Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home heating oil promo code Topoil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

vicwatson wrote: »
    Like any purchase if you pay for it you get that price. Contract complete. Offer, acceptance, consideration.
    I would say if you are worried about an increase that won't happen at the moment. But if you are worried about a decrease that will happen and when you pay it will be at the price on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

racso1975 wrote: »
    i would ring again if i were you. Northern irish kerosene is illegal in the south particulary given the fact that it has a different identifier then irish kerosene.

I have no reason to phone them again.

You are absolutely incorrect.

What has a dye got to do with the legality of its use? Nothing.

If you can find anything other than opinions of old cronies talking about old outdated rules, then feel free to post. On the other hand the Revenue and Customs are the people who deal with these specific issues and whose job it is to enforce the rules. They could not have been any clearer in their instructions. Next you will be saying that using MGO from the North is illegal because its dyed red instead of green here in the South.

As long as you are buying it for your own personal use, and the duty/VAT is paid in the country of Origin within the EU (Thats Northern Ireland by the way) then it is not illegal at all. Thats the advantage of free trade within the EU. In the UK the Government only charge 5% for all products related to home use, such asd home heating oil, electricity and gas bills, all 5% instead of the rip off 13.5% here.

If you live near the border and have been buying kerosene from the South you've been losing out massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

JackNow wrote: »
    Hi pa990, can you tell me when you ordered online does this lock in the current price, or can it change to the price of oil on the day of delivery. As oil prices fluctuate on a daily basis.
    How many days does delivery take, as I'm considering topping up my tank but I will not be around the house during the week.

You pay by credit card at time of ordering, so that's the price/volume locked in.

I ordered late Friday night, got a delivery day of Tuesday.

But delivery times will depend on your local depot

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Blankety

1000 liters kero was €360 10 days ago see it's €319 Now..... Where's it all gonna end... That was in derrynoose take it away in a bowser with all the risk that brings. 2 outfits there seem to be going toe to toe. Stiil a huge change since this time last year.

Blankety wrote: »
    1000 liters kero was €360 10 days ago see it's €319 Now..... Where's it all gonna end... That was in derrynoose take it away in a bowser with all the risk that brings. 2 outfits there seem to be going toe to toe. Stiil a huge change since this time last year.

What risk does it bring? Please be specific.

BTW if youre talking about the prices at The Dandys in Derrynose, you could get it for €308 if you paid in Sterling and used the Revolut card, instead of The Dandys exchange rate which has a bit of commission built in which costs you money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JackNow

Hi all, Thanks for the info on my query. time for me to start ordering 500l.

What risk does it bring? Please be specific .

Sorry I don't know the exact customs and excise rulings that hauling kerosene bought in the 6 counties breaks but I'm sure if you get pulled over there'll be plenty. I heard that one of the cullaville sellers lost 2 bowsers on the same day a few week back. Not sure what happened the customer driving.
    Lots of innovation going in in the tank making business I'd say.

I don't go to the dandy, always struck me as a smarmey outfit. I hate guys who do the hard sell all the time.
    j&p round the cornor are as good pricewise and civil folk, I have no relationship with either by the way, just a personal preference.

Well its clear then that your information is wrong. I sat and read through the entire legislation after your post about trade within the EU. There is no extra duty, or VAT to be paid on anything that is bought within the EU that has had its duty and VAT paid in the country of origin so long as it is for personal use. There are only 3 exceptions to this rule, they are for motor vehicles, alcohol and tobacco. There is no limit to the amount of fuel being brought in from the UK so long as it is ONLY for personal use.

It doesnt matter what things you may have heard of in the past, hearsay is all it is.

It is very odd that you have nothing to base your opinion on other than hearsay and gossip, yet when I tell you I have phoned the Revenue specifically to find out if there were any restrictions in place, you do not believe me and think the Revenue is wrong. You would almost think you sold fuel in the ROI and are trying to put people off doing it.

"Traveling with your purchases

From another EU Member State

There are no limits on what private people can buy and take with them when they travel between EU countries, as long as the products purchased are for personal use and not for resale, with exception of new means of transport (for example, a car). VAT is included in the price of the product in the member state and no further payment of taxes including VAT can be charged here in Ireland.

However, special rules apply in the case of goods subject to excise duty, such as alcoholic beverages and tobacco products. The Revenue Commissioners have published information for travellers arriving in Ireland from member states of the European Union."

Guys... any chance we can keep on topic?

Ok.. "topoilweb" is still working, €15 off 500L,

But that might change when someone gets into the office on Monday morn.

"Heat2016" is also still working, €12.50 off 500L

Well its clear then that your information is wrong. ........

You would almost think you sold fuel in the ROI and are trying to put people off doing it.

[/I]

As I said I don't know the revenue rules as prosecuted in ROI but I can tell you that if you stick a bowser on the back of your car and drive through Clontibret or Monaghan a few times you'll most likely find out. I think you could have a fun few hours with the guys in the Hi-Vis jackets, reeling off that legislation to them:D:D:D

You couldn't be further from the truth on your assertion that I sell fuel.

Getting back on track if it suits some folk it's €0.319 per litre for kerosene in Dandy's or J&P fuels Derrynoose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Well its clear then that your information is wrong. I sat and read through the entire legislation after your post about trade within the EU. There is no extra duty, or VAT to be paid on anything that is bought within the EU that has had its duty and VAT paid in the country of origin so long as it is for personal use. There are only 3 exceptions to this rule, they are for motor vehicles, alcohol and tobacco. There is no limit to the amount of fuel being brought in from the UK so long as it is ONLY for personal use.

It doesnt matter what things you may have heard of in the past, hearsay is all it is.

It is very odd that you have nothing to base your opinion on other than hearsay and gossip, yet when I tell you I have phoned the Revenue specifically to find out if there were any restrictions in place, you do not believe me and think the Revenue is wrong. You would almost think you sold fuel in the ROI and are trying to put people off doing it.

"Traveling with your purchases

From another EU Member State

There are no limits on what private people can buy and take with them when they travel between EU countries, as long as the products purchased are for personal use and not for resale, with exception of new means of transport (for example, a car). VAT is included in the price of the product in the member state and no further payment of taxes including VAT can be charged here in Ireland.

However, special rules apply in the case of goods subject to excise duty, such as alcoholic beverages and tobacco products. The Revenue Commissioners have published information for travellers arriving in Ireland from member states of the European Union."

Your know it all aggressive attitude is pathetic. in both cases you were only offered advice.
    Revenue investigators have detected a rise in the number of residents here bringing in 1,000 litres at a time for private use.
    Users have been warned that they do not have a personal duty-free allowance to allow them to bring in oil from another EU state.
    A person taking oil across the Border from the North must notify the local revenue office and pay taxes, including the carbon tax, on the oil.
    A spokesperson for Customs and Revenue this week explained this week that there is currently no prohibition on the importation of kerosene into the State from Northern Ireland. However, the application of a reduced rate in Mineral Oil Tax means oil must be marked with a declaration to that effect provided upon importation into the State.

Oil properly marked in accordance with the regulations is €38.02 per thousand litres, while oil not marked the tax applicable is €479.02 per thousand litres. Any kerosene illegally imported into the State is liable to forfeiture along with the conveyance used to transport the oil.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2012/03/07/4009412-rising-heating-costs-prompt-cross-border-oil-rush

The reason I politely suggested ringing again was because i have a relative who works there and was surprised to see the answer you received. I contacted them, got the answer and thats why i suggested you ring again. The reason i mentioned the dye was because it immediately identifies it as not being Irish.

But hey you run along and keep doing what your doing I am sure you will be able to tell the customs what you are doing is all above board.

racso1975 wrote: »
    Your know it all aggressive attitude is pathetic. in both cases you were only offered advice.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2012/03/07/4009412-rising-heating-costs-prompt-cross-border-oil-rush

The reason I politely suggested ringing again was because i have a relative who works there and was surprised to see the answer you received. I contacted them, got the answer and thats why i suggested you ring again. The reason i mentioned the dye was because it immediately identifies it as not being Irish.

But hey you run along and keep doing what your doing I am sure you will be able to tell the customs what you are doing is all above board.

Actually my attitude is not pathetic, keep your silly childish immature insults to yourself.

I just phoned Revenue again and the person there said "yeah there is no provision for bringing oil across personally" and when I questioned what legislation covers this, and asked for more details they could not find it. I then quoted what it says on their own website about no duty or taxes on any items brought by yourself bought in the EU for personal use except for motor vehicles, tobacco and alcohol. I explained I want to read something specifically stating if I can or cannot bring in oil for my own use, as their website clears appears to state I can bring it in for my own use.

After 10 minutes waiting for them to find something, they took my number and will call me back as they need time to find the information.

Im not expecting every member of staff in the Customs department to know every bit of legislation, but if its not clear on their website for even their own staff to find, how can it be easy for the average layman to do the same.

