Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coffee Maker With Grinder - €49.99 [Aldi - From 21st Feb]

Options
  • 18-02-2013 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

Girlfriend spotted this in the newest Aldi magazine (not on the website strangely AFAIK).. will be in store on Thursday.

photo_100.jpg

Already have one of these but they're great!

You can buy 4 x 1kg bags of decent beans for about €30 delivered from DiscountCoffee.

Nothing beats waking up to a house smelling of fresh coffee!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

On website here.

Dammit - I was getting good at not spending money recently. Looks tempting, and might replace my 8 year old coffee filter. Never had gone down the route of getting a grinder before.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭achiman

Nothing beats waking up to a house smelling of fresh coffee![/QUOTE]

This is true:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

it is on their website...8 rows down. they must expect the grated cheese to be a better seller!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

fifib wrote: »
    it is on their website...8 rows down. they must expect the grated cheese to be a better seller!
    Spotted it now.. always thought hardware was at the top..

Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Mark 00

Just a heads up, I bought one of these from Aldi a couple of years ago and while the smell in the morning is fantastic be prepared to be woken up with the noise!

This thing makes some racket when grinding and the grinding lasts about 30 seconds.

Also its not the easiest to clean as you've got to clean a few different parts - the grinder box, the grinder box lid, the filter box, the insert underneath the filter box and the knucks where the ground coffee drops from the grind box to the filter box (Where coffee always manages to lodge) And everything must be bone dry when going back in to avoid the coffee sticking.

This video gives an idea of the parts and the noise. Worth noting he cuts about 15 seconds off the video just before the grinding gets really loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTzHG4J4G5Q&noredirect=1

Aside from all this if you don't mind a bit of noise or a couple of minutes of cleaning after every use it's not a bad machine. Just not for everybody!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, I heard the grinding in the morning but doesn't bother me.

I'm normally just up around the start time it starts grinding.. so by the time I'm showered and dressed, it's nice and hot ready to pop up a cup out the door.
    Mark 00 wrote:
    Also its not the easiest to clean as you've got to clean a few different parts - the grinder box, the grinder box lid, the filter box, the insert underneath the filter box and the knucks where the ground coffee drops from the grind box to the filter box (Where coffee always manages to lodge) And everything must be bone dry when going back in to avoid the coffee sticking.
    Just a clean of the filter should do the majority of the time - and as below, get a disposable filter and just give that a rinse.

I did have grief with moisture getting where the grounds are though.. be careful when pouring water in that you don't get any in that little chamber. But just the once.

Also, they come with an in-built filter - but buy a 40 pack of disposable paper filters for €1.25 to line it - easier to clean, prevent the filter becoming stained in time, and allows just the extra bit of time in the filter tends to make the coffee a little stronger.

Got my Russell Hobbs Grind & Brew as a Christmas present off the girlfriend last Christmas - was about £100.. if this is even half as good, it's a great buy!

EDIT: Actually.. does the one in Lidl have a little compartment for beans (as below in the Russell Hobbs)? Doesn't look like it from the picture... does it need to be filled every time it's used?

sr00044_l2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Mark 00

Ya Basq, you have to fill it with beans every time but that only takes a second.

+1 on the disposable filters. They're the only way to go.

The reason I was so pernickety about the cleaning was that I found if any grounds were left in the machine they tended to get very stale and taint the coffee.

Just my opinion. As i say it was still a good machine and with a three year guarantee you're always covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Mark 00 wrote: »
    Just a heads up, I bought one of these from Aldi a couple of years ago and while the smell in the morning is fantastic be prepared to be woken up with the noise!

This thing makes some racket when grinding and the grinding lasts about 30 seconds.

This video gives an idea of the parts and the noise. Worth noting he cuts about 15 seconds off the video just before the grinding gets really loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTzHG4J4G5Q&noredirect=1

Aside from all this if you don't mind a bit of noise or a couple of minutes of cleaning after every use it's not a bad machine. Just not for everybody!

These are back in Aldi tomorrow . Thinking of buying one. Would like to ask, after a year, are you happy with it ? Also, do you have to make a whole pot of coffee each time or can you make say, just enough for two cups of coffee at a time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

galtee boy wrote: »
    These are back in Aldi tomorrow . Thinking of buying one. Would like to ask, after a year, are you happy with it ? Also, do you have to make a whole pot of coffee each time or can you make say, just enough for two cups of coffee at a time ?

Anyone able to advise please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Only two left Aldi Blackrock in Cork if anyone is thinking of buying there. Not sure how much stock they had to begin with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement