Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

episode_03.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

For fireworks try to be on the road before 10am, customs won't be around before this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

i know sainsbury's in newry is the closest place for a lot of people but it has a worse selection than any other sainsbury's i have been to. Compared to the south it is really cheap but it is the most expensive supermarket in the north, and it's selling exactly the same products! Go to Asda and check out their Smart Price stuff- scarily cheap!
    If anyone is looking for Curley's it is just beside Asda in the Kennedy centre, Falls Road Belfast (Asda is in Westwood, just off the M1).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭kingshankly

banchang wrote: »
    thanks for all your info

is jonesboro best for fireworks ?
    jonesboro isnt what it was a couple of years ago constant raiding by the ruc has changed it gone are the cds dvds fireworks anything illegal plenty of choice on the old road to newry good quality but certainly not cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭masterK

Was in Sprucefield today, Toys'R'Us are giving 81p to the Euro so is good for the kiddies toys or consoles. They'd quite a few special offers on board games, jigsaws, disney stuff and others.

Popped into Sainburys too, they had 24 (440ml) cans of Carling for £9.98, Smirnoff was £11, 12 Corona for £10. Ariel powder 48's 2 for £8. Tins of roses, quality street etc. 2 for £10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 quadmad

hi does anyone know were to get fireworks in strabane???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Sainsbury in Newry today was an absolute nightmare, the place was packed out to the doors, including the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 upthewalls

Yeah I'd say it will be like this now until christmas, maybe look at other areas in the North - Strabane, Enniskillen or Belfast, all are close to the border. From Dublin to Strabane most of the towns are by-passed so its a good road. 3 hours approx from Kildare to Strabane going on M1 and branching off at Ardee.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

I was today in Enniskillen,make my shopping in ASDA wait almost 2 hours until they open shop (its open from 1pm i thought its 24hours). Exchange is 0,767 so not very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,819 ✭✭✭✭muffler

devil-80 wrote: »
    I was today in Enniskillen,make my shopping in ASDA wait almost 2 hours until they open shop (its open from 1pm i thought its 24hours). Exchange is 0,767 so not very good.
    It was posted a little further back in the thread about the Sunday trading laws in Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Last year I went up Newry on the bank Holiday Monday in October. Truns out I just missed a sale that was for the last week-end in October.
    Anyone know if there is going to be the same sale this week-end? Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Was up in Newry on Saturday stockpiling and while I got the usual low price SMA progress (€9.50, €3 saving), bonjela (€2.50, €3.20 saving), pampers (€10, €5 saving), calpol (€3.50, €2.50 saving) and 12pk coke (€3, €3.50 saving), I also have a very important recommendation for people who like good pizza.

In the fridge compartment there is a brand called Pizza Express which you can't get down here, but they are out of this world in terms of taste compared to what you get here. I know its not technically a bargain, but I feel I have to spread the good word as it would be a travesty not to try it.

delly wrote: »
    I got the usual low price SMA progress (€9.50, €3 saving), bonjela (€2.50, €3.20 saving), pampers (€10, €5 saving), calpol (€3.50, €2.50 saving) and 12pk coke (€3, €3.50 saving)
    Jesus, delly you shouldn't be bottle feeding the baby with coke :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 marcowil

Just for a heads up - You DO NOT need a Makro card to shop in the off-licence - it is open to the public and has a separate entrance to the main store.

Obviously if you are coming that far it would be good to shop in the main store as well but unless goods are on offer (Makro Mail) then the prices can be roughly the same if not more than the supermarkets.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

muffler wrote: »
    Jesus, delly you shouldn't be bottle feeding the baby with coke :eek:

Who said it was the drink :pac:

marcowil wrote: »
    but unless goods are on offer (Makro Mail) then the prices can be roughly the same if not more than the supermarkets.
    Yeah. I'd have to agree with that. Their specials are great but the ordinary shelf stock isn't much different when you add the VAT on. Thats the catch with makro - their stuff is all priced Ex VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

heymcflyx wrote: »
    .. sale that was for the last week-end in October. Anyone know if there is going to be the same sale this week-end? Thanks

Tel: (028) 3025 7560

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

muffler wrote: »
    Yeah. I'd have to agree with that. Their specials are great but the ordinary shelf stock isn't much different when you add the VAT on. Thats the catch with makro - their stuff is all priced Ex VAT

Agreed, I stated as much earlier on...make sure you have your homework done. If you have babies the nappies, (usually buy one box get one 1/2 price) plus SMA etc. are far cheaper than south due to VAT exemption + loo roll, kitchen roll in bulk is obviously cheaper.
    Didn't know about the offie being card free though. All requests are now off, every who had me filling up for them can drive up themselves now for the cheap wine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

TarfHead wrote: »
    Tel: (028) 3025 7560

Eh? Thanks:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

beer £7 a case for stella 18pk, becks 18pk, bulmers 6 pint btls, carlsberg 18 tins, miller 15 bottles and 24 *275ml coors light in asda till christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

quadmad wrote: »
    hi does anyone know were to get fireworks in strabane???

drive pass asda and pass iceland into town and turn right you will see a variety shop between two trafflc lights on the right hand side

i was able to get mine there a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

Was in Enniskillen yesterday 2 hours from Ballinasloe road is ok. Did a massive spend on non-perishables. Erneside is a new shopping centre with Marks and Sparks not opening there until this Thursday. Definitely worth going,. Erneside had Holland and Barrett and some of their supplements were half and sometimes a quarter the price here. Merrills is a good shop for outdoor clothing, also there was Argos and a good Xmas shop as well. There is a Clark shoe shop which again is cheaper than down here. My wife bought a pair of boots last week which were €85 in Athlone worked out at €70 here.
    Across the road was ASDA. A huge store that sold everything, not too busy as it was Monday, shelves were fairly full, look for the roll back offers some stuff is incredibly cheap 3 ties for £5 3 shirts for £7, parecetamol 16 for 15p(Only 2 per person) well worth a visit another €800 that has left the country for the North, I reckon we saved at least €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

I went up on Tuesday for a flying visit.
    First went up to The Outlet in the Puma shop they are doing an offer at the moment.Buy 1 item and get 2nd half price, i bought 2 pairs of Puma runners worked out at 75euro.Guy at the counter said there should be a lot of different deals in November.

Headed into Newry supervalu and bought 6 crates)24 cans) of Magners i saved around 14eur per 24 cans comparing the price to the south.Probably better offers in Asda but didnt have time to head to kilkeel or Belfast.

Finally popped into Sainsburys and got two Tins of Cadburys roses for 10sterling so 12.70euro.I think 2 tins of roses down here 20 euro not sure.Fireworks on sale in a nearby office in a laneway its signposted from the traffic lights when u leave the centre there in Newry.

I will be heading up again before christmas and i will put more planning and take note of prices down here first before i travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭northdubgal

We have started shopping in Sainsburys for the past couple of months but we were always in a rush and couldnt look around for Asda or IceLand. In relation to the roundabout as you come into Newry where are they?

I thought iceland only sold frozen food is that correct? And which, out of the 3, would you recommend for price & quality?

I spotted my OH's xmas pressie up there, a nokia phone which costs €560 costs £390 up there.. :eek: (sim free obviously :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

dont bother with kilkeel asda a bit of a let down better to go to belfast one

at least then you can go to sainsburys in sprucefield

also a good tesco in lisburn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Nothing against Kilkeel, I love that place, but it is not a shopping destination :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭kingshankly

We have started shopping in Sainsburys for the past couple of months but we were always in a rush and couldnt look around for Asda or IceLand. In relation to the roundabout as you come into Newry where are they?

I thought iceland only sold frozen food is that correct? And which, out of the 3, would you recommend for price & quality?

I spotted my OH's xmas pressie up there, a nokia phone which costs €560 costs £390 up there.. :eek: (sim free obviously :P)

wouldn't bother with asda in kilkeel Iceland in newry is small enough and has some great bargains and not just in frozen food to get there take the left for the buttercrane drive straight through take a right followed by a left after 50 yards go straight through the roundabout passing tk max it's beside dunnes car park 30p for hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 medic143

The asda in Kilkeel may be small but I call into it after walking in the Mournes and they usually have a good selection of short dated items (maybe smaller shop, slower turnover, more shortdated??) that I am happy to clutter up my freezer with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do they have an off licence?

• Advertisement

In Asda Strabane tonight - 1 litre bottles Smirnoff for £13 :) (€16.50 - €17.00 max.)
    20 x 330ml bottles Heineken for £13
    15 x 440ml cans Carlsberg for £7 (about €9)

Advertisement