Only a few months ago I had several people in here talking about having to pay income tax on gambling,the Revenue were saying all manner of things contradicting each other every time I phoned them. SO eventually, sick of it, I arranged an interview with them and I took in all manner of documents to back up my theory that as gambling is tax free in Ireland, the winnings should not be declarable income. They couldnt find anything to oppose my view, and after some back and forth with their legal department in Dublin to seek advice, they provided me with a letter stating that.

I hope Im correct and I believe I am, but Im also happy to accept my view on the matter is wrong so long as it can be shown to me in legislation. The new stories you wrote are are from 2011 and 2012, historic, as I previously mentioned. There was a few changes in the Customs act 2014 which may or may not have relaxed the state of affairs.

I have bought thousands of litres of oil from Cullaville over the last few years. driven right down the motorway with it on a proper double bunded fuel bowser, and also even in an IBC strapped onto a normal double axel trailer, which most certainly doesnt comply with the safety regulations of transporting mineral oils.

All I seek is absolute clarity on this matter, its really not about winning an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,819 ✭✭✭✭muffler

All I seek is absolute clarity on this matter, its really not about winning an argument.
    Earlier you were stating it as a fact that home heating oil could be brought across the border duty free and now you are looking for clarity.

When you find it (the legislation) post up a link and we can all congratulate you then. :)

muffler wrote: »
    Earlier you were stating it as a fact that home heating oil could be brought across the border duty free and now you are looking for clarity.

When you find it (the legislation) post up a link and we can all congratulate you then. :)

Get your point in context. I was basing my opinion on advice provided by Revenue. If I phone them and they say "Yes you can bring it as long as its in a proper tank and for personal use only" then why would I have had any reason to doubt that information.

In my last post I said I want absolute clarity based upon the fact that the other poster stated he also phoned Revenue who said something different. That is why I require clarity.

Im not seeking congratulations, I will be buying it in the North regardless of whether its legal or not, I couldn't give a flying fcuk about the law, only about getting caught. Other people will only want to do it if its 100% legal and above board.

If it turns out that Ireland has yet again made up some nasty little rule to fleece its populous, as they have done with VRT, then I will simply be a bit more covert, rather than blatantly driving about with a fuel bowser attached to my vehicle thinking it was permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

I would assume since we are all supposed to be part of the EU with open boarders and all, that it shouldn't be illegal to transport fuel from one member state to another and the only regulation you should need to worry about is the maximum quantity of fuel you are licensed to transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I asked a customs man the question the other day & was told there was no personal allowance to speak of & you are only allowed an emergency supply.

However reading on the revenue website would suggest that once you accompany it, the duty has been paid & it's for your own use its fine.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878.html

It's different if it's unaccompanied, ie delivered to you by an out of state supplier

See here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/leaflets/pn1879.html

My original understanding was that it was fine from a taxation point of view but where you fell foul was to do with the transportation of the actual kerosene.

I'd be curious to get a definitive answer, but if I happened to be buying any I think I'd keep a copy of the first link printed in the glovebox to reference if stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

Lads and laddies
    In relation to getting a delivery, I always ask the driver to flush out the pipe after he pumps the delivery.

I was thought by my manager in a car main dealership

When we took delivery of expensive motor engine oil say 1000 liters at an average of 5 euro a liter

The amount of potential litres left in the pipe would be worth a few hundred euro!

Some drivers claimed that there is always oil in the pipe from the last customer drop off. But really this could not have been true.

The trucks that deliver the motor oil, would be often carrying 2 different specs of oil and using only 1 pipe. We regularly took in 500 liters of 10w40 and 500 liters of 5w30 ect.

So there was noway the driver was going to leave the product in the pipe. And take a chance that the next customer would be getting the same product, if you follow me.

So back with the home heating Oil. Be sure to ask the delivery guy to blow out the pipe when it clocks to your required delivery amount. The product is better off in your tank that the oil companies and especially when your paying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

But you wouldn't be paying for whats in the pipe, if you order 500 lts kerosene then 500 litrs should be in the tank no? Are you saying that 500 litres leaves the truck and thats whats marked via the delivery docket with weights and measures, and there is still some oil of that 500 litres sitting in the hose when it should be in your tank ???

if it is what you are saying it could be fraudulent no? If you buy 500 then thats what you should get - in your tank.
    spongbob wrote: »
    Lads and laddies
    In relation to getting a delivery, I always ask the driver to flush out the pipe after he pumps the delivery.

When we took delivery of expensive motor engine oil say 1000 liters at an average of 5 euro a liter

The amount of potential litres left in the pipe would be worth a few hundred euro!

Some drivers claimed that there is always oil in the pipe from the last customer drop off. But really this could not have been true.

The trucks that deliver the motor oil, would be often carrying 2 different specs of oil and using only 1 pipe. We regularly took in 500 liters of 10w40 and 500 liters of 5w30 ect.

So there was noway the driver was going to leave the product in the pipe. And take a chance that the next customer would be getting the same product, if you follow me.

So back with the home heating Oil. Be sure to ask the delivery guy to blow out the pipe when it clocks to your required delivery amount. The product is better off in your tank that the oil companies and especially when your paying for it

What's the bargain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,819 ✭✭✭✭muffler

pa990 wrote: »
    What's the bargain ?

• Advertisement

I had first had experience when working in a main dealer garage and it was my job to see that the pipe was flushed out.. If motor oil cost 5euro a liter to the garage and there is 30 40 or 50 liters left in the pipe. That adds up to a couple of hundred euros.

When then pipe is rolled back up into the lorry the contents can easily be cyfiled back into the tank.

The suppliers that the company used at the time was a split storage tank. Carring different oils.

vicwatson wrote: »
    But you wouldn't be paying for whats in the pipe, if you order 500 lts kerosene then 500 litrs should be in the tank no? Are you saying that 500 litres leaves the truck and thats whats marked via the delivery docket with weights and measures, and there is still some oil of that 500 litres sitting in the hose when it should be in your tank ???

if it is what you are saying it could be fraudulent no? If you buy 500 then thats what you should get - in your tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Lads and laddies

Your manager was really pulling your leg. I delivered oil for years, the pipe is always full both before and after delivery. Normally 100 litres in pipe, if driver is changing to different oil for next customer he changes before the last 100litres of your delivery is out. You cannot drain the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Where did you see this ??

pm. wrote: »
    Where did you see this ??

2 border sellers beside me J&P fuels derrynoose and Dandy's derrynoose were at that level last weekend. Cullavile crew are still higher than this. As mentioned I prefer J&P as there is always a chance of a tenner off and they are a bit more civil.
    That's a take it away in a bowser job....despite what is said by the armchair warriors, if customs stop you then at a minimum you'll be sweating for an hour along the road as they threaten to lift the bowser, contents and your vehicle.
    I heard of a retired detective loosing a bowser in the recent past.. But could be a rural legend rather than an urban one.

2 border sellers beside me J&P fuels derrynoose and Dandy's derrynoose were at that level last weekend. Cullavile crew are still higher than this. As mentioned I prefer J&P as there is always a chance of a tenner off and they are a bit more civil.
    That's a take it away in a bowser job....despite what is said by the armchair warriors, if customs stop you then at a minimum you'll be sweating for an hour along the road as they threaten to lift the bowser, contents and your vehicle.
    I heard of a retired detective loosing a bowser in the recent past.. But could be a rural legend rather than an urban one.

Mug post.

Of course you can drain the line. I have seen it done before. Where a driver was delivering a fill of prepaid online oil to a customer and got the house number mixed up. The customer left instructions to let him self in thtough the gates

My neibhour that all his birthdays had come at once.. but not si, the driver flicked the switch and reversed the fill back onto the truck and was on his way to the right house

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Your manager was really pulling your leg. I delivered oil for years, the pipe is always full both before and after delivery. Normally 100 litres in pipe, if driver is changing to different oil for next customer he changes before the last 100litres of your delivery is out. You cannot drain the line.

Mug post.

I simply alerted people to the best price i can find for kerosene the whole idea of bargain alerts... You seem to take issue with this.

I haven't the time to look at your posts in other forums but assume you one of these guys who gets a kick out of anoying folk online by trolling...... Sorry no rise here.... You can take your online bullying elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Topoilweb is still worth 15€ off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Of course you can drain the line. I have seen it done before. Where a driver was delivering a fill of prepaid online oil to a customer and got the house number mixed up. The customer left instructions to let him self in thtough the gates

My neibhour that all his birthdays had come at once.. but not si, the driver flicked the switch and reversed the fill back onto the truck and was on his way to the right house

Yes the driver sucked the oil back out, but the line was still full. Ask a delivery driver. It wasn't as simple as flicking the switch,he had to check the meter to ensure he got the same amount back. He was lucky to be able to get the nozzle down into the tank. A lot of the older tanks have a small opening into which the nozzle wouldn't fit. After years of delivering I have seen it all

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »

Hard to know with all the bickering

Advertisement