Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Instant access to 5000 newspapers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

JTMan wrote: »
    Or use a VPN (it is not hard) and carry on reading the Sunday Independent.

I missed the earlier comments about VPN. What country do you set the VPN to for access or as I'm a bit stupid how is it working with VPN :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

sweetie wrote: »
    I wonder is it a result of the system being so easy to game. Most of us here have valid library accounts now but it seems that it's quite easy to
    use the system without. I don't really bother with the newspapers and all my magazines are still available but my Dad was able to use it and found it a good resource.

the Indo went behind a paywall earlier this year, that's probably the reason. Why would you pay for it if you can get a library card for free and read the full ePaper for nothing. In the case of the Examiner, their website is still free, but the ePaper is not.

loyatemu wrote: »
    the Indo went behind a paywall earlier this year, that's probably the reason. Why would you pay for it if you can get a library card for free and read the full ePaper for nothing. In the case of the Examiner, their website is still free, but the ePaper is not.

How many are going to start paying?

I enjoyed having a flick though the indo or the examiner everyday over lunch and in particular the farming independent on a Tuesday. But if I can’t get them for free I won’t be reading them.

Hopefully a work around is found or another free online resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

This is INM pulling the service, not the libraries' doing. As for people putting in fake library card numbers, just join online FFS, it takes 2 minutes and you'll actually be helping the library statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

As others have noted, Indo and others like it are probably still available when the ip appears outside the state.
    Therefore, a vpn will likely provide the access.

I will get around to testing it and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

Posting workarounds here might be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

As others have noted, Indo and others like it are probably still available when the ip appears outside the state.
    Therefore, a vpn will likely provide the access.

I will get around to testing it and see

as I pointed out a few posts above, they're not.
    You need a non-Irish IP and a non-library (i.e. paid) Pressreader account

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Peter Galileo

Just see 3 Irish newspapers now when filtering newspapers by country : Irish mirror, Sunday mirror and Sligo weekender. Independent gone.. Using Galway library login.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

I missed the earlier comments about VPN. What country do you set the VPN to for access or as I'm a bit stupid how is it working with VPN :)

I have my VPN set to New Zealand and have full access to INM titles and the Irish Times on the desktop version.

loyatemu wrote: »
    as I pointed out a few posts above, they're not.
    You need a non-Irish IP and a non-library (i.e. paid) Pressreader account

Huh? I don't have a paid Pressreader account.

The steps are simple:
    - Load http://library.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx on a desktop
    - Download Hola (free) and switch to an non-Irish country
    - Input 900000000 as your library card.
    - You have access to INM and Irish Times in the Ireland section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

sweetie wrote: »
    I wonder is it a result of the system being so easy to game. Most of us here have valid library accounts now but it seems that it's quite easy to
    use the system without. I don't really bother with the newspapers and all my magazines are still available but my Dad was able to use it and found it a good resource.

I'd say it's exactly that. It's exploiting a clearly poorly designed system, but just because someone leaves the front door open, doesn't make it right to go in and help yourself to the tea..

Shame tho, seemed a useful resource for some, especially in these times.

The steps are simple:

Yeah you can even go one better than that using tablet or phone.
    In the hola settings, click on web, then user agent and change it to desktop.
    Reload the page and then choose Ireland from the list of newspapers. The inm papers are all there.

I chose Australia through the hola vpn.

Yeah you can even go one better than that using tablet or phone.
    In the hola settings, click on web, then user agent and change it to desktop.
    Reload the page and then choose Ireland from the list of newspapers. The inm papers are all there.

I chose Australia through the hola vpn.

Did you have to make a new press reader registration?

Just see 3 Irish newspapers now when filtering newspapers by country : Irish mirror, Sunday mirror and Sligo weekender. Independent gone.. Using Galway library login.

All the regional Irish newspapers seem to be gone now too

No. I didn't even login.
    I just used my library card number and that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

Libraries Ireland have confirmed the the Independent and Examiner "...are no longer accessible in Ireland at the publishers' request" .

They don’t appear to be available from anywhere as I’ve tried vpn from multiple different counties.

The Irish time’s and Irish daily mail appear from most other counties but no indo or examiner. Tempted to call them out on twitter for their meanness.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

They don’t appear to be available from anywhere as I’ve tried vpn from multiple different counties.

The Irish time’s and Irish daily mail appear from most other counties but no indo or examiner. Tempted to call them out on twitter for their meanness.

Works great with 5 post above to be fair and its all free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Just wondering can this be opened up on an App

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Its mad. I'm only interested in the Times and the Indo.
    On my PC browser (Chrome) I can access The Times & The Indo by using Hola VPN set to Uk.

On Press reader on my phone with VPN I can only access the Irish Times..no Indo

If I use the web press reader link on my phone and set a VPN I can get neither.

• Advertisement

uRbaN wrote: »
    On my PC browser (Chrome) I can access The Times & The Indo by using Hola VPN set to Uk.

i can acess Independant just put in spain u be fine 75 papers , 34 if i leave it on Ireland

and thats on Phone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

torrevieja wrote: »
    i can acess Independant just put in spain u be fine 75 papers , 34 if i leave it on Ireland

and thats on Phone

using a library account with a vpn?

yes Sweetie

MunsterM wrote: »
    Libraries Ireland have confirmed the the Independent and Examiner "...are no longer accessible in Ireland at the publishers' request" .

yes they are if u u use vpn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Does the OP method still work, or is there a newer method? Tia

uRbaN wrote: »

On Mac in chrome I only get the times regardless of vpn country, same on iPhone in app or browser and same on iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Mildly disappointed this thread isn't called 'Seems like a good deal on 5000 newspapers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 strombone

torrevieja wrote: »
    yes they are if u u use vpn

I can't access the Independent papers by VPN on iOS or Android tablet. What country do you use, on what device? Thanks

strombone wrote: »
    I can't access the Independent papers by VPN on iOS or Android tablet. What country do you use, on what device? Thanks

I have being using a VPN (Hola) on a desktop pointing towards New Zealand. The Irish Times and Independent are in the Ireland section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Does the OP method still work, or is there a newer method? Tia

From the last page:

The steps are simple:

Advertisement