with a debit card, the money goes right away before you get said item, if your debit card number gets compromised then you’re ****e out of luck, if your credit card gets compromised you’re pretty much covered.

Revolut/N26 are great and have their advantages (I.e. my Revolut is great abroad) but I feel like they can’t replace a traditional credit card. I think it’s crazy people using the premium cards from Revolut/N26 for the guts of €9.99 a month and actually getting zero or close to zero in return.

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 21-07-2019 at 16:32.
(4) thanks from:
21-07-2019, 16:53   #28
ROVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shefwedfan View Post
Do you hve to ring to link tesco clubcard? I can't find on the advantages website
Tesco sold their credit card business to Avantcard. If you were a previous tesco customer you retained your benefits.
21-07-2019, 16:54   #29
Shefwedfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
Tesco sold their credit card business to Avantcard. If you were a previous tesco customer you retained your benefits.

Ahh right it is not a standard offering.....
Thanks from:
21-07-2019, 18:17   #30
NewClareman

Quote:
If people are paying it off each month, this is a good bargain. If people aren’t paying it off each month they should consider cutting it up, as credit card interest is only a step above moneylenders.

@op. Thanks a million for a brilliant offer, this will save me over €100 per year. 🙂

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion